Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Should I? or shouldn't I????

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2003, 09:04 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the debate at the moment....
being just a tad disappointed at the Xtype being now with less than 3.5 k miles ... new engine control.... suspension shot.... and a recall.... well ...

these are the cars in the frame....

Evo VIII got to sit in it at the Surrey County Show... only MOI!!!

Reneault Clio.... V6... not the whiz bang machinine which I have now discovered is 2 seater - rear engine - rear wheel drive ... 250bhp.... ahhh bit of a coffin on wheels I think...

or... should I bite the bullet and go for an STi????? hmmmmmm decisions decisions..... but in favour of the XType... she corners better than anything I've ever driven... no mistake... but heavy heavy heavy heavy I get weary driving her....

what shall I do??????????

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

P
Old 29 May 2003, 07:17 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ello, tis I, the Chuckster.
I've got an 03STIPPP and I'm getting bored of it already to be honest. Mine squeaks and rattles inside like a classic and the low RPM lack of pickup is still catching me out. Luckily I;ve still got the 22B and the STI doesn't get driven much at weekends.
Saying that it does steer abd brake well, and once you've got some revs dialled in it shifts!
Evo8 - well I'm ashamed to say I'm very shallow and, despite it's ability, the low-rent interior and IMO awful exterior looks rule it out for me.
Clio I know nothing about, but I'd be wary of french cars build and service quality.
If I had £30k to blow today I'd get a Boxster, a 993, a Z3MCoupe or a VX220 and an old mondeo. The Jag appeals to me aesthetically and emotionally(love the marque), but as you've discovered build and reliability aren't it's strong points.
Hmmmmm save up and get an S-Type R, just to be different...or ignore the badge and give a recent Mondeo ST220 a try. Handles as well as a BMW and it's a peach of an engine. Just make sure you get a nearly-new one thats lost a chunk of depreciation already.
Rgds
Chuck
Old 29 May 2003, 09:53 AM
Gina G-force
Scooby Regular

Smile

Get the STi. No reliability worries and 4WD handling that Jag can only dream about.

Gina G
Old 29 May 2003, 09:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Er Gina, the X type IS 4WD...
Old 29 May 2003, 10:09 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

You see that's my dilema... having owned two Impreza's to date and UK model and a WRX import.. I am aware of the handling qualities and I shouldn't think the UK STi would be much different from my WRX... Trout if you're out there you've driven it - what's the comparison....

Despite the problems with the X-type it's handling (and yes Gina the 2.5 & 3.0) are both 4wdr the cornering is second to none - honest - it's just the 'old fogie' syndrome and the fact that there's just been so much wrong with it - plus it's a heavy car to drive...

Hi Chuck - how are you doing? The boxster is tempting but I'm trying to downsize as I am no longer in the ranks of the employed.. and to be honest I gave a boxster a run for his money last week - think he had bit of a shock... as I couldn't outrun him but boy he had to catch up after each corner ...
French cars are okay Paul has had Peugots for years and they are extremely reliable we've never been disappointed.

I agree with you on the interior of the Evo - it's hard to go from all my luxury to tin tack toe... ha ha

It goes in today so hopefully they can sort all this stuff out - hmmm sounds a bit like I'm talking myself back into it doesn't it.

P
Old 29 May 2003, 10:24 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

What about the BMW 330, or Audi A4? Beemers are always good to drive, have quality interiors and if properly looked after, they're pretty much bomb-proof.

Old 29 May 2003, 10:27 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Audi S4 ?

D
Old 29 May 2003, 10:28 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Now don't laugh at this suggestion - have you tried a Golf R32?

If the Evo is out due to looks and interior quality then maybe the Golf will suffice.

My wife who is currently driving a MY99 UK scoob has just ordered one having driven it at the weekend. I had a little try-out in it as well and I was seriously impressed with everthing about it, but especially the handling and peformance - it's pretty surprising to find that VW still know how to produce such a well turned out focused machine after the succession of lardy ar5ed GTI wannabes they've been producing in the last few years

I hate to say it, but for my money it's got the Scoob well and truly beaten until you start modding of course ;-)

Give it a try and see what you think - I know it's only a Golf, but that's half the fun - looking forward to pinching the wife's every now and then - oooo errrr ;-)

Regards,

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 5/29/2003 10:29:19 AM]
Old 29 May 2003, 10:39 AM
Gina G-force
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jag and Scoob are 4WD. One is a fat heavy old thing and the Scoob isn't. 4WD Scoob handling beats 4WD Jag handling...IMHO

Gina G
Old 29 May 2003, 11:55 AM
JBcos
Scooby Regular

Lotus Exige no questions asked
Old 29 May 2003, 12:02 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

get a japanese spec STi8 TypeRA spec-C Pen. That will get you a hell of a car for sensible money that will outhandle/outperform anything sugested so far including the UK STi. Go on, you know you want to.
Old 29 May 2003, 02:49 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

An Audi RS6 is certainly appealing to me at the moment.
Old 29 May 2003, 05:12 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

How about a Saab 9-3 Aero?
Old 14 June 2003, 04:31 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

R32's are fantastic, gorgeous, well built, powerful, great to drive!
But you could always go the A4 way, 1.8T Quattro Sport and chip it upto about 260bhp or the 3.0 in a heavy luxury mmmmm machine.
Old 14 June 2003, 04:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I guess this guy didnt like his R32 and swapped it for an STI
R32 thread

[Edited by chrisp - 6/14/2003 4:54:57 PM]