Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RX7's!!!!VFM

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 01:35 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well im thinking of buying a nes car in the future as im fed up with my un reliable Corrado G60, always had my heart set on a lancer evo 4 but they seem to be expensive and very expensive to run, also been thinking about a impreza but although they are cheaper to buy depending upon the model they sound just as expensive to run. Looking around for anyother japanese bullets i found the mazda rx7 and u can pick them up for good money, 11k for and N reg!!!!

Wow i know they are thirst cars but how many do u see around??? not many but i bet they are expensive to run? has anybody got 1 had 1 ????
Old 22 January 2002, 01:40 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

you'd get an evo 4 for 11K. (P reg usually).
Rx-7: Not had one but believe their fuel consumption is worse than evo / scoob. 15-17mpg maybe? Nice lookers but probably more hard work to driv ethan the 4x4s. Need more concentration etc, particularly when driving hard

[Edited by juan - 1/22/2002 1:42:26 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 01:41 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

ahhhhh just seen a thread in other marques/sD?s?d!!

sorry
Old 22 January 2002, 01:46 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

With it being the only rotary engined car out there (AFAIK) I would think that would have a bearing on servicing costs etc or when the engine goes bang.
Old 22 January 2002, 02:47 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

A mate had an old-shape one (the one that looks like a Porsche 944). Bought used from a Mazda dealer, with warranty. He left it with them and got a refund (minus settlement for mileage etc) after it needed its third replacement engine in under one year. Apparently "UK fuel causes carbon build-up which destroys the rotor tip seals".

Don't know if it affects the latest-shape models. Car was great when it worked, very very quick but a complete nightmare to own.
Old 23 January 2002, 11:38 AM
Pete Spanker
Scooby Newbie

Hello everyone,
I've got a '98 RX-7 and it's fantastic. I've had it for nearly a year now and have not had a single problem. As has already been mentioned, just make sure to change the oil regularly.
I bought my car with an induction kit and straight thru exhaust and it's putting out 307 bhp.
My mate has a P1 and although it has more tourqe it cannot compete with the RX's top end. Fuel consumption is not the best although the 15 mpg mentioned elsewhere is as bad as it gets, you can see mid 20's on motorway runs. The consumption doesn't seem much worse than the P1 or any other highly tuned turbo engine.
It's not really hard work to drive fast as long as you remember what you're driving... No traction control, just a limited slip diff. Servicing is surprisingly cheap, just had mine done at Abbey Motorsport in Oxted (V. Good) and it was £220 for a Mid service.
I know i'm biased but if you choose your car well they are awesome... Did i mention mine is for sale?!!