rear seat space (if there is any)
reliability/running costs.

I am looking at the models from 95+. any information is appreciated. thanks
Old 22 January 2005, 11:59 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1/4 in just under 14sec at around 100mph
zero - unless driver & passenger are 5' rear seats can only be used to hold stuff (and not much of it)
not great/hugely expensive

If finances are a concern at all it's not worth the bother. Lucky to average 17mpg, routine servicing is cheap but frequent (I go for an oil change ever second month, and plug change every second of these). Tyres last for ever, engines are rumoured to be good for 60k, just not the ones in my car. Twin turbo system is great when it works, unfortunately that's not the norm. Modding involves ECU first (don't even think of doing the exhaust first) and then a remap/check of fueling every time anything is done to the car. Brakes are fine for road use, but useless after more than 4-5 miles on track, even with uprated pads and fluid.
They are great to drive but only really worth while as a second car IMHO - think on it as an overweight Caterfield with a roof.
Old 31 January 2005, 12:57 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

check out http://www.mazdrotaryclub.com for any detail you may seek. I know Robertio didn't have much joy with his but i can honestly say i love mine to death & goes like no other car i've been in. It is true they are neither cheap to run or buy but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. I'm actually paying less insurance on my RX7 & mondeo combined than i was on a UK scooby so it's not all bad.
Where abouts are you based i'm sure we can a few locals to educate you in the ways of the best looking Jap car
Si
Old 31 January 2005, 08:48 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Robertio
They are great to drive but only really worth while as a second car IMHO - think on it as an overweight Caterfield with a roof.
Surely you mean Caterham or Westfield?
Old 31 January 2005, 09:07 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
Surely you mean Caterham or Westfield?
Generic term, like when people say Oxbridge when referring to universities
Old 31 January 2005, 09:18 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Caterfield = generic term for Caterham / Westfield / similar, normally saves unnecessary typing.

Si, you're not honestly trying to say they can fit into the reliable category? Add together all the time that the FDs belonging to Angus, Steve, Bob, Marc, Rik, Muzzyd, Gav, Donato and myself have been running properly - no boost issues, engine popping, etc. and I doubt you'd get 12 months.
Old 31 January 2005, 10:41 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

lol yeah but you cant always go on about the downside else it gives too much weight to the bad points, hell all cars have them, not disagreeing at all. But once runnign correctly you cant ask for much more & at least you know there's going to be a rebuild at somepoint so it's not a surprise. Guess i'm just a half full kinda person (unless it's stella then it's all empty lol).
Reminds me of the amsuing but fairly accurate thing i think it was on here i read some time back:
You have 3 options but you can only pick 2 of them: Performance, reliability or economical. Or words to that effect. Very basic summary but quite true generally. Ahh i'm waffling no car turns heads or performs like the FD IMO so i'm willing to put up with any of it's short comings although i have yet to hit any of the big ones yet just general running costs (is it worth me mentioning cheaper insurance again? lol)
Back on subject anything else you want specifically you haven't found on MRC? eg of service prices although again to look on the bright side things like using mineral oil make changing oil every 3k miles significantly cheaper than doing far less often with synth stuff like i used to do with the scoob...
Si
Old 01 February 2005, 08:14 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Not actually owned one of these,but do rate everything about from a technical point of view.
I have broken a number of earlier ones and 1 tt rs model aswell,in my scrap yard.
i was very impressed with the amount of alluminium used throughout the car,the styling,the way the engine sounds,and the sleek shape of the body.Kinda reminds me of the batmobile (the newer one that is).

I would buy one if I could afford to keep a second car for fundays (and £3000 for the engine rebuild).It may aswell be a 2 seater even if it has the seats in the back.

Had a nice chap from canada buy a few things from me who had lots of expereince with these,he sugested putting a tablespoon of castor oil with every full tank of fuel to keep the rotor tips lubricated.
He was adament that they can do 100k miles if looked after properly.

Unfortunately I still find that engines are frequently requested on most parts searches,but not much more than scooby engines considering there is probably a few hundred scoobs for every rx7 in the country.

Amazing the way the engine revs and sounds,makes me want to get one every time I think about it........(ok enough crap for now)
Old 01 February 2005, 09:08 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

yeah the theory is to run a bit of 2 stroke oil in the petrol if so desired to help & to account for the oil potentially not being injected as it should be done as part of the normal engine cycle thingy, not really necessary on standardish FD's but many do. 100k miles (km yes) is probably a bit optimistic for the FD (3rd gen) engine but the T2's & 1st gens can go well over this without much trouble...Gota love those turbos thou lol
Si
PS go on you know it makes sense lol