Notices

FAO Mycroft (and anyone else for that matter)

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 05:55 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Mycroft,

Thanks for partly answering some of my technical questions on Adhesive (Molecular) Friction and Hysteretic (displacement) Friction, albeit that despite claiming to know the answers you were unable to expand on the differences between adhesion and adherence.

Interestingly, your analysis created a circular reference (I assume you appreciate the term) which could not therefore logically answer the question.

Anyway, enough of that. Whilst (as posted on another thread) my questions were a "distraction" you did believe that I was "getting it" or words to that effect.

Now I must be honest with you. I know little about molecular physics (well, nothing more than I learned at School) I am not an engineer, nor am I involved in the motor industry.

Yet I had you (and presumably many others) fooled. And if I may quote you:-

"I see what you (Diablo) are saying but your thinking is really locked in the past.. the recent past admittedly.

Couple of corrections, the PHENOMENA of 'grip' is Adherence as I correctly termed it and the quantative value is adhesion... very bad mistake that would get you knocked quite a few points in any test."

You appear to still combine Adherence and Conformity it was the separation of these that lead to a more accurate description of the the phenomena."

OK, so to be fair I am a pretty technically minded person (mostly self taught) but, to be honest, I wouldn't (until yesterday) have known the difference between Adhesive and hysteretic friction, or the difference between adherence and conformity.

Having spent, what, less than 5 minutes (or certainly less than the time between some posts) researching the subject on the web, it appears I am now suitably expert (although perhaps a bit behind the thinking of the Institute for Tyre Technology) For sure many contributors to that thread and who knows, perhaps even you, would have thought I "knew my stuff" on that subject.

My point? Well, it appears anyone can appear to be an "expert" with a few minutes research and a bit of practical grounding.

I think I've just proved that. The key word of course being "appear"

Unfortunately, on the web, perception is many peoples reality. The truth is often somewhat different.....

This is not intended to be a dig, or a personal attack, rather something for us all to ponder perhaps

Peace to all

D

Old 16 April 2003, 06:07 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

yep,anyone can create a net persona,and become something they are not

far harder to be yourself and learn humility,for some more than others it sems

kind regards

Jimmy Neutron

[Edited by dba - 4/16/2003 6:08:05 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 06:18 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Diablo, you have become Mycroft. AKA his other persona, that City hating aristocrat in a Scooby Anal_Lube
Old 16 April 2003, 07:01 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Wink

wrong........theres only one Mycroft and only one of me.

shame your too dumb to realise it.
Old 16 April 2003, 07:05 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Apologies old man
Old 16 April 2003, 10:23 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

Diablo, although I agree with you entirely, if it wasn't for the Mycrofts of this world blinding us with their knowledge, we'd have missed out on some very entertaining (if factually incorrect)threads. J
Old 17 April 2003, 06:11 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

###
Thanks for partly answering some of my technical questions on Adhesive (Molecular) Friction and Hysteretic (displacement) Friction, albeit that despite claiming to know the answers you were unable to expand on the differences between adhesion and adherence.
###

I had/have no reason to just post stuff that frankly is beyond any value to anyone here... the post was as I said perfect, I wrote it at my leisure years back and I merely pasted it here... your 'diversion' was not wanted or needed...

###
Interestingly, your analysis created a circular reference (I assume you appreciate the term) which could not therefore logically answer the question.
###

That is because you have not read the entire thread and I addressed that for you...

###
Anyway, enough of that. Whilst (as posted on another thread) my questions were a "distraction" you did believe that I was "getting it" or words to that effect.
###

I was pleased that you at least went to the web to get some knowledge... but you were getting in my way and I dislike distraction so I flattered you a little, it's called encouragement.

###
Now I must be honest with you. I know little about molecular physics (well, nothing more than I learned at School) I am not an engineer, nor am I involved in the motor industry.
###

Yes, that was obvious, but you appeared to be trying to gain knowledge... a false hope it seems... that is the saddest part of you post.

###
Yet I had you (and presumably many others) fooled.
###

Yes, to some extent but that shames you not me.

[Edited by Mycroft - 4/18/2003 10:41:17 AM]
Old 18 April 2003, 01:46 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Top stuff, Mycroft! ROFL

"it's called encouragement" hahahaha!