Sponsored by:

jdm to uk spec!

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2015, 02:46 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm to uk spec!

as per the title,has anybody done it?ive read loads saying the jdm's are a superior platform.currently have a jdm bug sti but have been looking at two newer models,a uk spec sti on an 08 plate which has just been rebuilt using uprated parts and an 04 blob thats fully forged running 390bhp with what sounds like a lot of time and money put into it.both are around the same price,both have full service history etc.would i regret switching to a uk spec?im swaying towards the blob at the minute.any advice or opinions welcome,cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 02:49 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Haters are gonna hate but I love my 2.5 hawk sti never had a jdm but had the 2.0 blob sti which I tuned to 470 on standard internals

You might want to ask why it's fully forged and only running 390 as I've stated above there is no need to forge at that level

Unless it's had some sort of problem best to fund out though

I never liked the hatch but I'm swaying towards one won't get rid of the hawk though haha

Steve

Originally Posted by ryan51
as per the title,has anybody done it?ive read loads saying the jdm's are a superior platform.currently have a jdm bug sti but have been looking at two newer models,a uk spec sti on an 08 plate which has just been rebuilt using uprated parts and an 04 blob thats fully forged running 390bhp with what sounds like a lot of time and money put into it.both are around the same price,both have full service history etc.would i regret switching to a uk spec?im swaying towards the blob at the minute.any advice or opinions welcome,cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:02 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JDM bug isnt twinscroll, and isnt much superior to the UK car really.

Stronger of the 2.0 engines, but no real difference to a UK 2.0.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:05 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thank you for the quick reply,ive asked the garage to let me know who built,mapped it etc so i can get a better idea.sounds like its had a fair bit of work done to it. www.williams motor.co.uk. if you want to have a look,im still learning everyday about these cars,i think it may be 390bhp due to the turbo used on it.sc38 billet i believe?the hatch is at r and w motor company in slough,thanks again,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:44 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

I can honestly say I wish I's gone UK, I feel that buying a jdm is a lottery. I have had the car less than two weeks and already have replaced the top hose, steering belt tomorrow, the car is struggling to start now which may mean a battery, the engine mount knocks, the brand new brake pads squeal like billio and now the smell of petrol is coming through the heating vents. This is in under two weeks and I'm sure 'some' of it is due to sudden daily driving in cold conditions.

I guess I'm trying to say buying a UK car means you're buying something that's at least been driven recently and is being handed over by somebody who knows the car.

Last edited by lloydsound; 18 January 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:47 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydsound
I can honestly verify that buying a jdm is a lottery. I have had the car less than two weeks and already have replaced the top hose, steering belt tomorrow, the car is struggling to start now which may mean a battery, the engine mount knocks, the brand new brake pads squeal like billio and now the smell of petrol is coming through the heating vents. This is in under two weeks and I'm sure 'some' of it is due to sudden daily driving in cold conditions.

I guess I'm trying to say buy a jdm that's already here and being regularly driven.
Not really. JDM's are normally better looked after than UK models due to the stringent MOT type testing in Japan, and the streets generally more forgiving.

Buying a used car is a lottery, however the trader will put things right as you have a three month warranty on used car sales.

You need to contact Hurst Lloyd before mentioning these things, as they will no doubt put them right for you as part of the legally binding warranty.
Old 18 January 2015, 03:52 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

As trinity says Lloyd, things like this are not really down to it being uk or jdm. Our uk blob is used daily, I had to replace the battery last year, the rad top hose a few years back, the power steering belt squealed until it was serviced a couple of months ago for a little while.

Regarding the jdm bugs, do they not red line at 8000rpm?
Old 18 January 2015, 04:19 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

yeh the jdm bugs have a higher rev limit.from what ive read,never hit it haha.has 9000rpm on my clocks.what are peoples opinions on the 04 blobeye on the williams motors page?does it sound like a good platform?cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 04:21 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

yeh the jdm bugs have a higher rev limit.from what ive read,never hit it haha.has 9000rpm on my clocks.what are peoples opinions on the 04 blobeye on the williams motors page?does it sound like a good platform?cheers,ryan.
the overpriced UK spec blob for just under £11k?

Buy a JDM STI Blob for that, and your also close to a Hawk JDM STI. Better car all round.
Old 18 January 2015, 04:31 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

yeh,just shy of 11k.its quite pricey but built and forged etc allready.surely capable of more power with a different turbo etc??i would prefer to stay jap but surely then if i wanted to say get around 500bhp it would need forging,building etc(unless i can find one allready sorted)excuse my lack of knowledge,im still learning everyday about them,thanks for your time,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 04:34 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

yeh,just shy of 11k.its quite pricey but built and forged etc allready.surely capable of more power with a different turbo etc??i would prefer to stay jap but surely then if i wanted to say get around 500bhp it would need forging,building etc(unless i can find one allready sorted)excuse my lack of knowledge,im still learning everyday about them,thanks for your time,ryan.
Hahah I did a man read, didnt realise its had a forge build.

