Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Hear Some RACE Stories....

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 08:53 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now they don't have to be serious, Infact the funnier the better. Be it on the track or on the open road, cars that beat you that shouldn't have, cars you beat ie 'Skyline' that you shouldn't have, etc, etc.
Come on, short, long, dramatic, dull....
Lets hear some race stories!
Old 26 September 2001, 09:03 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Don't usually do this kinda thing, but a Ferrari 348Gt was tailgating loads of cars up the M4 the other day. Somehow we ended up at some traffic lights and he was revving the engine wanting to show us all how fast his car was.

Decided to see how much he would beat me by. To my astonishment I thrashed him, even without dumping the clutch, revving or whatever. He just went wheelspin, zoom where I just went grip, zoom.

The road led onto a 40mph Dual C/way so I slowed to 40 and let him past. He gave me a real glare as if to say how dare your 20K jap tin box make MY ferrari look silly

Immature behavior I know. But I fully expected to get panned.

Ferrari 0 PPP scooby 1

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 09:43 PM
NeVeTaS2001
Scooby Regular

Wink

Last year I came up against a F355 at the lights. He was giving it the big 'I am'.

On pull away I got away from him, he was by the side of my spoiler.

We then got to another set of lights and I was turning left.

He shouted out to me 'What the Fu*k have you done to that car!' I lied through my **** and said 'Are you crazy it's completely standard!'

I'm sure he would of whipped my **** if we had of carried on over more distance, but it was fun beating him off the lights!

Ferrari 0 Scooby 2 ;-)

[This message has been edited by NeVeTaS2001 (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 10:19 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Well their was this Black man bla bla bla.
Old 26 September 2001, 10:21 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Talking

When I used to own a Westfield I would go to the Derby club meets from where we went on various 'cruises', normally they would be at a reasonable speed (read quick ). On one occasion we had several members who were still running in their engines and decided to keep the cruising speed down to 70 mph. About 7 or 8 of us were merrily meandering sown the A50 at 70 mph to Curborough to watch some sprinting when this Plastic Pig (Reliant Robin) came by us at 70.5 mph! It was really amusing, this old fella was wringing the neck of the Robin, the engine was screaming in pain and you you see the wheel vibrating through his white knuckles, but there was no way he was giving up....must have been the highlight of his driving life, overtaking all these so called fast sports cars.

To cap it all someone in one of the Westie's took a photo of him going past!

I'm sure there are loads more like this........

Cheers,
Darren.

Old 26 September 2001, 11:27 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I once saw a Porsche going down the M1, it's fair to say he was making " good progress" when a Pug 205 GTI clogs it from the inside lane, up the chuff of this Porker! He stayed with the Porker, right untill his engine gave up F1 style, white smoke every, briliant!
Old 26 September 2001, 11:29 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hA! hA!
Great stories so far fellas, keep 'em comin'....

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2001, 12:01 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other afternoon I was driving from work up the A444 (dual carriageway)where I caught a Nissan 300ZX sitting at the back of a queue of cars. The cars cleared as we approached a roundabout where upon the 300ZX thought he would get away from me. It had been raining most of the day and the roads were still wet so as soon as he stepped on the power after the roundabout his **** was all over the road. So much so I nearly ran into the back of him. After 2 more roundabouts he had sussed the power but still couldn't loose me. So finally he attempts a early foot to the floor on the final roundabout, where he lost the rear end so far that I undertook him with ease. I slowed down to turn off at the next junction to watch him limp pass me and sheepishly glance over.

Nice

Neal

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 12:04 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andrew, i did once want a Scoob but could not afford to run that and my CTR. The CTR is rapidly becoming track day use only, and is loads of fun to throw around without the worry.

A Scoob is a bloody good car, but for the amount of trackdays i do i would need a 2nd morgage to run it.

Next car for me will be a Skylark for the road and Exige for the track, like Mr Browns.

Matt
Old 27 September 2001, 12:21 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Type R:
<B>Andrew, i did once want a Scoob but could not afford to run that and my CTR. The CTR is rapidly becoming track day use only, and is loads of fun to throw around without the worry.

A Scoob is a bloody good car, but for the amount of trackdays i do i would need a 2nd morgage to run it.

Next car for me will be a Skylark for the road and Exige for the track, like Mr Browns.

Matt[/quote]
Thanks for the reply! BTW I'm originally from Bolton, work in London, But live in Northampton, 'Land of The Speed Camera'...

Old 27 September 2001, 09:06 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I was driving back from a track day at Knockhill this year, all pumped up with adrenalin on the way down the M74(?the motorway that joins the M6). I decided that I should slow down a bit as they say this road is the 'gauntlet' locally. I was cruising at about the legal limit when I was passed by a Porsche GT2, which was followed by an RS turbo, a Fiat coupe turbo and a new M5. They were all going well above 100MPH and I started to latch onto the rear of this fast moving convoy when strangely my brain said "no, you're supposed to be on an economy run!". I backed off to a safe distance and just watched the Porsche and the rest dissapear at high speed (must be doing 130mph+).

