Problems after putting diesel in petrol STI

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2020, 09:15 PM
Mandz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after putting diesel in petrol STI

Can anyone help?

I have an Impreza STI & got dodgy fuel a few weeks ago. Turned out to be the petrol stations fault, diesel instead of super unleaded in the pumps. I had filled the car right up!! Car went about a mile & died. Got it towed to a friend's house, emptied the tank, cleaned the spark plugs etc. Thought the car was sorted. Took it to get a cat back exhaust fitted. Mechanic happened to ask if we emptied both fuel tanks. We hadn't, so we had been driving the car with 1/2 tank filled with diesel.. Got the other tank cleaned out too but the car now seems to be a bit sluggish & there seems to be a "flat spot" around 3500rpm.. Asked a few people what they think could be the problem, some people have said to change the spark plugs or that the turbo might be sticking..
Any idea what it could be? What else should I be checking/cleaning?
Old 04 January 2020, 10:27 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Once flushed out there shouldnt be any issues, a few of the TV shows have run cars on wrong fuel and they didnt die,
Have you changed the fuel filter?

Might be worth whipping the filter off the end of the fuel pump and checking that, if they had contamination there could be particles clogging the filter.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 04 January 2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05 January 2020, 09:54 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contaminated lambda sensor? Happened with dodgy fuel before, but not sure what diesel does to it?
Old 06 January 2020, 04:36 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Considering most people on here say that running anything less than 99ron distilled from unicorn tears will cause det, ruin your engine and a bring a curse on your household for a hundred years... I'm amazed at the casual response to this, that a quick flush of the tanks and all will be fine after running around on half a tank of derv?!
Old 06 January 2020, 09:10 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew someone who put about a fiver of V-Power diesel in a JDM Blob STI. He filled the rest with normal V-Power. It never ran right again and ended up needing a rebuild due to a damaged piston IIRC. Could be a coincidence, but he never had an issue before the diesel went in.

On the plus side he's a total **** so it wasn't all bad
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 January 2020, 01:39 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
I knew someone who put about a fiver of V-Power diesel in a JDM Blob STI. He filled the rest with normal V-Power. It never ran right again and ended up needing a rebuild due to a damaged piston IIRC. Could be a coincidence, but he never had an issue before the diesel went in.

On the plus side he's a total **** so it wasn't all bad
Other way round would do more damage, as the diesel is a partial lubricant as well, the petrol would have stripped the lube out of the pump etc,
I would imagine the temp of the zorst gases would quickly burn off any contaminates on the 02 sensor,

Im not expert on these things., So has anyone else done this and have any experience?
Old 06 January 2020, 03:51 PM
siluro
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Other way round would do more damage, as the diesel is a partial lubricant as well, the petrol would have stripped the lube out of the pump etc,
I would imagine the temp of the zorst gases would quickly burn off any contaminates on the 02 sensor,

Im not expert on these things., So has anyone else done this and have any experience?
I am not expert on the matter but i have put petrol in my diesel Punto once. Luckily I never started it and got AA to fix it on the garage forecourt. The AA told me the same that it is worse for a diesel car to put petrol in due to the lack of lubricant that the petrol removes. Only went to supermarket for breakfast. 2 hours later car was fixed but my wallet was £200 lighter plus the £25 worth of petrol I put in.

Surely the station is to blame as the diesel nozzle will not fit in a petrol filler so they must have fuked up. Bill them, I would.

Last edited by siluro; 06 January 2020 at 03:53 PM.