That might work out great for then if thats your plans. Check who did the build etc all the usual stuff, an engine is only as good as the person that built it.

You can get 450 out of a standard JDM twinscroll engine and will be far nicer drive on UK A roads...
Old 18 January 2015, 04:39 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

haha,mate thats what i do.then have to read it again,yeh it says forged engine,rods,pistons,loads of other goodies.running 390bhp but i believe thats due to the turbo on it.sc38 billet.probably maxed out.also has full service history etc.but yeh,have asked them to let me know who built/mapped it etc.it was previously sold by them but the guys circumstances changed so was returned.will get onto them again.look like they have some nice stock there,cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 04:48 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

I was actually relating to the fact that a jdm import may not have been driven for 5 months

Originally Posted by Trinity
Not really. JDM's are normally better looked after than UK models due to the stringent MOT type testing in Japan, and the streets generally more forgiving.

Buying a used car is a lottery, however the trader will put things right as you have a three month warranty on used car sales.

You need to contact Hurst Lloyd before mentioning these things, as they will no doubt put them right for you as part of the legally binding warranty.
Old 18 January 2015, 04:49 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

I was actually relating to the fact that a jdm import may not have been driven for 5 months
My JDM never had any problems whatsoever, until a wheel bearing three years down the line
Old 18 January 2015, 05:04 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

that was my old blue sti, it was me whom had it forged and forked out for the rebuild and turbo etc, its since been through at least 2 or 3 owners since, put it this way, I sold it a hell of a lot more miles ago for 9.5k.
Old 18 January 2015, 05:22 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply mate,who built/mapped it etc?what would your advice be to me about it?cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 05:25 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can honestly say I wish I's gone UK, I feel that buying a jdm is a lottery. I have had the car less than two weeks and already have replaced the top hose, steering belt tomorrow, the car is struggling to start now which may mean a battery, the engine mount knocks, the brand new brake pads squeal like billio and now the smell of petrol is coming through the heating vents. This is in under two weeks and I'm sure 'some' of it is due to sudden daily driving in cold conditions.

I guess I'm trying to say buying a UK car means you're buying something that's at least been driven recently and is being handed over by somebody who knows the car.
Sounds like you got bit of a Lemon Jdm
Old 18 January 2015, 05:26 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I don't think I'd want anther uk impreza after having a spec c
Old 18 January 2015, 05:28 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

was rebuilt by Subaru 4 you and mapped by Simon JGM (RIP) when I had it, as i said its now got more mileage, more owners and now want 1.5k more...

One thing I will say, I have now seen it for sale with them for over a year now, it went down for a bit and has now popped back up for sale with them again, if you were interested I would ask why that is, was cherished in my ownership, not sure about the 2 owners after.

My honest opinion says at 11k you should be looking at a newer car, have seen forged hawks go for less then that recently.
Old 18 January 2015, 05:42 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thank you for your reply.the garage did say a guy bought it from them but due to a change of jobs he needed a diesel for work and returned it 4 days ago.im pretty interested as i think it would make a good platform for more power but totally agree with you about a newer car for that cash.there are a couple uk spec forged hawks on the internet for around the same money.im not sure about the reputations of sone garages tho,think one is at clives performance?cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 06:01 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Don't touch Clive's performance, well that's what I've seen on here.
Old 18 January 2015, 06:24 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thought as much,thanks for confirmation tho,cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 06:37 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Why do you want a newer car? What's wrong with your bug?
Keep yours put a few pound onto that if it's a nice car?
Old 18 January 2015, 06:48 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

purely that i would like something newer with a few less miles on the clock.i have been looking at hatches mainly,its just that blob caught my eye due to the work gone into it.cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 06:52 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

purely that i would like something newer with a few less miles on the clock.i have been looking at hatches mainly,its just that blob caught my eye due to the work gone into it.cheers,ryan.

There was a JDM hatch which was local to us, the garage who look after my cars had it in there and it looked well, it was up for sale around 12k think he sold for 11k in there end was a real nice car.

I think if you're looking at a hatch, be concerned about the engine regardless of the mileage as they seem to fail at any mileage, unless it's already been forged.

I was looking for a hawk for over a year until I found one.
Old 18 January 2015, 07:00 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

ive seen a hatch i like the look of,engine has been rebuilt using uprated parts but not forged(r and w motors in slough).only jdm hatch i have seen is at hurst cars but a bit more then im thinking of spending.yeh ive read quite a few threads saying it can take a long time to find what your looking for,cheers,ryan.
Old 18 January 2015, 07:05 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Nice long as it's been done properly, I'm always looking for bargains in nice performance cars just hard to find good ones these days.

Good luck on your search.

Last edited by BBB3; 18 January 2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 18 January 2015, 07:16 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

thanks,will keep on looking,cheers,ryan.