Diabetes

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2011, 06:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diabetes

Does anyone have Diabetes here?

I have been feeling quite ill recently, including light headed after meals etc... and I have a blood test result tomorrow to confirm what type of diabetes.

What kind of questions should I ask? How has it effected you?

Steve
Old 20 November 2011, 06:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well I hope you are given the all clear as it can be a s,hitty pernicious disease.

Yes I have Type 2 which is the lesser form of the 2 types.

Some years ago my eyesight went a bit squiffy and I did need a pee at night but that could have been that extra pint

A quick finger ***** test at the docs confirmed that I had it. This is a check for sugar level and would probably need to be confirmed by blood sample sent to hospital.

You'll probably be fine but it is such a quick check that anyone around 50 + carrying an extra pound or two should have it done.

I am not washing my dirty tablets in public but mail me if you need to know more.

Oh and I am still alive btw - more or less

d
Old 20 November 2011, 08:14 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

as above mate really hope you don't have it. i'm type 1 and have to inject 4 times a day,
you would normaly be light headed BEFORE meals not after as your sugers would be low then get higher after eating. normaly if sugers are too high you will feel very lazy and tierd all the time and need to pee alot, but if they go low you will feel light headed and sweaty also can get uncordinated
if type 1 you will be limited to a 3 yr lisence, but new rules coming in dec that will be if you go low twice in a yr you will loose lisence for a yr untill you can control yourself better, if you can't prove that you can control your levels you will loose it permently.test meters will have to record your last 3mths worth of results and can be checked by police if requied IE:if you have a crash.
you will need a eye test once a yr and retina screening once a yr aswell, normaly have to have 6 monthly health check ups these can be once a yr if your control is good.
as above if you need any more info please feel free to pm me mate
just hope the results come back all ok for you
but please shout if need help or moral support

Last edited by b road blaster; 20 November 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 20 November 2011, 09:34 PM
steve-s
Scooby Regular

I got diagnosed with type 1 three years ago, being very early 30's was told unusual someone my age to get type 1. Was drinking a lot and peeing a lot, thought nothing of it, went to docs about other matter and he checked my blood and it was 14.2 after not eating for 6 hours. And hey presto I'm diabetic. B road blaster sums it up realy.
Old 20 November 2011, 09:46 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

steve i was only 31 aswell mate i only went to doc's as the missus booked me in because i was haveing problems just getting up the stairs. he done a blood test came back at 28 !!!!! got taken into hospital within 1/2 hr and stayed there for 3 weeks.
that was a good few yrs back now but remember it like yesterday worst bit for me i had my own truck and lost my lisence there and then as blanket ban on hgv's so lost my truck and all income. but new rules mean i may be able to get it back.
do you cope well ????? i'm alot better now but have had some bad yrs not controling it very well.
Old 21 November 2011, 10:19 AM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

i have type two and must impress its not a life sentance on the other hand you have good days and bad days usually ok but cant always tell when im getting low untill im there it will take time to make fine adjustments in your treatment read as much as you can find this is a self help desease the more you know the better your control will be write down any questions and take them with you good luck dont worry steve.b
Old 21 November 2011, 10:36 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

HBA1C test once a quarter. your GP can tell how you have controlled your sugar intake over the past three months. New treatment "Victoza" is having a great reception with diabetics. Not insulin but helps other medication work more effectively.

You will get to know how your body reacts to low blood sugar and high blood sugar. If it is type 2 and you could do with loosing some weight then its a good way to reduce the impact of diabetes. harder said than done though. If you need any other questions just PM me.
Old 21 November 2011, 12:24 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Lightheadedness can be normal after meals, your system using a lot of blood operating your gastrointestinal system, faints after eating a large meal are VERY common and of no great concern and usually not indicative of an underlying condition.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:00 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ive had reactive hypoglycemia many times,

and when dieting for shows/using ketosis can really effect blood sugar levels.

you can quite easily induce hypoglycemia when a bodybuilder, due to the very large and regular intake of protein/carbs.

if you go low blood suger, hypo, it can hit you like a train, start sweating, feel very very weak, faint and generally feel starving - this is the easiset way for your body to tell you, you need food and you need it now - as your blood sugar has dropped below your own threshhold

the hyperglycemia, is a result of too much blood sugar - poor diets ect or pancreas not producing the required insulin to match blood sugar levels - hence the regular insulin inj, or if you can get away with the insulin blends.

i can never remember what one is type 1 and what is type 2, and which one is considered the worst cindition?

all i know is if i was at any time diagnosed id make sure i had several 2nd opinions , to be double sure.
im sure testings came a long way, but since i can quite easily make my body go hypo, id want to make sure it wasnt a false positive reading. and as said above treatment seems to be getting more advanced all the time so hopefully be a less life threating condition.

and hopefully through educating children on nutrition, the diabetes caused from ill diets, can be reduced, rather than just now where its growing because stupid parents have zero understanding of what food actually is, or what a bodys requirements are.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hope your blood test comes up clear anyway.

