Abandon car-Legal situation

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 01:25 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Abandon car-Legal situation

Hello

There's an old BMW parked round the corner from my work. It's been there for at least a year and never seems to move, The tax on it ran out at the end of December and at the moment it hasn't had a ticket from a warden, despite them being in the area a lot. Does anyone know the legal situation regarding getting my greasy mitts on it if it is abandoned? I've been told to contact the council/DVLA?Police but I'm not sure what's the best option....

Cheers

Brian
Old 01 February 2005, 01:37 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dome
Hello

There's an old BMW parked round the corner from my work. It's been there for at least a year and never seems to move, The tax on it ran out at the end of December and at the moment it hasn't had a ticket from a warden, despite them being in the area a lot. Does anyone know the legal situation regarding getting my greasy mitts on it if it is abandoned? I've been told to contact the council/DVLA?Police but I'm not sure what's the best option....

Cheers

Brian
lol....

There is always abandoned cars lerking around my way, a few times me and my mate have taken a shine to them and given them a good home...

We only used them as parts and never sold them on...!!!

But to be honest i don't think it is legal...???

G.
Old 01 February 2005, 01:53 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

I've just phoned the council and the aren't interested unless it 'poses a danger'- ie broken windows, no petrol cap etc. Might pay the local police station a visit, apparrantly they can contact the owner and find out what the crack is. I've tried the note on the windscreen thing but no response, might give it another shot though. I was surprised to find that local traffic wardens (Glasgow) aren't interested in the tax, I thought they would have been.
Old 01 February 2005, 02:03 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You can claim a disposed car, cant remember how though.
Old 01 February 2005, 02:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It'll get picked up by the authorities if it's causing an obstruction (i.e. in the road). Just a pity it's not currently in the road isn't it
Old 01 February 2005, 02:06 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
You can claim a disposed car, cant remember how though.
You're right but I can't remember exactly how either I know you should contact the DVLA, council & Police to determine is if it's been dumped and if it has then you can claim it and apply for a V5 after a certain period of time.
Old 01 February 2005, 02:18 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Ok, this is spooky. I've just looked out the window and 2 coppers have stuck a ticket on it. And it REALLY wasn't me that told them. I'm not on lunch til 3.30, i was going to the cop shop then.

I think nows the perfect time to put a note on it with my phone number....
Old 01 February 2005, 02:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spoke with the owner. He says that if he behaves well, he should be let out to move it in about April...
Old 01 February 2005, 02:30 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Don't know if it's still the case after changes in the law. However, at one time you could apply to the DVLA for the log-book of a car. They'd get in contact with the last registered keeper, who would have 14 days to reply. If they failed to respond or stated they had now sold the car, the DVLA would send a new V5 to you. There-by you have done things by the book and done it legally

As I said, this is how it USED to work. Maybe a quick call to the DVLA would sort it out.

Hope it helps
Old 01 February 2005, 02:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by thecirsch
Don't know if it's still the case after changes in the law. However, at one time you could apply to the DVLA for the log-book of a car. They'd get in contact with the last registered keeper, who would have 14 days to reply.
That's phenomenal. I'm going to look at the Wedding announcements in the local papers, and claim as many cars as I can while the owners are on honeymoon...
Old 01 February 2005, 04:36 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Just got a phone call form the owner, I should mention it's a G reg BMW 325i. The owners lost his license hence the reason the car is sitting. He also won't be able to afford to insure it when he gets his licence back so might sell it, however he's looking for a grand for it. It's just been MOT'd but it's not as cheap as i hoped. Ah well, nice idea....
Old 01 February 2005, 04:38 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Petrol, lighter.

Soon get removed when shes burning like a good'n

You watch!
Old 01 February 2005, 04:43 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dome
Just got a phone call form the owner, I should mention it's a G reg BMW 325i. The owners lost his license hence the reason the car is sitting. He also won't be able to afford to insure it when he gets his licence back so might sell it, however he's looking for a grand for it. It's just been MOT'd but it's not as cheap as i hoped. Ah well, nice idea....
I'd have it for that if it was nearer
Old 01 February 2005, 04:50 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

It has sat for a looooooong time though so would not doubt start falling apart if it was to get used regularly. It's nice and low too, shame he wants so much fo it.

If you're after one Paul have a look on here, some nice ones for sale in the forum (think you'll have to register though...)

http://www.e30zone.co.uk/