Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone in the flight business?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2013, 01:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the flight business?

Son is in Dublin and booked Ryanair to travel to UK at the end of the week. But he has lost his Passport and Ryanair want this for him to travel. No time for fast track renewal but he can get emergency travel documents by visiting the British Embassy in Dublin.

My question is will Ryanair accept these as they work in a world of their own. Impossible to phone Ryanair and ask of course

Long shot but anyone know?

David
Old 30 March 2013, 04:15 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

From http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-...ldocumentation...

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

It is each passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that he or she has valid travel documentation which meets the requirements of Ryanair, immigration and other authorities at every destination. Please also note that

- A valid travel document is required by all passengers travelling on Ryanair flights (including infants).

- For travel to Morocco - only a valid passport is accepted.

- A passport for travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area) must be valid for period of intended stay

- If a visa is applicable any children/infants must be travelling with the adult named on a visa vignette

In order to ensure compliance, passengers should carry a valid passport (and visa if applicable) or EU/EEA government issued national identification card on all journeys. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of breach of these requirements shall be paid by or charged to you.

Children added to a Parents/Guardians Passport – EU/EEA Nationals (except UK and Ireland passport holders) - From 26th June 2012 children should have their own Passport when travelling (one person per passport). From this date onwards existing entries of children in their parents passports are no longer valid. The passport is only valid for its holder and any child added to the document MUST hold their own passport. Please refer to your passport issuing office for further details.

Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, residence cards, seaman books, a police report (issued in the event of travel document loss/theft), military ID cards etc. Expired or damaged forms of photo-id will not be accepted on any flight.

Details of all passengers’ travel documents (including those of children and infants) must be entered during the online check-in process. All passengers must present their valid travel document along with their online boarding pass at airport security and at the boarding gate for all flights.

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

- A valid passport
- A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland)
- A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
- A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
- A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
- A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
- A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
- A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
- A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country
mb
Old 30 March 2013, 07:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks mb. Yep I had read that and no mention of accepting "Emergency Travel Documentation" which I think they will but would like to be sure otherwise whole trip is buggered up.

Crazy that you can drive off to NI without any documentation but jump on a plane to same destination (UK) and you need a bloody Passport

All very Irish. dl
Old 30 March 2013, 09:45 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Bizarre, as i've used my driving licence for Aer Lingus before now, and a work colleague even used his work ID pass that has his picture on once.... Anyone could have made that... :lol2:
Old 01 April 2013, 08:54 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
Crazy that you can drive off to NI without any documentation but jump on a plane to same destination (UK) and you need a bloody Passport

All very Irish. dl
Except that he's not in NI - which is in the UK - He is in Ireland which is a separate country and not in the UK........

If he was in Belfast, you would have a point
Old 01 April 2013, 10:22 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I agree its daft,

I can go to edinburgh, via car or train, with no problems whatsoever, but should i choose to fly, i need a passport!

We have to have a passport, (because nothing else will do), yet members of eu countires can travel on ID cards, (little more than our driving licence)

Yet we cant use our Photo id driving licences, (even for internal flights)

and looking at the list of documents allowed by other countries, why are we so restricted?

Mart
Old 01 April 2013, 01:44 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
Except that he's not in NI - which is in the UK - He is in Ireland which is a separate country and not in the UK........

If he was in Belfast, you would have a point

I think you have missed the point of my post

Yes he in in Ireland but can travel to NI which I appreciate is in UK by road without the need for a Passport of, for example, fly Aer Lingus and just use a driving licence. But if he flies using Ryanair they insist on a Passport.

dl
Old 02 April 2013, 01:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I agree its daft,

I can go to edinburgh, via car or train, with no problems whatsoever, but should i choose to fly, i need a passport!

We have to have a passport, (because nothing else will do), yet members of eu countires can travel on ID cards, (little more than our driving licence)

and looking at the list of documents allowed by other countries, why are we so restricted?

