Sponsored by:

Returning to Scoob ownership...

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2016, 09:18 PM
AngryBaldMan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to Scoob ownership...

Hi folks, It's a long time since I posted here, so long I've no idea what my old login details are. Back in the day (1997) I had a Turbo, UK spec, loved it. I'm thinking about getting another. But I've noticed you chaps have been very busy whilst my back was turned inventing things to make them go faster, and Subaru have brought out another thousand models, each with 1.1million variants

So my question is, what's the best think to go for in the £9-11k bracket. For road use. I have no need of luxury, just power. However, having owned an R32GTR with 700bhp I know that sometimes too much, is too much. So I'd be happy in the 400-450bhp area.

I look forward to your suggestions, and hopefully you can fill in my knowledge gaps.
Old 20 December 2016, 11:55 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Bro!!! Long time, dude - I hope you're well!

Well, it all depends what you want and which shape you prefer. £9-11k will get you a clean Type R, a very nice, low-mileage Bugeye, or a JDM widetrack Blobeye STi. JDM Bugs are single scroll but JDM Blobs and later JDM models are twinscroll. Hawkeye Type UK's have the 2.5L engine, which has its issues. A JDM Hawk STi (retains the 2.0L engine) will likely be a grand or two over what you're looking to pay, unless it has silly mileage.

Regarding power, 400-450bhp is ample for a road car - arguably too much. All the cars I've mentioned above would need a turbo upgrade to make even 400bhp. Bigger turbo = more power but more lag. Newage STi engines are supposedly good for 450bhp, but it's a risk, with longevity compromised.

Personally, I'd get a 2005 JDM Blob STi. An exhaust and remap will return circa 350bhp, which I reckon you'd find plenty fast enough for a fun road car, especially with the quick spool from the twinscroll set-up. Or, as luxury isn't a priority, a Blob Spec C is another option (all Spec Cs are JDM). These are lighter and more raw than standard Blobs. I've seen some nice ones for sale recently within your stated budget. A Bug S202 might cost a little more - depends on mileage.
Old 21 December 2016, 08:29 AM
AngryBaldMan
Scooby Newbie

Some great advice there. I'll start crawling through the classifieds.
Old 21 December 2016, 08:38 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My bro maybe selling his 04 jdm blob sti in blue with 40k miles soon, its got a fmic, 650cc injectors, sc42 billet twin scroll turbo. If he does will let you know