Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mondeo 2 litres any good

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 03:24 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Mondeo 2 litres any good

I used my scooby to take some stuff to the dump at the weekend, which I really dont want to make a habit of!

Have been thinking about getting a second car to run in winter, for dump runs and to basically not care much about.

Do Mondeo hatchbacks have split/fold rear seats? I dont want an estate, but must be able to fit a fair amount of crap in with the seats down!

Thinking of spending about £2-2.5k and the 1.8 and TD look a bit too slow. You seem to be able to get fairly decent cars for this sort of money.

Is anyone going to put me off?
Old 20 April 2005, 03:35 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can spend £1500 on a minter. I think the 1.8TD does the job fine, and the 1.8 and 2.0 cars are also just fine. TBH you can't go far wrong with a mondeo.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:38 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

It would make a very good second car -- the hatch has a cavernous boot already AND split / fold seats so you can carry a lot of crap in them.

IMHO there's not much to choose in performance between the 1.8 and 2.0 petrols. The 1.8 has slightly shorter gearing than the 2.0 so the out-and-out performance is similar .... I certainly wouldn't overlook a 1.8 if it's a clean car.

The 1.6 is slow, but I ran a 1.8 for a couple of years and it would cruise at 90 all day and could be spurred along quite nicely. Expect about 33mpg on a motorway, about 25-30 round town.

Two things to check -- cambelt and tensioner change every 70K and make sure the clutch has either been done, or can't be made to slip. The front subframe has to be dropped to replace the clutch which makes it a long & costly job.

The bodies are galvanised so rust isn't a problem.
Old 20 April 2005, 03:49 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Thats interesting about the 1.8. There seem to be a lot more of them going about than the 2.0, probably ex-fleet. I reckon the only way to be sure about the performance is a test drive

I checked the insurance and I can get it for £220 with zero no claims bonus

Time for some serious autotrader and auction crawling me thinks. Maybe even good old ebay if I can get one close enough to me. The drawbacks of Aberdeen living
Old 20 April 2005, 08:35 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
The front subframe has to be dropped to replace the clutch which makes it a long & costly job
Unless one of the captive nuts un-captivates. We gave up on dad's, and lifted the engine out, probably worked out easier in the end.

Back on topic though... As the others have said, I'm sure it would be ideal based on what you said you were looking for.

John.
Old 20 April 2005, 08:45 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

My dad has had a 2 litre mk1 mondeo for nearly 10 years now...very good car!
Old 21 April 2005, 11:38 AM
eclipse
Scooby Regular

I have a mondeo as a second car, paid £1600 a year ago for a 2.0l Ghia X leather seats, air con, cruise all the extras. Good cheap car.
Old 21 April 2005, 12:23 PM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Thats interesting about the 1.8. There seem to be a lot more of them going about than the 2.0, probably ex-fleet. I reckon the only way to be sure about the performance is a test drive

I checked the insurance and I can get it for £220 with zero no claims bonus

Time for some serious autotrader and auction crawling me thinks. Maybe even good old ebay if I can get one close enough to me. The drawbacks of Aberdeen living
Shame you didn't post this a week ago, mate of mine just flogged a 2ltr Mondeo Ghia X (W reg), he bought it off ebay six months ago and was a (high mileage) minter with FFSH. Had leather, air, cruise & all the toys and he paid just 2.5K.....crazy when the new price was 20K !! I drove it & was impressed. Check ebay, theye are always ex fleet ones for sale
Old 21 April 2005, 05:55 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I'd avoid the 1.8TD though, extremely crude and slow example of diesel technology from 2 decades ago (or was it 3 decades?). The 1.8 and 2.0 petrols are great engines in comparison and not much between them as has been said above. V6 has a fair bit more grunt but they're known for the head gaskets going so probably best avoided as a cheap runabout. Zetec engines (all the 4-pots) are pretty bulletproof.