Mart
The requirement of a passport for ID purposes for internal flights comes from the airlines/airports, as far as I'm aware, there is no legal requirement.
Old 02 April 2013, 03:01 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I agree its daft,

Mart
I think you have missed the point of my post

Yes he in in Ireland but can travel to NI which I appreciate is in UK by road without the need for a Passport of, for example, fly Aer Lingus and just use a driving licence. But if he flies using Ryanair they insist on a Passport.

dl
Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
The requirement of a passport for ID purposes for internal flights comes from the airlines/airports, as far as I'm aware, there is no legal requirement.
Another reason Ryanair are rubbish. Easyjet happily accept a driving license for internal flights.
Old 02 April 2013, 05:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Default A new twist

My wonderful son has now found an old Passport that had been reported lost a couple of years back but is still in date.

So do Ryanair simply look at the Passport for validity and photo likeness or is it more than that??

I am pretty sure it is just a quick glance and no computer checks made.

Comments please.

David
Old 02 April 2013, 06:14 PM
Jamie330S
Scooby Regular

I agree its daft,

Mart
I fly London City Intl to Edinburgh Intl and don't show a passport on BA
Old 02 April 2013, 06:22 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie330S
I fly London City Intl to Edinburgh Intl and don't show a passport on BA
Ditto - LHR to EDI and no need for a passport on BA
Old 03 April 2013, 10:33 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do Ryanair simply look at the Passport for validity and photo likeness or is it more than that??
It is just a quick glance at best - I assume you never ever saw the undercover footage from their staff training
Old 03 April 2013, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
It is just a quick glance at best - I assume you never ever saw the undercover footage from their staff training

That's the comprehensive 20 minute course then

Only problem with son's passport if that photo is of a fresh faced 15 year old schoolboy but he is now a bearded long haired yoof. But I suppose they are used to that.

david
Old 04 April 2013, 01:48 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

It's an international flight, so they usually want passport details in advance.

Don't forget that as he's coming from Ireland, he will need to pass through immigration where his passport will be scanned........
Old 04 April 2013, 02:14 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him to get the train to Belfast and then get a flight from the city airport to his destination(assuming they fly there)
If not, then its a 20 transfer to the international airport instead.

Travelling to Belfast seems like the obvious choice now.
Old 04 April 2013, 02:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Tell him to get the train to Belfast and then get a flight from the city airport to his destination(assuming they fly there)
If not, then its a 20 transfer to the international airport instead.

Travelling to Belfast seems like the obvious choice now.

He's bringing his g/f over (for the first time ) but only for a day and a half so doesn't want to mess the trip up. Any new flight/travel plan now would be too expensive for him. He is going to Br Embassy in Dublin tomorrow to hopefully get an Emergency Passport for the trip, Euro 95

Then apply for replacement Passport in UK by post which is now stated as 3 week turnaround rather than 6 weeks quoted on website last week

David
Old 05 April 2013, 06:53 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan air just glance at the passport, BUT when he gets to the UK they WILL scan it and that's where the VALID travel document will be required, so it's a good idea to get the emergency one, otherwise he will be sent to guantanamo bay and be sexually abused by female guards.

Any changes to Ryan air flights incur an "admin fee" which is usually greater than the cost of the flight, thats if you can manage to navigate to the section of the website that lets you do it, so may as well re-book a new one.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 05 April 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05 April 2013, 05:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the requirement for a passport is a Airline thing, surely

I have travelled on the Swansea/Cork and Rosslare/Fishguard ferry quite a few times, I don't remember taking my passport let alone showing it
Old 05 April 2013, 07:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Ryan air just glance at the passport, BUT when he gets to the UK they WILL scan it and that's where the VALID travel document will be required, so it's a good idea to get the emergency one, otherwise he will be sent to guantanamo bay and be sexually abused by female guards.

Any changes to Ryan air flights incur an "admin fee" which is usually greater than the cost of the flight, thats if you can manage to navigate to the section of the website that lets you do it, so may as well re-book a new one.
So what do immigration do about Aer Lingus passengers who don't carry passports as not required by airline?

Anyway he now has emergency documents so we are back on course.

I will send him to Guantanamo if he loses his Passport again

Thanks for all input. David