Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face This is simply going too far!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ltogether.html
Old 24 June 2011, 05:13 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It does seen a bit extreme, but there is always that one chance where your gut is telling you to do something and you ignore it, and something bad happens.
Old 24 June 2011, 05:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Great, so now all any Terrorist will do, is use a child to get any weapon, explosive on board a plane.

Last edited by stilover; 24 June 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 24 June 2011, 06:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

If it stops planes getting blown up, I don't mind too much what they do. Cavity searches are a what I'd call a bit too far!
Old 24 June 2011, 06:47 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

PC gone mad I tell ye!
Old 24 June 2011, 06:53 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Not quite 'going too far' as flying planes into skyscrapers though.
Old 24 June 2011, 07:07 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
If it stops planes getting blown up, I don't mind too much what they do. Cavity searches are a what I'd call a bit too far!
Really, I mean, how many individual flights are there in the world in a given 10 year period? How many of those flights come to an end by means of a bomb or terrorism? What do you suppose the percentage is...0.000000000001%? There are almost certainly more crashes caused by the pilot being drunk or on drugs. The pat down in the vid seemed excessive to me. In fact, nearly all airport security measures do.

For crying out loud, if you want to make a terrorist statement you don't need a plane to do it. Just rock up to a live televised event (cup final, etc) strapped up with a dirty bomb. 10 minutes into the game millions of people see half the stand ripped apart and you only have to figure out how to get past a disinterested steward in a high vis vest in order to pull it off. The whole airport thing is about control and conditioning as opposed to dealing with a real threat. If it really is to deal with a threat then it's a case of sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Old 24 June 2011, 07:09 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Not quite 'going too far' as flying planes into skyscrapers though.

Quite, certain terrorist groups have no problem using children as suicide bombers, even children and adults with disabilities are fair game.

Sadly the time we live in dictate the sort of lengths we must go to to protect ourselves and our loved ones. In an ideal world it would not be required...
Old 24 June 2011, 09:30 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Really, I mean, how many individual flights are there in the world in a given 10 year period? How many of those flights come to an end by means of a bomb or terrorism? What do you suppose the percentage is...0.000000000001%? There are almost certainly more crashes caused by the pilot being drunk or on drugs. The pat down in the vid seemed excessive to me. In fact, nearly all airport security measures do.

For crying out loud, if you want to make a terrorist statement you don't need a plane to do it. Just rock up to a live televised event (cup final, etc) strapped up with a dirty bomb. 10 minutes into the game millions of people see half the stand ripped apart and you only have to figure out how to get past a disinterested steward in a high vis vest in order to pull it off. The whole airport thing is about control and conditioning as opposed to dealing with a real threat. If it really is to deal with a threat then it's a case of sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Tell you what, lets remove all airport security as it seems excessive to you. Then we can see how eager the terrorists are to bomb, crash planes and generally cause carnage.

Did you not stop to think that the reasons the percentage is so low is because of the security?
Old 24 June 2011, 10:26 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Maybe they should use some younger children say 16 to do the patting then their would be no question on groping etc.
Old 24 June 2011, 11:00 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

Tell you what, lets remove all airport security as it seems excessive to you. Then we can see how eager the terrorists are to bomb, crash planes and generally cause carnage.

Did you not stop to think that the reasons the percentage is so low is because of the security?
+1 anything that make air travel safer is ok by me, its not like a full on strip search and an invasion of privacy its a simple pat down.
Old 24 June 2011, 11:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Maybe they should use some younger children say 16 to do the patting then their would be no question on groping etc.
yeah right, hormonal 16 year olds
Old 24 June 2011, 11:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB.T

It's not nice, but I'd rather be safe. I would fully accept is air port security wanted to search me, because it's their job, if they had reason to believe I had hidden something on my child, then it is their responsibility to check them to, or refuse to let them fly.
Old 25 June 2011, 12:05 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Spoken like someone who has truly been brainwashed.

I don't doubt that a degree of security is required. However, I remind you that millions (billions?) of flights have occurred in aviation history without threat or problem. Three planes got hijacked in 2001 (and lockerbie prior to that) and suddenly everyone assumes that every flight is a target. The risk is so small - as I said, there is a greater risk of pilot error or some mechanical failure.

Metal detectors, scanning baggage, following up suspicions are all fine. Detailed pat downs of 6 year old girls - without exceptional reason - is just excessive IMHO. The damage that does to the many innocent children's perception of their world is probably far greater than one terrorist incident on a plane every 10 years.

I'd be willing to bet that if you removed all security from airports you'd still be 100x more likely to choke to death on your in-flight peanuts than to meet your demise at the hands of some shoe bomber.

Last edited by Saxo Boy; 25 June 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 25 June 2011, 09:05 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Nearly all security is excessive but a degree of security is required.

That sounds a little muddled to me.

And the numbers argument doesn't work either. How many hundreds if thousands of cars speed each day in the uk without killing anyone? A tiny percentage I bet. So let's get rid of speed limits. The numbers prove they're worthless and we'd all get where we want to be quicker.
Old 25 June 2011, 10:04 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I was on a flight a couple of weeks ago. There was a family in front of me and the security guard asked the mother if she minded her and her daughter getting patted down for the little girl to know about it. She said fine and it took no time at all. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it and the family carried on like nothing happened.
Old 25 June 2011, 10:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has to be considered that those sorts of terrorists will think nothing of planting a bomb on a child.

Better to be absolutely safe, a child with a planted bomb will kill all the other children on the flight as well of course, so a proper inspection should be fully acceptible.

Les
Old 25 June 2011, 01:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I don't really mind all the security, patting down poses no problems but I did manage to walk unnoticed through security last year with a bottle of water in my pocket.

I also think a terrorist could cause a lot more deaths than you get with a plane crash by other means, they could also cause a lot more hassle by bringing virtually any country to a standstill by knocking out its power supply and believe me that is quite easy to do if you know how.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 25 June 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 25 June 2011, 01:47 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I don't really mind all the security, patting down poses no problems but I did manage to walk unnoticed through security last year with a bottle of water in my pocket.

I also think a terrorist could cause a lot more deaths than you get with a plane crash by other means, they could also cause a lot more hassle by bringing virtually any country to a standstill by knocking out its power supply and believe me that is quite easy to do if you know how.

Chip
Bringing down several planes around the world would paradise air travel world wide - the perfect act of terrorism for very little outlay. What better way of getting the explosives on board that using children... Terrorism isn't about the number of deaths, it is about striking fear, causing a lack of confidence and belief in your safety as much as taking lives. 911 killed some 2500 people out of a population of several billion worldwide - the ramifications where felt everywhere by pretty much everyone