Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tsunami V Haiti

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2010, 11:43 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsunami V Haiti

Both disasters will likely have similar death tolls, but why is there little compasion for whats going on in Haiti? Not just on here but in general.

No threads asking for money? No charity Auctions? In fact just one miserable thread about death tolls!

Our work even did a 2 mins silence for the Tsunami victims!

Why is this?
  • Because we don't know anything about the place?
  • Because of the colour of their skin?
  • Because we have never been on holiday there, or know anyone who has, or are ever likely too?
  • Because we have seen them act like animals, raping, looting and fighting?
I see it on the news and it's awful yet no one really seems that bothered or talks about it? Don't we care what happens if we are unlikey to ever visit the place?
Old 22 January 2010, 11:56 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It could well be because it's one of the most corrupt countries in the world and thus people don't believe that any aid funding will actually reach the people it should be destined for and will end up in the slush fund of the various corrupt government officials and corrupt businessmen.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The Tsunami happened when the world economy was growing and people felt wealthy.

Haiti happened when the world economy is in recession and people feel poor

That and frankly when we can't even afford enough grit to keep our roads open after a few inches of snow I don't feel much like funding a country thousands of miles away no matter how much worse they have it than us.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:39 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The Tsunami happened when the world economy was growing and people felt wealthy.

Haiti happened when the world economy is in recession and people feel poor

That and frankly when we can't even afford enough grit to keep our roads open after a few inches of snow I don't feel much like funding a country thousands of miles away no matter how much worse they have it than us.
Spot on. As said Haiti is one the most currupt countires in the world. Yes, what has happened is truely awful but where does it stop?
We can't all be responcible for every natural disaster going, especially when our own government is £100 billion in the red. You can't help others when your own country is not in order.

Harsh but true.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have seen buckets set up for people to throw donations in at some shops and supermarkets and they always have cash in them.

Les
Old 22 January 2010, 12:53 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Latest from the DEC is that £38M has been pledge by the British public, I'd say we are getting right behind this and supporting the victims of the tragedy.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I don't quite agree with your original post. I think there is plenty of sympathy for the Haiti victims and colour doesn't come into it. Of course the Tsunami was a "sexier" disaster - huge sea movement will always be more newsworthy than a boring old earthquake.

And the Tsunami location had a basic infrastructure. Money doesn't' really seem to be a problem in Haiti but organisation in the circumstances must be a nightmare. And we do tend to rely on the proximity of the USA to pour in some of its vast resources.

But it will quickly fade from the news once the last live kid has been pulled out.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 22 January 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:29 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I'm not that interested in something that has happened on t'other side of the World. We get natural disasters reported almost on a weekly scale these days ...

TX.
Old 22 January 2010, 03:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont mind donating a few quid when I get a bucket under my nose and have a monthly, small direct debit to the British Red Cross to cover my conscience.

All it takes is a couple of quid, 50p, whatever, off those that can afford it, its pretty dire out there, families ripped apart, bodies everywhere, imagine having one of your kids sick or injured and not being able to get medical help, food or water, we are pretty stuck for doing anything other than some money and sometimes it probably never gets there or is too late but its something.

Have to say the reports coming out of Haiti suggest that a certain element are treating it as an opportunity to profit, in that situation, I can see why the Police are ready to shoot them, looting suggests being in good enough shape to help rather than feathering their own nests.
Old 22 January 2010, 09:17 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

I feel a lot of empathy for the victims in Haiti. After 15 Aftershocks I can't find my house either!
Old 22 January 2010, 09:27 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before this i had never heard of Haiti! I know a bad thing to say but i haven't really given it much thought because the place doesn't mean anything to me.

Very ignorant of me but its the truth.
Old 22 January 2010, 10:20 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

It annoys me somewhat that there are media broadcasts appealing to our compassionate nature to throw a few quid in the pot to help those who have been affected by this earthquake. To me it doesn't seem right when the same local homeless guys sleep in the same doorways night after night in our city centres, when we can't sort out a much smaller problem like this, just how effective are these charities is dealing with a crisis on the far side of the world???
Old 22 January 2010, 10:37 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I have two standing orders a month to charity's that I want and think need my money.

I am in the thinking, rightly or wrongly, that you can't give to everyone" camp.
Old 23 January 2010, 12:55 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
I feel a lot of empathy for the victims in Haiti. After 15 Aftershocks I can't find my house either!
Yeah that stupid attempt at a joke was done on an earlier thread, but well done
Old 23 January 2010, 10:25 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

I found it interesting to read this thread, as at the time of the Earthquake we were holidaying in Cuba - next door to Haiti.

We were put on Tsunami alert, however we felt & saw nothing at all.

We did however tune into the local TV and CNN and were shocked by what we saw & heard.

Cuba is not a wealthy country by any means, but immediately sent aid - never has the phrase 'charity begins at home' meant so much.

What we found shocking was the complete disorganisation by the multiple charities & aid workers - all trying to do their bit, but nothing seems to be happening.

The Americans were turning away aid planes at the airport that were carrying desperately needed medical supplies, resulting in unneccessary deaths.

Basically there seemed to be a power struggle going on, and until a 'leader' was declared. whether it be the Hatian Government or the American forces, the people were going to continue suffering.....
Old 23 January 2010, 10:34 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The fact that the country is corrupt does not take anything away from the human suffering. The UN has declared it the worst humanitarian disaster for decades, much worse than the Tsunami.

Political corruption does not detract from the literally thousands of amputees with untreated or badly treated wounds; literally thousands of orphans.

