Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

celica gt4 wrc, anyone been in one?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 11:16 AM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default celica gt4 wrc, anyone been in one?

A little while back i test drove one of these, the chap was a well known gt4 nut apparently off of one of the forums, went had a look over his car with the intention of maybe buying it ( this was before i brought my impreza) Had a look over it, too be fair it was a very nice car and he had looked after it well, had a few mods with rr printout of 309.1 bhp so with that power was looking for ward to haveing a drive and thought it would sell itself. Took a friend with me , hes always been into his impreza's but he fancied a nose at it. We took it out and i put my foot down off a roundabout and well, not alot happened, the chap was sat beside me with a grin on his face saying, Goes well doesnt it? At which i was quite honest and said no not realy. Wish now i had handed him the keys to my astra turbo i had drove down in that was 266bhp so he could see for himself that his car was a bit guttless. Anyway to cut a long story short i didnt buy it but ever since that day ive been prety much gutted about it as i was expecting so much from the car and a bit confused as on many occasions id heard these cars were the muts nuts, and to be fair i think they look great. I ended up buying my type r v-limited which i love to bits and would make the gt4 look like it was in reverse but i still wounder to this day, did i just drive a bad one or are they all that bad? It was the first one i drove but totaly put me off even looking at another.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:34 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Probs only 240bhp ish as std regardless of print out, and weighing in at 1400kg it wont be earth moving.

My mate has a stripped one at 280ish, a little slower than my similar WRX.

They are limited by the std turbo and ecu.
Old 30 December 2009, 12:12 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

i'v had 2 scoobs 1 uk and 1 import the gt4 was better than the uk and on a par with the import both of them were standerd
the gt4 i had did have a few odds n sods fitted IE:exh, fillter but that was about it i must say that i preferd the gt4 to the scoobs i just found it was better car for me and alot more reliable also alot better on fuel when you do need parts there is not alot between them on cost
also think the gt4 feels slower as you do'nt get the turbo kick you do on the scoobs (dependent of what turbo is fitted to the scoob) this is down to the twin entry setup used on the gt4
Old 30 December 2009, 03:08 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a GT4 running just shy of 300bhp. Nice car but not as nimble handling as my 2003 STI and not earth-shatteringly quick either. Turbo spools up very quickly thanks to twin entry design (as mentioned above) but to run more than 1.2 bar boost safely (giving just short of 300bhp) requires new engine internals, so very expensive to tune. Also, very complex suspension system with many parts that are expensive to replace - like the wishbone arms that cost over £300 each! The nice thing about them though is that most other drivers haven't a clue what they are, so quite handy for a stealth machine...
Old 30 December 2009, 08:35 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

or uk scoob 215 out the box or gt4 at 255 put a ebc on the 4 set@ 1.1 and get roughly 280 ish how much to get uk scoob to 280ish ??? can this be done with just a ebc ??
i do'nt know never done it myself just wonderd how the costs comparied ??
and as above the fig 8's on the suspention do go and are not cheap too replace
Old 31 December 2009, 10:50 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They have quite long gearing too, which makes them seem slower than what they are. I personally really like them, just wish they had a better exhaust note!
Old 31 December 2009, 04:12 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

not to bad with full 3" turbo back no cat blitz
Old 31 December 2009, 08:01 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

My mate has a bog standard uk GT4 and its ssslllooowww.
To be honest it looks superb just lacks power.
Im running 330/320 and it was realy struggling to even look fast.
Old 01 January 2010, 10:25 AM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

I was just very supprised as yes they look great and i was just expecting good things from it. I like that feel you get of a turbo suddenly comeing on boost, and it just felt like a na car.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:36 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the opposite experience. My mrs' brother bought one and he took me out (we were 3 up) and I thought it'd be quite slow but it was actually fairly rapid. Didn't have much done either, exhaust and filter iirrc
Old 04 January 2010, 09:53 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had one for 2 years, very nice car imo. Only has basic mods running 1.1 bar and few other bits but plenty quick enough. Different experience to a similar powered Impreza but a very rare and a nice looking car.

Old 05 January 2010, 09:42 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's a great looking car mad hammer !
Old 05 January 2010, 02:54 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

They are a very different experience. Really solid, well screwed together cars and as said they have long gearing, fairly linear power delivery and quick spooling turbo.

This makes for a deceptively quick car much the same as an BMW E36 M3. Which again feels slower than even a stock UK scooby turbo running 220bhp.

I had a GT4 myself running forged internals stage 2 turbos, apexi and more and running over 400bhp. But it didn't feel that quick, however it could easily out pace my mates E46 M3 BMW, which I highly rate and regard. And destroy a UK scooby

Weak point is the piston bores and cracked a bore on my GT4 at the time which was an end to my ownership of it. Can't believe the builder didn't put a liner in but thats a different story.

Its taking many cars and years to realize it, but power is very deceptive and the way a car delivers power and cars torque levels make a significant difference to how quick a car feels.