Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

selling car - plate on retention ?

Old 09 September 2015, 09:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling car - plate on retention ?

Hi guys just sold my car tonight and buyer is going to collect with cash at the weekend. the car has my private plate on just now and the buyer knew I would be removing the plate upon this sale. so okay have no new car to put the plate onto just now so want to put the plate onto retention which I now believe is £80 for ten years ? was advised that I can now start the process online ? so okay do I simply get the plate swap procedure underway asap and come the weekend give the new owner the current mot and v5 certificate and then the new mot and v5 will automatically be sent to him thru time once he has sent the v5 certificate off ? totally confused if someone could explain the process to me ??!!
Old 09 September 2015, 10:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jono300
Hi guys just sold my car tonight and buyer is going to collect with cash at the weekend. the car has my private plate on just now and the buyer knew I would be removing the plate upon this sale. so okay have no new car to put the plate onto just now so want to put the plate onto retention which I now believe is £80 for ten years ? was advised that I can now start the process online ? so okay do I simply get the plate swap procedure underway asap and come the weekend give the new owner the current mot and v5 certificate and then the new mot and v5 will automatically be sent to him thru time once he has sent the v5 certificate off ? totally confused if someone could explain the process to me ??!!
Do it as soon as possible. Immediately(on screen) you will given a new registration for the vehicle. A retention document will be sent in the post in a few days. Also a new V5 will be issued, this will also come in a few days maybe upto a week or so. The old V5 is now invalid as soon as you put plate on retention.

Whether the purchaser is happy to wait for you to post the new V5 on is upto them. Trust and all that.

Insurance needs to be informed if you want to drive the car after registration change.

Last edited by andy97; 10 September 2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10 September 2015, 10:52 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had about 5 pms asking for a price.

If people want to pm me a price then please do. The worst I can say is no
Old 10 September 2015, 08:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy2take
Had about 5 pms asking for a price.

If people want to pm me a price then please do. The worst I can say is no
what ??!! your read in the wrong thread mate ??!!

Thanks for the info on the plate swap mate, done it online today so easy apart from parting with the £80 for the pleasure off doing so !!

so the new owner can take away the car and mot certificate and when the new v5c arrives here with me I wil have to send it to him where he will then send it away with his new address or do I enter the new owners details and send off the new v5c ?

lastly, how / when do I get a refund for the road tax ?