For a country where the standard of living is around a dollar a day, it doesn't take much to make a difference. And a dollar doesn't take that much compassion to give - the price of a can of coke or a can of beer from the supermarket.
Old 23 January 2010, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
The fact that the country is corrupt does not take anything away from the human suffering. The UN has declared it the worst humanitarian disaster for decades, much worse than the Tsunami.

Political corruption does not detract from the literally thousands of amputees with untreated or badly treated wounds; literally thousands of orphans.

For a country where the standard of living is around a dollar a day, it doesn't take much to make a difference. And a dollar doesn't take that much compassion to give - the price of a can of coke or a can of beer from the supermarket.
+1

My turn Trout,and I agree totally.

Les
Old 23 January 2010, 10:55 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Blue WRX
The Americans were turning away aid planes at the airport that were carrying desperately needed medical supplies, resulting in unneccessary deaths.

Basically there seemed to be a power struggle going on, and until a 'leader' was declared. whether it be the Hatian Government or the American forces, the people were going to continue suffering.....
Taken from the BBC

On the face of it, there is collective responsibility for the relief effort - with the Americans controlling the skies, and UN personnel directing the delivery of aid on the ground. And all give a courteous mention to their partners in the Haitian government.

But in practice, the inescapable impression is that the US military is calling all the shots that count. Go to the landing strip at Port-au-Prince airport and you will struggle to find a Haitian face. American troops are everywhere.

"If we have been perceived as trying to dominate, I don't think it was intent on our part - it might simply be because we have a lot of stuff," ponders Rear Adm Ted Branch, who leads the maritime component of the US effort.

At the start of the relief effort, Rear Adm Branch acknowledged a lack of co-ordination between the US contingent and other agencies, together with security issues in landing zones.

One week on he is more upbeat.

"We shifted to a system where we only deliver relief supplies in a controlled environment," he explains.

"If we have security and a system on the ground, it means everyone gets their share of the rations - not just the strongest."

Time and again, US personnel of all stripes insist they are visitors not occupiers, clearly mindful of America's chequered past here.

In a country with minimal strategic or economic significance for the US, this massive deployment reflects a genuine desire to help a neighbour in need.

And given the sheer scale of Haiti's devastation, it may be that US military muscle is the only realistic way to fix things.

But expectations are huge.

An emotional US President Barack Obama promised Haitians: "You will not be forsaken."

As rescue and relief efforts give way to long-term reconstruction, his good intentions will be put to the test.
Old 23 January 2010, 02:00 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i am almost positive i heard the other day that more money has been donated to this disaster than any other previously, not sure if that is a world wide figure though tbh? but the reason i opened this thread is because of the Q raised,
TSUNAMI v HAITI but which is better.....(bring on Harry Hill)
Old 23 January 2010, 11:16 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Charity Starts at Home!
Old 23 January 2010, 11:16 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

and stays there
Old 23 January 2010, 11:21 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

Non of us gave a flying *** before. It takes this to make us think differently. As I see it on this world of ours most people wouldn't help their own neighbour these days so why should we bother about somebody miles away?
Old 24 January 2010, 09:11 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

It's a good question. We have donated but not as much as for the Tsunami appeal. Why? Well the lawlessness of the country and the concern of how much in each pound will get to the victims are the main reasons. Plus I've retired and we simply do not have the cash these days.
Old 24 January 2010, 10:49 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

£10 quid says the first Building to be rebuilt are the UN Compound and the presidential palace.
Old 24 January 2010, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I find it disappointing that there are those who are not prepared to give a helping hand to those poor people who are in such trouble through no fault of their own.

The fact that they are miles away or even just foreigners is no reason to start bringing out the "charity begins at home" and "corrupt government" etc which are just excuses to avoid having to give a little to help those who have lost relatives and their homes and possessions.

Very selfish attitude in my book, I wonder if these are the types who would be the first to expect aid if it happened to them!

Les
Old 24 January 2010, 11:42 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

americans must be jumping with joy, if they ever needed an excuse to have their troops so close to cuba - they've certainly hit jackpot. castro is probably ****ing bricks by now

Last edited by serega; 24 January 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 24 January 2010, 11:50 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
£10 quid says the first Building to be rebuilt are the UN Compound and the presidential palace.
Spot on - we were appalled to see on Cuban TV how many search teams were working on the UN buliding, and there were people begging for help to rescue live children from a nearby orphanage......

Originally Posted by serega
americans must be jumping with joy, if they ever needed an excuse to have their troops so close to cuba - they've certainly hit jackpot. castro is probably ****ing bricks by now
There was certainly some 'discussions' amongst the Cubans we have got to know over the years about this - they seemed to view it the same.

There are very mixed feelings amongst them about whether they think it would be a good or bad thing for the embargo to be lifted, ie for the USA to be 'allowed' in.

Selfishly, I think it would be a really bad thing, however, what the Americans want the Americans get - usually with the UK govt right behind them....
Old 24 January 2010, 12:13 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I find it disappointing that there are those who are not prepared to give a helping hand to those poor people who are in such trouble through no fault of their own.

The fact that they are miles away or even just foreigners is no reason to start bringing out the "charity begins at home" and "corrupt government" etc which are just excuses to avoid having to give a little to help those who have lost relatives and their homes and possessions.

Very selfish attitude in my book, I wonder if these are the types who would be the first to expect aid if it happened to them!

Les
Completely agree - some of these comments are very sad.

We live in an imperfect world - it would be sad if we use this as an excuse for such selfishness and social recession.