Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Should atheists tolerate religious views?
Yes
51.61%
No
48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Should Atheists be tolerant?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2007, 08:39 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Atheists be tolerant?

Yet another religion thread! (Sorry)

The "Does god exist?" and other religion-based threads has several people describing themselves as "tolerant atheists". I assume this means that the posters do not themselves believe in God but respect others rights to believe but I am asking, should atheists tolerate and respect other religious beliefs?

Consider this example.

George W Bush, probably the most powerful man in the world, believes in God, prays to God and takes advice from God and believes that America is blessed by God.

Now replace the word "God" in the sentence above with "Fairies". Would you vote for him?

To an atheist, fairies are just as real as God, yet somehow, the God-believers are respected and the fairy-believers are mocked, or taken away by men in white coats.
Old 05 April 2007, 08:46 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

oneof my friends is definitely not what I'd describe as a tolerant atheist.
His favourite line against god botherers is:
"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you. When you understand why you reject all others, you'll understand why I reject yours."
He's got a point, you have to admit.
astraboy.
Old 05 April 2007, 08:57 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Yet another religion thread! (Sorry)

The "Does god exist?" and other religion-based threads has several people describing themselves as "tolerant atheists". I assume this means that the posters do not themselves believe in God but respect others rights to believe but I am asking, should atheists tolerate and respect other religious beliefs?

Consider this example.

George W Bush, probably the most powerful man in the world, believes in God, prays to God and takes advice from God and believes that America is blessed by God.

Now replace the word "God" in the sentence above with "Fairies". Would you vote for him?

To an atheist, fairies are just as real as God, yet somehow, the God-believers are respected and the fairy-believers are mocked, or taken away by men in white coats.

sorry bush doesnt believe in God as the creator God, he believees in the oil God

if he believes jesus is his lord, he wont invade and slaughter folk and milk money the evil way

def doesnt believe in God or jesus
Old 05 April 2007, 09:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone who says we *have* a duty to follow any religion can swivel
Old 05 April 2007, 09:08 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
oneof my friends is definitely not what I'd describe as a tolerant atheist.
His favourite line against god botherers is:
"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you. When you understand why you reject all others, you'll understand why I reject yours."
He's got a point, you have to admit.
astraboy.
Great quote astraboy!
Old 05 April 2007, 09:14 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Y God-believers are respected
sadly becoming less and less true
Old 05 April 2007, 09:17 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i think well see the end of established, traditional religions within 2 or 3 generations...
Old 05 April 2007, 09:20 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

There is a big difference between believers in god and believers in fairies - and that is that the believers in god have been taught by parents, schools, the church etc. that there is a god, whereas most believers in fairies got there on their own.

While IMHO both beliefs are wrong, the latter are more likely to be dangerously insane.

Having said that, I am not tolerant of religious belief if it causes people to take action I believe is immoral - in the same way I am not tolerant of scientific or political beliefs that have the same effect. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is the actions that count, not the beliefs that underly them.

BTW there is a great South Park episode on what would happen if atheists became intolerant (it's the one where Richard Dawkins falls in love with Mr Garrison after his sex change operation).
Old 05 April 2007, 10:12 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
i think well see the end of established, traditional religions within 2 or 3 generations...
Here perhaps, but not in the in the middle east, or for that matter, the good ol' US of A.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:14 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8

BTW there is a great South Park episode on what would happen if atheists became intolerant (it's the one where Richard Dawkins falls in love with Mr Garrison after his sex change operation).
LOL - that I would like to see !!
Old 05 April 2007, 10:27 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
I guess what I am trying to say is that it is the actions that count, not the beliefs that underly them.
But isn't it the belief that triggers the action? People who strap explosives to themselves or crash planes into buildings would probably be somewhat more reluctant to do so if they didn't truly believe that the people they were killing were infidels, and that they would end up in paradise as a result.

I'm not particularly tolerant of religious beliefs because I consider they have the capacity to cause a great deal of harm to our society. Modern weapons and a steadfast belief that you truly know the rules which some god wants us to live by are a deadly combination.

And as the author Sam Harris repeatedly points out, by letting mainstream belief go unchallenged and escape from any rigorous or scientific enquiry, it becomes very hard to tackle extremism.

Gary.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:40 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Here perhaps, but not in the in the middle east, or for that matter, the good ol' US of A.
beliefs are becoming more and more diluted with every generation...i can see it happenning globally...fair enough, might take a bit longer with the fanatics...

