Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Diabetes and squash

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 09:57 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Diabetes and squash

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and I wondered is it ok to still play squash or should I take less rigorous exercise?
Old 17 September 2004, 10:10 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJenks
I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and I wondered is it ok to still play squash or should I take less rigorous exercise?

Urmm ask a Doctor.

Doctor "you are very lucky to be alive"
RobJenks "Scoobynet said it would be ok"
Doctor "you son are off to the white room with soft walls"

Old 17 September 2004, 10:23 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
Hello mate I'm also a type 2 diabetic.

My doctor advised me to excercise as normal but as has been said check with yours first
Old 17 September 2004, 10:36 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Steve Redgrave?
Old 17 September 2004, 12:40 PM
Wheelman
Scooby Regular

I've been insulin dependent diabetic since the age of 10. I've never backed out of any sporting activity of any kind as a result but if it is something I haven't tried previously and I'm unsure of the likely impact (i.e. energy consumed) and therefore the burn rate, I give it a try for a sensible period and check blood sugars as a result. I can then do the appropriate stocking up (i.e. eat something) beforehand if necessary!

Hope this helps.
Old 17 September 2004, 12:44 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I was diagnosed 4 years ago - I'm sort of Type 1 and a half because I'm 33, fairly slim and was being treated with drugs only until recently when I went on Insulin (4 times daily).

You shouldn't find any problems with playing any sort of sport, and in fact it will help you. Be careful though as your sugars will rise before they fall during exercise which can leave you feeling a bit rough and it can be a bit confusing with your blood readings (so take regular readings!) I used to feel a bit light headed when playing aggressive sport but there seemed to be a 'pain barrier' which once passed left me feeling quite 'euphonic'.

ALWAYS keep lucazade near you and let your other mates know the score but with Type 2 you should find you don't have any major problems. If you feel light headed, wobbly or anything else then take a test and a rest.

It's quite a shock when you first get diagnosed but there is some good news - as a result of living life as a diabetic (which you will get used to) the rest of your health and lifestyle will probably improve too - had my Cholesterol taken last week - 4.9. Not bad considering before diagnosis I was 6.5+!!!!

If you need any help or advice feel free to PM me.

Russ