Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Karate for kids?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2010, 09:30 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
My son (a couple of weeks from being 6) is asking about being able to do Karate. Now this is also something that we had been talking about taking him too anyway but we have some questions about his age. I know that some Karate schools will take kids from 5/6 up but another I looked at says 8. The reason being that it's only at about 8 that kids start to see the consequences for their actions, so are less likely to break someone's jaw in the playground the day after a lesson .... I've also seen a similar age mentioned for being able to handle roads without getting run over as it's the age that better spatial awareness kicks in.

Anyhow, who here has taken their kids to Karate/'insert name of similar martial art' and at what age? If at 5/6, how have they handled it? And what to look for when approaching a school (Dojo???? )? I'm going to be talking to a couple of places locally so any advice on what to ask would be appreciated. Especially as Dad might take it up himself ....

Ta in advance.

Dave
If it was me, I'd wander along to a few local clubs and have a chat with Sensei and some parents. Watch how the kids are supervised etc... Then take junior along to one or another of them.
Old 08 June 2010, 09:33 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It really varies by club. Some places say they have to be 8 or 10. Others take them from 4.

In China they start at 3 or 4 so why not here?!

A friend of mine has a kid who has just got a yellow belt at the grand old age of 5!
Old 08 June 2010, 09:47 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Orlando - my eldest son is 10, and has been doing Tang Su Do (Korean Martial Art) since he was 5

He is actually grading on Sunday for his blue belt (which is one before black)

any decent Martial art massively downplays the violent/aggressive aspect -- and promotes respect for others and tolerance etc (all a bit wierdy beardy tbh)

it did cause a few raised eyebrows with my wife and I when, as he achieved his brown belt his teacher told us he would be training with a fighting staff (which we had to buy)

but all in all I am in favour – he is not the biggest boy in his class, but I think his Tang Su Do gives him an inner confidence that is quite apparent to outside observers and is often commented on by other parents

it is quite a commitment btw -- he does 4 hrs a week

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 08 June 2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08 June 2010, 12:45 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Both my sons do martial arts and they are 5 and 3 and a half.

The 5 year old has been doing it for nearly a year now and my other lad started around a month ago.

To be honest I initially had some reservations but they absolutely love it, because of the age group it's more focused towards discipline, respect, control and balance etc.

They teach them basic punches and kicks but they also teach them how to handle bullies, to run away / tell a teacher etc.

They teach them about strangers, never to go anywhere near them and what to do if a stranger tries to grab them.

They do a half hour lesson on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and most of the half hour comprises of the kids running around warming up, playing games etc and they have a blast.

My kids also do swimming lessons once a week and football practice for an hour a week so I think it's a good balance as they also like to sit and play their DS etc.

Last edited by Hanley; 08 June 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08 June 2010, 12:46 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Stupid double posts!!!

Last edited by Hanley; 08 June 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08 June 2010, 12:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My son (a couple of weeks from being 6) is asking about being able to do Karate. Now this is also something that we had been talking about taking him too anyway but we have some questions about his age. I know that some Karate schools will take kids from 5/6 up but another I looked at says 8. The reason being that it's only at about 8 that kids start to see the consequences for their actions, so are less likely to break someone's jaw in the playground the day after a lesson .... I've also seen a similar age mentioned for being able to handle roads without getting run over as it's the age that better spatial awareness kicks in.

Anyhow, who here has taken their kids to Karate/'insert name of similar martial art' and at what age? If at 5/6, how have they handled it? And what to look for when approaching a school (Dojo???? )? I'm going to be talking to a couple of places locally so any advice on what to ask would be appreciated. Especially as Dad might take it up himself ....

Ta in advance.

Dave
Sit him down and watch the "Karate Kid" together, father and son.

After watching the film, ask him if hand to hand combat is really something he wants to do, as such fighting skills come with huge responsibilities.

If he still wants to take up Karate.................