Les
Old 21 November 2011, 02:21 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
i can never remember what one is type 1 and what is type 2, and which one is considered the worst cindition?
Type 1 - Worst - No insulin production - Injections for life.

Type 2 - Still bad - Reduced insulin production or the body cant manage receiving it - Usually tablet/diet controlled.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:48 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

cheers for tha paul

not saying its easy or anything but the insulin pens pretty easy and painless to use, its more the inconveineince of having to remembering every single tiem you eat.

is there a calculation of iu's of insulin to carbohydarte intake, like a ratio

insulin use in bb errs on the side of caution and generally go with ten grams of carbs per 1iu of insulin - with around 8g usually being optimum. but ten used to prevent hypoglycemia. thats for initial spike the secondry covered with 2nd meal around 1hour-ish later.
also dependant of timing, and what kind of carbs ingested.

whats the kindof medical recommendations?
Old 21 November 2011, 04:20 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
is there a calculation of iu's of insulin to carbohydarte intake, like a ratio
Not as far as i know, everyones requirements differ and as such amounts need to be tailored to suit
Old 21 November 2011, 07:49 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

as above the amount has to be tailored to each lots of diffrent factors come into play.
what your job is how much physical work/exersise you do, amount of food you eat ect ect ect
Old 21 November 2011, 07:54 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I had problems mid-afternoon, but now avoid sugar at lunchtime.
Bad to fall asleep at the wheel of a mini-bus full of kids

As stated, I felt vaguely unwell, but cleared a sugar test with ease, that just left me to manage my food intake more rigorously by content NOT quantity...

HTH

dunx
Old 21 November 2011, 08:59 PM
steve-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
do you cope well ????? i'm alot better now but have had some bad yrs not controling it very well.
i have good days and bad days still over three years on, i go into hospital on thursday to have a blood monitor fitted to see what the hells going on, one day i can be high and the next day im having hypos.
it was brought on in me after a bike accident(which wasnt the cause) wich brought it on a bit sooner than it should, because i was in pain, the body produces glucos to help with it, but your body also has to deal with that which ment my pancrias was working more and it was also on its last legs, it finaly gave up.
Old 21 November 2011, 09:13 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve-s
i have good days and bad days still over three years on, i go into hospital on thursday to have a blood monitor fitted to see what the hells going on, one day i can be high and the next day im having hypos.
it was brought on in me after a bike accident(which wasnt the cause) wich brought it on a bit sooner than it should, because i was in pain, the body produces glucos to help with it, but your body also has to deal with that which ment my pancrias was working more and it was also on its last legs, it finaly gave up.
well hope all go's well for you mate and you get it all sorted out, been 15 yrs for me now and still learning.
Old 21 November 2011, 09:32 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

understand everyone different

but what, you just play insulin use by ear when first diagnosed?

no guidelines?

id've thought there would be a minimum/max use per meal

id imagine it would be reverse use of what i stated, so work out how many carbs per meal then calculate how much insulin needed - very roughly?

yeah agree so much can affect blood sugar, composition of meals, eg, fat slows down carb absorbtion, but even things as simple as different carb sources - or is there quite large margin for each meal use?
Old 21 November 2011, 09:58 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

normaly when you are first diagnosed the doc's will suggest your amounts needed then they will keep a very close eye on how things are going.if needed they will then "tweek" your amounts, as time go's by you will start to know roughly how much you will need by how your blood tests read and you can adjust how much you inject each time.
i personly alter my amounts just about every time i inject like you say if i'm haveing a big meal that will contain suger then i will add a bit more' but if i know i have a hard day ahead with loads of manual work then i will have a bit less. all this will come with time and experiance of how YOUR body works and burns off the sugers. what works for me would proberly not work for you and vice versa
Old 21 November 2011, 10:08 PM
MattJ85
Scooby Regular

The problem with diabetes is everyone is different, if one person eats a meal their levels will react differently to someone who eats the same meal,

I've had type one diabetes which was caused by a cold (causing my immune system to be low) for 17 years now and only really just getting to know my body!!

As for the complications im just starting the long term ones..... Your nerve endings start to go so stuff like cold feet and hands which eventually professes into serious conditions, or for me I am having bad problems with my eyes! Having lasering to control the blood vessels but last week I lost 90% vision in my right eye so fingers crossed something can be done
Old 21 November 2011, 10:16 PM
chrisl25lnf
Scooby Regular

make sure you look after your self .
my partner at work is 36 has type 1 and had it all his life . 12 months a go 1 of his eyes started to bleed the rest is history lost all sight in both eyes at mo. just had his 3rd op last week so will see how that go s.
Old 21 November 2011, 10:18 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

here is one for you long story but short left the missus went off with another women had a diabetis test when i was with the other women it came bk positive 2 yrs ago left the other women went bk to my missus had the test again negative but when i get up in the mornings and make a coffee and a *** im very light headed but after the coffee with 2 sugars im fine