About 10 miles down the road I saw the Porsche, Fiat and M5 on the hard shoulder with the M5 showing blue flashing lights.....

The Ford must have got away by being left behind!

Few, another lucky escape for me- temptation could easily have got the better of me.
Lesson learned.

F
Old 27 September 2001, 09:21 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Not a Scoob story, but I was always chuffed when sprinting a 100bhp Caterham on crap road tyres round the short and twisty tracks, because I could routinely beat Ferraris, Porsches, Integrales blah blah blah. Don't remember ever coming across any Scoobs at the events though.
Old 27 September 2001, 10:09 AM
neveryoumind
Scooby Regular

Cool

When I was about 19, I raced against a talbot samba all the way down the by-pass in my mum's volvo 340 He had a mate in and i had two, he was closing up on the straights, but strangely I had him on the roundabouts.
Come to think of it, would you overtake a sideways volvo leaning at 30 degrees with all four wheels still on the floor?
Old 27 September 2001, 10:27 AM
mrbenbod2
Scooby Regular

Going down the A50 a couple of days after purchasing my new Scoob very early morning so I could give it a bit of a test. Nothing on the road at all.
I shall simply say I was really testing it out . Started approaching a bright Yellow Porsche 911. I slowed a little and moved over and went past him then speeded up again.
About 10 seconds later he is gaining on me like I'm standing still. He came past me and carried on pulling away for a while then he slowed back down again. I didn't have anything left to even contemplate trying to have some fun with him. I don't know what particular model it was but my god he must have been doing 160+. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I have a feeling he was out doing exactly the same thing as me. Awesome car.
Old 27 September 2001, 10:45 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

I regulary surprise people on track, including Scoobs , Ferrari, Porkers etc.

Its nice having a wolf in sheeps clothing

When i first got the car, i had a traffic light grand prix with a UK Scoob, set the revs at 5900, feathered the clutch and used a good bit of right foot, i beat him off the line and up to above the speed limit and beyond. Not bad for a N/A 1.6.

Nice chap though, flashed the lights and waved.

Matt
Civic Type R
Old 27 September 2001, 10:55 AM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don'tcha just love the modified nova crew! Finally gave into temptation last night and left one for dust after he had been hassling for a couple of miles. He caught me up 3 miles later (I slowed down to a more sedate (legal) pace) and gave me the one fingered salute - blaaaaaggggg, some people eh
Old 27 September 2001, 10:56 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

I had a blast with a new Ferrari 350 Modena up a straight empty motorway a few months back. He was behind me at around 80mph so I dropped it and floored it. He sat right up my bum upto around 110mph so I moved out of his way expecting him to fly past and dissapear into the distance. He could only just get past and oh so slowly pull away!!! Oh how we laughed I pulled up next to him at the top of the next slip road but he refused to even look over, must have been sulking because he could only crawl past a 12 year old Sierra

Id like to have another go now (Ive some extra tuning mods ) because if he was sulking when he won then Id love to see his reaction if he got left behind!!

Bren
Old 27 September 2001, 10:58 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Type R:
<B>I regulary surprise people on track, including Scoobs , Ferrari, Porkers etc.

Its nice having a wolf in sheeps clothing

When i first got the car, i had a traffic light grand prix with a UK Scoob, set the revs at 5900, feathered the clutch and used a good bit of right foot, i beat him off the line and up to above the speed limit and beyond. Not bad for a N/A 1.6.

Nice chap though, flashed the lights and waved.

Matt
Civic Type R[/quote]

Hey Matt,I own a Prelude Type S looking to buy a Scoob, probably an STi. You the same?

Old 27 September 2001, 11:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had left my Scoob in for a service and came to work in my loan 1.0 Micra. My mate had left in his Corrado VR6 on the same day and arrived in a Ka. We have had a few silly moments in the quick cars (we both travel to Dublin regularly where you can't get points so anything goes really). We left work to go and collect our real cars and ended up on the same piece of deserted twisty B road. We spent 30 minutes racing flat out. Best race I ever had. Somtimes the speeds got up to 50 or 55 MPH before hard on the brakes for the next corner.

[This message has been edited by fast bloke (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 11:22 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many years ago I had my old Mk I Astra 1.2 up to 100mph one clear sunny day on a motorway I can't remember, a woman in her Mk II Astra behind me decided to have a go and overtook me oh-so-slowly, I had my foot flat to the floor but the poor little Vauxhall wasn't going any faster. The woman pulled in about 20 metres in front of me when suddenly it seemed she blew a piston or something and the amount of smoke that poured out of her exhaust was phenomenal, I couldn't see more than a few metres in front so on went the hazards, she pulled over to the hard shoulder and the look of sadness on her face as she slowed and I passed was a picture.