Shove a paint brush in his hand and tell him to get out side and paint the ******* fence then. Practice make perfect.
Old 08 June 2010, 01:31 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I originally took up Shotokan Karate along with my daughter and she was 7 at the time. At the dojo I went to 5/6 was the youngest they would start them and then they would only give tags (3 tags to a belt) for belt gradings as the concept of 10 yo black belts did not really ring true (like an 8 year old Black Belt could physically/mentally deal with an adult agressor...) and it was only after 10 that you could start going up a belt at a time.

As said above, big emphasis on tradition, respect, non-agression, self-defence and I think one of the best by-products is confidence in a child. Thoroughly recommended.

As I said, I do Shotokan Karate, which is a very traditional form of karate. There are a wide variety of martial arts, which vary in their approach, techniques and their ultimate purpose - some are full contact, some are sport based, some use weapons, many don't. Choose one which you think will benefit your child the most.

Unfortunately, my daughter no longer goes as I am not around to enthuse and take her with me and my wife was not bothered. I still keep it up albeit in a new dojo now and its ingrained in me and I hate missing lessons.
Old 08 June 2010, 01:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
They teach them about strangers, never to go anywhere near them and what to do if a stranger tries to grab them.
Strangers are not all bad, these could be the people to save your life! By all means children should be cautious of strangers, but never go near them is not good!

Why do we forget that most child abuse (around 80% IIRC) is carried out by people known to the child. If anything, we should be more worried about people we know and interact with our children!
Old 08 June 2010, 01:47 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My two, 7 year old girl and 5year old boy, have been going for over a year and love it. The likelihood of them breaking anyone's nose is very remote as, at that age, its more about developing co ordination and discipline than fighting. All stressed as being a self defence not attack thing as well.

It's the only hour a week where my 5 year old boy doesn't mess about continually

My older brothers kids did martial arts for several years from the same age and it helped their other sports as well as well as giving them confidence in their pretty rough playground.
Old 08 June 2010, 01:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
If it was me, I'd wander along to a few local clubs and have a chat with Sensei and some parents. Watch how the kids are supervised etc... Then take junior along to one or another of them.
+1

The ages clubs will take them does vary but remember they are based on an average child - whatever that is!

Some kids are taller, shorter, smarter, more/less mature, more/less responsible for thier age, if your son is keen and you think he would benefit and understand then let hinm try, if he isn't a good sensai will tell you so after a few lessons and it would certainly pay off for you to stay for the first few as well to asses the club and your son and his suitability.
Old 08 June 2010, 02:42 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Strangers are not all bad, these could be the people to save your life! By all means children should be cautious of strangers, but never go near them is not good!

Why do we forget that most child abuse (around 80% IIRC) is carried out by people known to the child. If anything, we should be more worried about people we know and interact with our children!
Okay maybe I should have been a little more precise.

I meant education of things such as:
  • Not getting into cars with strangers
  • Not accepting sweets or any treats from strangers
Children do not understand the concept of 80% of bla bla bla!!
Old 08 June 2010, 02:55 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

No worries mate.

BTW, I started Karate when I was 14 and did it for around 18 months.

I really enjoyed it and it helped my self confidence no end. I want my children to take it up when they are a little older than 3.5 and 5.
Old 08 June 2010, 02:59 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

They don't start proper martial arts until they're over 6, prior to that it's about discipline, respect, confidence, control, balance and more importantly - fun.

p.s In Speke, Liverpool there is a 13 year old boy who's been doing this since he was 4 and he's a 3rd Dan black belt
Old 08 June 2010, 08:42 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Old 08 June 2010, 09:27 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but it's bleddy useful in Speke. Just think, he can chop up his own bricks to put under cars so he can half-inch the wheels .....

Dave
tosser..............oh go on then, in this case i suppose exceptions could be allowed
Old 09 June 2010, 09:01 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I'm an honorary scouser.

My wife is scouser and my kids were born here but I'm from the north-east!!

Not sure which is worse to be honest, although I've been unable to inflct the pain of supporting NUFC onto my kids, they've developed into reds.
Old 09 June 2010, 04:24 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
I'm an honorary scouser.

My wife is scouser and my kids were born here but I'm from the north-east!!

Not sure which is worse to be honest, although I've been unable to inflct the pain of supporting NUFC onto my kids, they've developed into reds.
you obviously have clever kids then