Which Adhesive?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2011, 02:33 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Adhesive?

A picture speaks a thousands words.....

That is the cover for the front of the cooker hood and it has completely de-laminated I need a heat/moisture resistant adhesive to bond it back on. Advice on adhesive and also a methodology would be appreciated. The bottom is a little warped and may never look right but I'm aiming to get it 90% back to the way it should be with no bubbles, etc.
Old 19 April 2011, 03:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Presumably some form of contact adhesive
Old 19 April 2011, 03:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Use a thixotropic contact adhesive, there used to be one called Thixofix. It allows slight movement if the bits aren't lined up, before pressure will make the joijnt. Most types are instant grab, so if you get it wrong..............

Coat both sides thinly, leave until touch dry, (takes about 10 minutes), place two parts together, then press hard to bond it. Leave with a weight on it for a couple of hours, the more weight, and the flatter the surface, the better.
Old 19 April 2011, 04:08 PM
paulT25
Scooby Regular

Alcazar is correct with his suggestions regarding using the Thixofix adhesive. And you do not get much ability to adjust the panel if you are out of alignment.

If the panel is MDF which it looks like there maybe some other options. That can will give you more time to realign the items.

Pva wood glue could be used as can Cascamite , which is mixed with water . However, these two glues will need to be clamped over night .
If you have G clamps use these and another board the same or nearly the same size as the panel, glue both surfaces with a brush.
place together, lay the spare board over the top , and clamp down , in at least 4 points.

Clean the glue off with a damp cloth. Maybe around the edges , if there are any gaps you could use a tube adhesive like Sticks Like **** / or Serious Stuff [both Evo-Stik]

If you decide to use the contact adehsive it is still a good idea to clamp the items together, as it takes 20 odd hours for the glue to fully set. Also if the laminate panel is distorted or very thin and lumps will show.
Clamping may help ressolve this issue.

hope this helps in some way?
Paul
Old 19 April 2011, 04:15 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, not got clamps but I do have 100kg+ of iron plates (weights) out in the garage that I can put on top of another bit of wood to sandwich the glued parts.
Old 19 April 2011, 04:19 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hmmm - looks fcuked to me - the bit above the handle looks like it had been subject to heat and has shrunk......

But yep - contact adhesive all the way if you think it refits on ok..... i'd be tempted almost NOT to glue the main panel, just all the bevelled edges...
Old 19 April 2011, 04:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

The whole panel fits fine and snug but the bottom bit has lost its bevelled shape. That bit will almost certainly not look 'right'.
Old 19 April 2011, 04:48 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can supply you with some Spray Glue which you spray onto the wood /area, give it a few seconds and then line the laminate sheet over it, however there is no give to it, so once its in place thats it, its stuck fast.

Let me know if your interested, postage costs only should cover it.

Rob

Rob
Old 19 April 2011, 04:55 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Gorilla glue

Richard
Old 19 April 2011, 05:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Not sure on the glue. I'd be thinking some form of extra strong PVA that can be painted on.

But one thing is for sure you need a jig to clamp it together, That can be just a block of MDF and a few trigger clamps to hold it together whilst it sets.

The bevel on the other hand is going to be tricky. I'd be tempted to only apply the glu to the flat area, clamp it, let it cure. Then aftewards try glueing the edges; But you'll have to cut the corners to bend back the laminate to get the glue in there.

The alternative is to glue the whole lot in one go, clamp the main area and use tape to fix the edges down; problem here is if any excess glues the tape on.

Alternative; spray paint it...and do the whole kitchen to match.
Old 19 April 2011, 05:26 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

The alternative is to glue the whole lot in one go, clamp the main area and use tape to fix the edges down; problem here is if any excess glues the tape on.
This is the plan. In fairness, the warped bit aside, it holds its shape really well and fits to the wood snugly. Some weight over the main area and some tape just to hold the bevelled bits in place should (in theory) work.
Old 19 April 2011, 06:03 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Can you not phone the developer and find out the make of the Kitchen. Look at the Howdens website they do one called Saponetta Beech which looks the same.
Old 19 April 2011, 07:35 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Just get a new panel, doubt it would cost much more than the adhesive. As mentioned above, try Howdens
Old 20 April 2011, 12:06 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Just get a new panel, doubt it would cost much more than the adhesive. As mentioned above, try Howdens
+ 1
Old 20 April 2011, 03:03 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
A picture speaks a thousands words.....

That is the cover for the front of the cooker hood and it has completely de-laminated I need a heat/moisture resistant adhesive to bond it back on. Advice on adhesive and also a methodology would be appreciated. The bottom is a little warped and may never look right but I'm aiming to get it 90% back to the way it should be with no bubbles, etc.
For the edges and corners, having some sticky erm... sticky tape around might be a good idea. So you can ensure the veneer/laminate sticks to them.

J.
Old 28 January 2013, 10:57 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

pffftt - wow targeted spam advertising galore!