Steve.
Old 27 September 2001, 11:27 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Driving to the Bitish GP this year at stupid o'clock in the morning I trying to catch up my work colleague who was about ten minutes in front.
Driving rather briskly (nothing on the road) when I saw a little dot in my mirror. The dot got bigger and bigger and then rushed passed me in a blur of noise and colour. It was a Lamborghini Countach. He must have been doing at least 160mph if not more.
A few seconds latter he was a dot again. One dam fast car.

Mark
Old 27 September 2001, 11:33 AM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

It always makes me wonder if the other driver is trying as hard, I have had a couple with people I know so I know they were going 100%

A good one was Network Q 2000 a followed an Evo 6 for 7 miles until he let me past?! At Sweetlamb car park he asked what mods I'd had. I simply said Scoobysport Back Box How do flames get past cats?

I followed a DB7 Vantage to work in the summer stuck with him for 4 miles till I passed him from a standing start.
The same guy also has a Ferrari 360 M, I've also passed him in that again standing start up a hill on a damp road. He still managed to smoke the tyres.

Ins

Old 27 September 2001, 11:35 AM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Doh!!

Double post

[This message has been edited by InsBro (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 12:01 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

I was going down University way once and what i'd thought wa a Ferrari came up to my backside EYE EYE.
To my astonishment was a Nissan NSX.
Well i just give it large and within miniutes he was 300 metres behind me at the next set of lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH what an STi i have

Darren
Old 27 September 2001, 12:03 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Sorry it was a Honda..........................but what the heck it looked like a Nissan

Darrren
Old 27 September 2001, 01:07 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

When we were young and stupid, we used to go and visit a pal at university in Luton for a weekend p1ss up on cheap student ale. Finishing work on Friday, it became a race to get down to Luton to get in the pub as early as possible.

Over a 4 years period of several visits a year, the journey of 161 miles door to door (mainly M6-M1) became a bit of a challenge as to see how fast it could be done. The record was held by a variety of us in different cars (including a 205XS, a Golf GTi, and even a Maestro 1.3), but on our last visit before his graduation, we got it down to 1hr 50 minutes in a Capri 2.8, average of 88mph including a stop. Attaining that average on a Friday night on the M6 is nigh on impossible now.

Happy days.
Old 27 September 2001, 01:13 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sat at the lights having come off the slip road at J2 M42 to go toward Redditch (Eurgh!). Behind me rolls up some red thing of which I can only see the top of the red domed roof.

I thought it was a late Mazda RX-7.

The lights went green and I trundled off, quickly, but with no intention of racing or anything - I knew the left hand turn was a nasty one on which I'd seen loads of accidents.

on the straight and narrow and I see it's actually a new Porsche Carrera 911. I think I irked him, as he decides to come on strong.

I was overtaking some traffic, pulled in and let him past. Turned off my air-con and then followed him. He had a 100 yard lead, which stayed like that up until "She canna give any more Capn'!"

Well, just so happens that was the point a sweeping left hander appeared and I sailed past him!

We both stopped at a roundabout and exchanged glances. He gave an embarressed smile and drove in a different direction to me. Just think... £20K Jap saloon vs. £60K Kraut sportscar.

Not as much fun as sitting at the lights once in my TR7V8, when alongs comes kn0bber in his RS Turbo. He gives it loads of revs, and jumps up and down in his seat. I gave it two healthy blips on the throttle and when peace was restored, he'd changed his mind...

Nice.
Old 27 September 2001, 01:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neil,
Ferrari 0, PPP scoob 2
Total= Ferrari 0, scoob 3
Had a 348 try it on with me, rolling start and he wasnt impressed oh well i think they think cos its red its quicker, nope
This one was in stockport, and he had no chance on the roundabout either

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 27 September 2001).]
Old 27 September 2001, 01:53 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Wink

it was 1983 was 19 @ the time duran-duran casette playing on my pioneer at the Jura mountains going to Geneva for a overnight stopover before going to Ancona to catch the ferry to Greece.
My car a Lancia Montecarlo Spyder with 44 Webbers DCNF alquati camshafts ANSA exhaust (i think all these factories are out of bussiness nowadays!) Thundering king of the twisties I thought. On a downhill section along comes a Renault 4L with a fatso-mustachioed french in overalls, overtaking me on 3 wheels from the outside, once passed made every effort to keep close-by i had a hell of a time just catchingup. Probably he knew the road (well i ve used this excuse for 17 years now im not gonna change it)
Most humiliating thing ever happened to me
Old 27 September 2001, 02:06 PM
The Blade
Scooby Regular

Red face

I was on the M45 the other day going towards the M1 along the long slight uphill straight, foot to the floor maxing out at an indicated 145mph when a Suzuki GSX-R went past me on the left hand bend at the end.

Pretty impressive turn of speed, only thing was the pillion passenger didn't seem to be appreciating it !!!!

Quick Reply: Lets Hear Some RACE Stories....