Last edited by brihoppy; 05 April 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It actually takes quite an effort to be tolerant of other views. Easy to say but difficult in practice. At least that's my experience. dl
Old 05 April 2007, 10:57 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

[quote=Suresh;6814694]Probably true for Christianity in Western Eurpoe. Beliefs are not necessarily becoming diluted in the US or for non-native religions in Europe though. Radicalisation seen in the UK is a good example, I'd say. Its an identity / cohesion thing and not to be underestimated, as we have already seen.

even as so many youngsters in the ME are becoming more and more westernised...and the level of apathy in the US is growing every day...?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:08 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Quite different to our 'God poll' results -
A 2006 online Harris Poll of 2,010 U.S. adults (18 and older) found that only 58% of those surveyed were "absolutely certain" that God exists while 6% were "absolutely certain" that God does not exist.[3] The other 36% to 38% reported that they were only "somewhat certain" or "unsure" regarding the existence of God (21% reported they were "somewhat certain that there is a God," 11% that they were "not sure whether or not there is a God," and 6% that they were "somewhat certain that there is no God")

Participation rising, not falling
In, a 2006 online Harris Poll of 2,010 U.S. adults (18 and older) found that only 26% of those surveyed attended religious services "every week or more often," 9% went "once or twice a month" 21% went "a few times a year," 3% went "once a year," 22% went "less than once a year," and 18% never attend religious services. An identical survey by Harris in 2003 found that only 26% of those surveyed attended religious services "every week or more often," 11% went "once or twice a month" 19% went "a few times a year," 4% went "once a year," 16% went "less than once a year," and 25% never attend religious services. Because these polls were conducted online, it is likely that the results are more truthful, as people are more likely admit to potentially embarrassing beliefs when responding to online surveys than when talking to interviewers in telephone surveys.

Source: Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yeah im not denying that now...especially after that louis theroux thing the other night...but can you really see this generation of kids perpetuating that...?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:16 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Possibly. I expect 9/11 had something to do with growth (radicalisation) of Christianity in the US. The current generation had ringside seats like the rest of us. If 58% of the fatties are saying they are certain of the existence of big G, then there is a worrying amount of brainwashing going on there
youre not wrong about that...

i just dont see it lasting personally...
Old 05 April 2007, 11:42 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
beliefs are becoming more and more diluted with every generation...i can see it happenning globally...fair enough, might take a bit longer with the fanatics...
You mean the Yanks ?!
Old 06 April 2007, 02:18 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Don't let the impression you get from American TV and movies fool you, they generally only portray the small proportion of the population centred around the big coastal cities like New York, Los Angeles or Miami. Venture inland a little and you'll find christian fundamentalism is not only alive & kicking it is expanding
It is these right wing 'christians' that ensured George Bush remained in office, and it is they who will also ensure that, what ever the pinko democrates would like you to believe, there will be no black president for the foreseable future
Old 06 April 2007, 08:19 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
there will be no black president for the foreseable future
I guess it'll be a while before there's a poofta president then

Religions are used to opress people and prevent them from thinking freely - the sooner they cease to exist the better. On the other hand they are quite effective at keeping the thickos in line - Oooh don't do anything bad or the skies will fall in on you and kill your whole family

And I'm still waiting for "God" to strike me down
Old 06 April 2007, 08:37 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Difficult Pole to answer, while I agree with the negative views on religion not tolerating it would make be as bad as those that follow it.

Intolerant Atheism would be tantamount to a religion in it's self imo. It's pretty much a contradiction in terms, which really is a good start for any religion
Old 06 April 2007, 08:38 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

In fact I didn't answer the pole as I don't think it can be a yes/no answer
Old 06 April 2007, 09:14 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Stephen F Roberts
Old 06 April 2007, 09:17 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I'm tolerant of religion up to the point it starts to have an impact on me. Sadly religion is now starting to make demands on what is being taught in science classes, look at the recent issues in the US with creationists demanding that their un-scientific version be taught along side evolution. That's just plain wrong. Teach it by all means but in an RE class not a biology class.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:39 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Speaking of RE... Why isn't atheism taught as part of the curriculum? If the pupils are supposed to receive a balanced view of all faiths then surely atheism should be part of that view (i.e. a complete lack of faith)
Old 06 April 2007, 09:58 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Well there's not much to teach is there.. I suppose it's quite hard to fill a few classes, there's not exactly atheist celebrations and scriptures... Hold on, now that's an idea, an atheist holiday.

We could call it the day of the non-brainwashed and go to the pub for a few pints instead of work

I think it's time atheism was recognised in that way
Old 06 April 2007, 10:00 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Anybody who has religious beliefs of any sort is a brainwashed idiot in my eyes.
Old 06 April 2007, 10:00 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I agree Gary, but it would be difficult. Atheism is almost seen as some sort of odd mental condition or weakness by the moral majority.
This is not the case general in the UK, I think you'd have to be in some fairly strange circles to have that impression. I'd certainly agree if you were talking about the US though.
Old 06 April 2007, 10:02 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Anybody who has religious beliefs of any sort is a brainwashed idiot in my eyes.

I believe religion exists
Old 06 April 2007, 10:45 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Well politicians tend to be fruit loops anyway, so I'm hardly surprised a lot of them are believers

I think the majority of real people would see having a very strong faith (ie church every sunday) stranger than atheism. I'd hope so anyway, that's certainly the case with the people I know.
Old 06 April 2007, 10:52 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The list of atheist politicians numbers only 22 here - and that's including the dead ones!

Category:Atheist politicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL... I was pleased to see Robin Cook in there as I admired his courage for resigning over the Iraq evidence of WMD... but then I saw Kim Jong Il was also in the list.

Politicians have a long way to go it seems.

Quick Reply: Should Atheists be tolerant?