Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

For the atheists of SN

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 04:48 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the atheists of SN

Apparently we are all *****, Stalinists and worse...

http://www.news.com.au/national/athe...-1225848927144

Makes my p!ss boil
Old 02 April 2010, 04:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just skimmed the comments, one guy (comment 250) is telling people to prove God DOESN'T exist.

I think someone needs to explain that it is logically impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

Oh, wait. Logic. Religion.
Old 02 April 2010, 05:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I just hate everyone.
Old 02 April 2010, 05:05 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

He is defending his religion because without it, abusing children would be much more difficult for him.
Old 02 April 2010, 05:19 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

@ Kieran_Burns
Logic & religion? Mutually exclusive, IMO.
In all fields the burden of proof is in the positive, always has been, always will be. In essence, as an example, one proves something is black, not that it isn't.

I accept that some folks feel the need to have faith in their chosen deity, I just don't understand why.
Old 02 April 2010, 05:23 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Mark why do you think us lot shipped them all out to oz ? nutters the lot of them including you
Old 02 April 2010, 05:31 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

@Jamie
Love the country, just that some of the inmates are a bit iffy

just a fookin minute, whaddya mean "....including me"
Old 02 April 2010, 10:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

"Last century we tried godlessness on a grand scale and the effects were devastating: Nazism, Stalinism, Pol Pot-ery...
PMSL Just say no to Pol Pot-ery... much nastier than ordinary pottery!
Old 03 April 2010, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
He is defending his religion because without it, abusing children would be much more difficult for him.
That is a shameful accusation, or do you have positive evidence that he is guilty of such atrocities?

I can't underestand why it is necessary for each side to attack each other in such a way. It is a waste of energy anyway because in each case one would be preaching to the converted. No one is going to change the other man's mind. Arguments along religious lines are always a failure all round.

It is far more usual for Atheists to attack the religious for some reason, maybe to boost themselves-who knows why? I also think it was stupid of the churches to try to run down Atheism. There is just no point in causing arguments on either side.

What really counts is that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and the important thing is that we should follow our own consciences in that respect if we want to be honest to ourselves. It would be far more wrong not to do that.

If that is accepted, then there is no reason why both sides cannot live in perfect harmony. As long as one's beliefs don't cause troubles for the innocent and follow Natural Law or those laws of the land, then there should be no cause for jumping up and down about it or having ineffective arguments!

Les
Old 03 April 2010, 01:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
That is a shameful accusation, or do you have positive evidence that he is guilty of such atrocities?Les
That is more to do with society packing off homos to religious college rather than 'face the shame'. Their career was thus mapped out as being justifiably celibate (with women). This recipe for chaos as is now unravelling due to a mass repression of one of His own creations.

I actually know one - he came out and got a proper job. Lovely guy and far better with the camp unleashed rather than repressed and drooling over older teenage boys!

D
Old 03 April 2010, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

"Last century we tried godlessness on a grand scale and the effects were devastating: Nazism, Stalinism, Pol Pot-ery, mass murder, abortion and broken relationships - all promoted by state-imposed atheism," he said.
Oh the irony!!!!!

No lives have ever been lost in the name of religion, oh no........

If the weapons of the 20th Century had been available to the Crusaders, or the Moors, then the loss of life would have made WWII look like a slight argument between friends.

Geezer
Old 03 April 2010, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
That is more to do with society packing off homos to religious college rather than 'face the shame'. Their career was thus mapped out as being justifiably celibate (with women). This recipe for chaos as is now unravelling due to a mass repression of one of His own creations.

I actually know one - he came out and got a proper job. Lovely guy and far better with the camp unleashed rather than repressed and drooling over older teenage boys!

D
We did have one homosexual pupil at my school. He had a pleasant enough personality but a very strong urge and we used to avoid being alone with him in case he tried it on. He was not actively disliked by anyone. Don't think he was deliberately sent there for his sexuality rather that the fact that it was a very good school.

We also had a homosexual teacher but he kept it under control, never made any advances to pupils and was very good at his job too.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 03 April 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05 April 2010, 01:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Oh the irony!!!!!

No lives have ever been lost in the name of religion, oh no........

If the weapons of the 20th Century had been available to the Crusaders, or the Moors, then the loss of life would have made WWII look like a slight argument between friends.

Geezer
If you are using that argument Geezer, then you have to also ask how many lives were also lost in the name of religious persecution.

All those shameful things happened not so much because of religious or atheist teachings but because of people with their own personal desires, and in actual fact they would not have been following true teaching from either the religion concerned or from natural law regardless of their pronouncements.

I don't know of a major religion which would teach that its followers should rush off and murder people, and nor would natural law.

There is no good reason why people should not be left to follow their own beliefs either way as long as they don't try to destroy a society for their own selfish reasons. By the same token they should also be free to defend their own way of life from unfair attack.

We see all those threats now in the name of religion but they are made by those who are using that religion for their own selfish reasons. They want ultimate power and don't care how they get it. It is not the fault of the religion concerned because it would never advocate such actions.

Mindlessly biased attacks in either direction serve no good purpose and should be regarded in that light.

Les
Old 05 April 2010, 02:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comment 302 made me laugh

However, there is no "proof" I've ever heard of that conclusively shows god exists. Bilbo Baggins, too, is a figure in a pretty popular book. Does that mean he actually exists until prooven otherwise?
Tony
Old 05 April 2010, 02:46 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you are using that argument Geezer, then you have to also ask how many lives were also lost in the name of religious persecution.

All those shameful things happened not so much because of religious or atheist teachings but because of people with their own personal desires, and in actual fact they would not have been following true teaching from either the religion concerned or from natural law regardless of their pronouncements.

I don't know of a major religion which would teach that its followers should rush off and murder people, and nor would natural law.

There is no good reason why people should not be left to follow their own beliefs either way as long as they don't try to destroy a society for their own selfish reasons. By the same token they should also be free to defend their own way of life from unfair attack.

We see all those threats now in the name of religion but they are made by those who are using that religion for their own selfish reasons. They want ultimate power and don't care how they get it. It is not the fault of the religion concerned because it would never advocate such actions.

Mindlessly biased attacks in either direction serve no good purpose and should be regarded in that light.

Les
Quite, and you know I think that man is the problem, not religion per se Les, but in the context of the quote from the religious side, that is where the irony is.

Pots and kettles and all that.

Geezer
Old 05 April 2010, 03:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markr1963
Apparently we are all *****, Stalinists and worse...

I can live with that to be honest, I'm confident that if ****'s had of won we'd defo not homo's flouting around like they own the place, teen pregnancy at high rates, imigration screwing up the country and scumbags scrounging off the state. Credit crunch? whats credit Adolf?

Plus i'm blonde haired and blued eyed, so i'd be put out to stud!
Old 06 April 2010, 02:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Quite, and you know I think that man is the problem, not religion per se Les, but in the context of the quote from the religious side, that is where the irony is.

Pots and kettles and all that.

Geezer
We are not that far apart then Geezer.

I think the comments from Jensen are every bit as bad as those from a dedicated atheist running down those with religious beliefs.

Les
Old 06 April 2010, 02:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I can live with that to be honest, I'm confident that if ****'s had of won we'd defo not homo's flouting around like they own the place, teen pregnancy at high rates, imigration screwing up the country and scumbags scrounging off the state. Credit crunch? whats credit Adolf?

Plus i'm blonde haired and blued eyed, so i'd be put out to stud!
Oooh I say!

Les