Mazda RX7

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 11:14 AM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a couple of questions on finding a car

When did they go out of production? How much would it be to import one these days (ie the best available, pref standard) or is there anywhere that still sells them (ie warrender et al)

What about the final specs too, heard the last ones had a little more than the 240bhp uk model and had some slight cosmetic changes so any pic would be appreciated!

TIA
Old 16 November 2003, 03:41 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

click here for newera Miguel has got a number of these on the examples page to give you an idea of prices etc etc & pix
& copied & pasted kuz i dont no **** :

"Well I'll start from the beginning I guess. UK rx7's released 1992 were 237 bhp
approx 124 of them sold in uk front an rear strut brace 2 seater only with rear storage bins, sunroof, a/c, black leather seats. 5sp manual only, cruise control, pre cat on downpipe, main cat, hard suspension.

Japanese rx7 released 1991 255bhp the different models were/are type x, type s, touring x, touring s, type r1, type r2, type rz, type rs, type rb, type rb bashurst, typr rb bashurst x, type rsr, type r, rb-s, spirirt r-a, spirit r-b, spirit r-c.
I might of missed a couple don't think so though. Right differences
type x, type s, type r1, type rz were all realeased in late 91 between 91-93 these were the only rx-7 available in japan.
all were 255bhp type x was fully loaded model leather seats in black or red, climate control a/c, sunroof, front foglamps,2+2, soft suspension, cruise control, 5sp manual + 4sp automatic, rear strut brace not sure if they had front, main cat only, sunroof, red leather seat models came with full red interior. bose hifi as standard. 4.1 final drive ratio diff 3.9 on auto
the type s is the cheapest model rx7 similar to type x but non of the frills and extras.
Type rz has always been then top rx7 in Japan as well as the fastest. It has bbs 17 inch wheels as standard 4.3 stregthened limited slip diff. not much frills and extras as this was not meant for comfort but out and out sports. It had recaro seats as standard and if memory serves me right was only available in black on the early models. Front & rear strut brace All type rz hold there price extremely well in Japan. The rz had better brakes twin oil coolers and was reallly designed to be thrashed.
The type r is another of the early models, this was a I believe single oil cooler can't remember, front & rear strut brace, I think they had front fog lamps can't remember harder suspension than type x & type s models, a/c, no sunroof or cruise etc was a bit like the rz in that it was more a race model rather than tourer. This eventually was called the r1 as in late 93 onwards mazda released another type r with twin oil coolers and a few more bits and pieces slighty softer suspension etc and calle dit the r2 so thats how the r1 got it's name. In late 93 onward mazda released som other versions as well as updating/outdating some of the previous. they type x became the touring x the type s became the touring s. These were basically the same as the precious models but technical recall issue had been resolved, I can't remember what they all were but I remember pre late 93 had issues with the water pump or water pump seal, the pressure of the cooling system was lowered from about 1.3 bar to .9 I believe, the paint was also changed as earlier models suffered paint fade. so type r was now r2 type x & type s were now touring but the rz remained the same. I do not have documented evidence but I believe in 94 the rx was actually a 265 bhp car don't hold me to that though. Right the other new models that were added in late 93/94 were the type rs which was second to the rz only 17 inch wheels different from the other models better brakes the same diff with final drive as the rz but otherwise much the same the others ie a/c, 2 seater, strut brace fornt&rear etc. also released was the rb which was kind of a new base range along with touring s, They however made variations to this model i.e. type rb bashurst, and bashurst x, in remembrance to the fact the rx7 dominated the australian 12 race at a track or area can't remember called bathurst.The bathhurst x model had full red interior with leather seats, again though most of these models were otherwise much the same.
In 95 the r2 was replaced with the type r, in late 95/96 models mazda again made changes, the rear spoiler was changed, the ecu were now 16 bit instead of 8 bit, the rear light cluster was changed to round lights power was upped on nearly all models to 265 bhp except the touring x. By the way that reminds me the touring s was discontinued in 95 and when the type x transition into the touring x in late 93 they were only available in 4spd automatic, Also from late 95 onwards the touring x lost cruise control bose hifi and leather interior but the rest was the same. I also know on post 96 touring x models maybe on the others also cannot confirm at the mo that the chassis was strenghthed and road holding was greatly improved.
In 97/98 mazda did a ltd edition model called the rsr which was a fancier version of the type rs these were only available in yellow or black. These had the same wheels as they type rs but were sprayed black from manufacture. I can't remember if it was from late 95 or only from late 98/99 onwards the type rb had a auto model also as 255bhp but manual as 265 bhp.
In late 98/99 the models the turbo was upgraded so was the ecu boost was increased exhaust back pressure was reduced by 10%
the rear spoiler and frontend were changed bhp was increased on type r type rs type rz to 280 bhp the rb was still 265bhp the rb-s was the same but a little sportier, the rb 4spd auto was still 255. New colour was added mica blue and a creamy white for the rz model which came with red interior with red stitching white dials, all post 99 models had boost gauge which earlier models didn't, the very latest models that were made wer ethe spirit r models a being the top b next then c which was also available as an auto, a new colour was added also gunmetal grey. My hand are tired now I hope this gives you a better idea."

Si
Old 16 November 2003, 06:41 PM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Mates selling a couple of JDM RX-7's

Old 16 November 2003, 06:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& FYI (credit where credits due & all that) that info was from Brian Ellis who runs: http://www.rotaryimports.com/
Si
Old 16 November 2003, 07:41 PM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the info, thats very informative! Never realised there was such a maze of models!

Unfortunately a very late example is out of our price range and the wifey (it would be hers) is having non of a secondhand example, no matter how hard i try!

Shame for me!
Old 16 November 2003, 07:52 PM
timmy03
Scooby Regular

you want to have a look at www.carex-japan.com, they have some in for just over £5k, one question though, whats the safety like on one of these e.g ABS, arbags,???
Old 16 November 2003, 09:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

depends on how yer applying it in the real world i suppose they have ABS & air bag(s) as standard as i recall but sticking nearly 300bhp thru the rear wheels with no traction control could lead the less weary to bend it against sumin in the wet it is a no holds barred sports car after all!
There are various RX7 sites which have a wealth of info such as FDUK & mazdarotaryclub if you want any further info.....
Si
Old 16 November 2003, 09:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& take those prices with a BIG pinch of salt i have got a car on it's way from Japan & as a guide the price which these appear to be showing is only about 2/3rds of the total cost by the time i'll be geting delivery...
Can give better details on the taxes etc if u want but you need to look at the full picture
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 11/16/2003 9:41:34 PM]
Old 16 November 2003, 09:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

like all cars & i think even more so with a RX7 you get what you pay for & if you get a cheap cr4p one you will suffer! IMO
Si
Old 17 November 2003, 09:48 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with Si -- be very, very, very careful.

A mate had an old-shape (the one made up til '92) turbo model, it was a proper Mazda-approved used model from a pukka dealer. When it was in for its THIRD warrantied engine replacement in 9 months he told the dealer to stuff it and settled with them for cash .... fair enough, they settled for nearly all the cash he originally paid, minus a bit for mileage.

Each time it was rotor tip seal failure but it also scored / ruined the trochoid "bores". He mentioned something about dodgy UK fuel but I don't know if that was true.

Bloody quick car tho'!