Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Humax FreeSat

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2010, 12:02 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Humax FreeSat

Going to get one from RicherSounds..they said I will need two LMB's with two cables comming from the satellite dish. At the moment I have one.

Anyone know if this will work with one or not?

Also where can I buy the lmb and decent cables from? And how much should they cost?

Thanks
Old 23 October 2010, 12:24 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you only need one LNB but it has to be a quad LNB and two cables from the dish.
Old 23 October 2010, 01:06 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Why not dual then?

Where can I get one from? And how can I tell what one I have already? I only have one cane comming down it..
Old 23 October 2010, 01:54 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Because quads are the norm to fit, have a look at your dish and see if it has more then one output.

It would be alot easier to ring a aerial or sat company to do the work.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:08 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You only need the one cable for freesat, if it's a freesat pvr then yes you do need two feeds to use it.

And as antc says get a quad lnb, there's little price difference and it's the norm to fit one, just in case you want a second box elsewhere.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:36 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Ok, here is an accurate reply.
I presume you are getting the Humax Foxsat HDR.

The LNB pickup from your dish can be of the single, dual or quad type. This refers to the number of outputs it has. For Sky+ two outputs are required to enable two cables to run to the box for FULL functionality, so a dual or quad lnb is required. The box can run from a single lnb or a dual/quad with only one cable fitted but you will not get full functionality (you will only be able to watch or record the same channel, just like with an old VCR). If the lnb is upgraded to provide two seperate feeds to the box you will get full functionality (using a splitter on one cable doesn't work).
The same principle applies to the Humax Freesat but you will need a short length of cable at the box to link out the unused 2nd input to allow the box to work (on the Sky+ box the input can just be left open).
So the simple answer is yes, you can run it now with only one cable but you will want to upgrade to get full service.
Check out eBay for the lnb and cable and fittings (F-type).

Kevin
Old 23 October 2010, 03:56 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Okay, thanks for the info.

At present we are using a built in freebies box in the plasma..

Does the freesat hd offer more channels? Is it worth the £230 for the hd recorder and £120 for the lnb installation

Last edited by SamUK; 23 October 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 23 October 2010, 04:44 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a Radio Times or a Cable & Satellite Weekly and check out the channel availability because there is a difference between Freeview and Freesat as regards the channels available that are free.
The quality of the satellite picture with a well set up dish is superior to the Freeview via your aerial and there is the whole HD thing to consider which I guess may be your priority.

Kevin
Old 23 October 2010, 05:28 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
The quality of the satellite picture with a well set up dish is superior to the Freeview via your aerial and there is the whole HD thing to consider which I guess may be your priority.

Kevin
I'm sorry but that's bull****
Old 23 October 2010, 05:33 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

If you only have one LNB, it means you can only watch and record on two channels at the same time if they are on the same polarity (of which there are two).
Roughly half the channels are on one polarity and the other half on the other.
Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by cster; 23 October 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 23 October 2010, 06:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The humax boxes also have iplayer functionality if you can connect to it the net.
Old 23 October 2010, 06:28 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth looking here if you're buying Humax - factory reconditioned so you can save a few quid.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat...ctory&type=sat
Old 23 October 2010, 08:52 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
I'm sorry but that's bull****
With reference to non-HD channels fair enough, IF you are in an area that gets acceptable Freeview signal.
Your location and any local obstacles at ground level are even more critical for the Freeview HD reception.
The bandwidth available with Freeview is likely to restrict the number of HD channels available. And to this end BBC HD bandwidth has been reduced on Freesat to keep parity with their Freeview HD so Freeview viewers do not get an inferior service to those on Freesat.
Most people can find somewhere to mount a dish and if you do it doesn't matter if you're in Wisbech or Perpignan, the HD'll be fine. I'm sure I'll appreciate that when I'm on holiday in two weeks time.

Kevin
Old 23 October 2010, 09:06 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SamUK
Okay, thanks for the info.

At present we are using a built in freebies box in the plasma..

Does the freesat hd offer more channels? Is it worth the £230 for the hd recorder and £120 for the lnb installation

FreeSat HD only gives you 2 HD channels at the moment... I have heard that there should be more next year...

I have a Humax Foxsat HDR - yes definately worth getting the HDR version - as much for the pause live play feature as for the recording features. Humax also have a Freeview HDR Fox-T2 available now which does Freeview HD through the terrestrial ariel - 3 HD channels on that at the mo...

I'd be surprised at £120 for LNB upgrade costing that much - but if it's not something you would attempt yourself ring round your local installers I'm sure it should be alot cheaper than that.

Good places for advice on this stuff:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/

Good Luck
Old 23 October 2010, 09:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
With reference to non-HD channels fair enough, IF you are in an area that gets acceptable Freeview signal.
Your location and any local obstacles at ground level are even more critical for the Freeview HD reception.
The bandwidth available with Freeview is likely to restrict the number of HD channels available. And to this end BBC HD bandwidth has been reduced on Freesat to keep parity with their Freeview HD so Freeview viewers do not get an inferior service to those on Freesat.
Most people can find somewhere to mount a dish and if you do it doesn't matter if you're in Wisbech or Perpignan, the HD'll be fine. I'm sure I'll appreciate that when I'm on holiday in two weeks time.

Kevin
If any aerial installer Put a aerial at ground level i wouldn't pay them.they'll be plenty of bandwith when the uk switches over.

Seeing as the OP is in london I'm assuming he's on crystal palace which is HD ready for freeview.

£120 sounds about right for install that'll include everything cabling ,lnb and so on. Our company charges £108+ vat so it's not that bad.