Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2009, 01:48 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet censorship

And Australia is supposed a democratic, free speach sort of place
Aussie firewall blocks Wikileaks ? The Register
Rumour has it that the list contained a dentist from Queensland and a tour bus operator. Ok, Wikipaedia is not 100% reliable but...

Would someone not in a land down under do me a favour and see if the Wikileaks articles relating to ACMA blacklists and Denmark's blacklists are available?

This made me laugh. 'Leaked list of banned websites' was not the ACMA blacklist, says Stephen Conroy | News | News.com.au
Caught red handed methinks.

What's the SN concensus on internet censorship? While I have no problem with kiddie ****, terrorism and others being banned, I have a real problem with being dictated to as to what I can view. I can imagine the string pullers to be religious, tree hugging nut jobs thus denying, or skewing, access to sites for the more open minded.

Basically, I want to be in control of my own moral compass.
Old 19 March 2009, 04:32 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Can I suggest you spend less time surfing, and more time surfing mate!

With the beaches out there, who wants to be on the web?
Old 19 March 2009, 08:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The UK is censored quite a lot now since a new regulation or other came into effect 2006/7, beheading videos, torture etc, some may not like it, but I see it as censoring real life.

Originally Posted by markr1963

Would someone not in a land down under do me a favour and see if the Wikileaks articles relating to ACMA blacklists and Denmark's blacklists are available?
Can't see them, will keep looking
Old 19 March 2009, 08:52 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Summary

This list contains 2395 webpages or site variations derived from the those secretly banned by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and used by a government approved censorship software maker in its "ACMA only" censorship mode. The last update to the ACMA list is August 6, 2008.

While Wikileaks is used to exposing secret government censorship in developing countries, we now find Australia acting like a democratic backwater. Apparently without irony, ACMA threatens fines of upto $11,000 a day for linking to sites on its secret, unreviewable, censorship blacklist -- a list the government hopes to expand into a giant national censorship machine.
pm email addy if you want it.
Old 19 March 2009, 09:31 PM
New_scooby_04

-----Thread censored by webteam----

Old 19 March 2009, 10:57 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
-----Thread censored by webteam----

Good call - removing that picture posted of snet's moderators will prevent a lot of vomiting
Old 20 March 2009, 10:51 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

my jade goody joke thread i posted last night got vaped pretty sharpish. Rather ironic when there is a multiple page thread on here which basically amounts to soft ****.
Here's to the net nannies!
Astraboy.
Old 20 March 2009, 11:12 AM
New_scooby_04

I saw that thread:

That was a joke?!?!? Sounded more like someone promoting reveling in the imminent horrible death of a young mother of two to me! And that's from someone who likes bad taste humour, normally! Come on mate, even you knew that post was dubious, hence the *runs* comment at the end.

I really don't see the irony....one thread was just nasty and malicious, the other involves pictures of ladies no more revealing than you'd find in magazines (that minors are legally allowed to buy) in WHSmith! Incidentally, I have personally removed some pictures from that the WAG thread that crossed the line (and I'm a man who like bewbies - ask Tam ), so it's not as if the webteam monitor for some types of transgression and not others!

We do have a community to look after here....if that makes us nannies, then ok, fine.

Now, finish your Frosties and get dressed for School!!!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 20 March 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 20 March 2009, 12:13 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I saw that thread:

That was a joke?!?!? Sounded more like someone promoting reveling in the imminent horrible death of a young mother of two to me! And that's from someone who likes bad taste humour, normally! Come on mate, even you knew that post was dubious, hence the *runs* comment at the end.

I really don't see the irony....one thread was just nasty and malicious, the other involves pictures of ladies no more revealing than you'd find in magazines (that minors are legally allowed to buy) in WHSmith! Incidentally, I have personally removed some pictures from that the WAG thread that crossed the line (and I'm a man who like bewbies - ask Tam ), so it's not as if the webteam monitor for some types of transgression and not others!

We do have a community to look after here....if that makes us nannies, then ok, fine.

Now, finish your Frosties and get dressed for School!!!
Very forthright of you. Is your personal attack in your final comment another way you 'look after the community'?

My joke was near the knuckle, but no worse than the rediculous pantomime being played out in the media. The fact you've fallen for it hook line and sinker is the only funny part. Are you seriously telling me you are more offended by my joke than newspapermen profiteering over her death, but justifying it by telling everyone how 'brave' she is? Her crying son was plastered on the front page in a disgusting attempt to shift more copies. Ok actually anticipated her death and when she didnt die, printed the tribute issue anyway, then tried to spin their way out of it. And you're disgusted by a joke?

Try forming your own opinions in future, instead of the ones given to you by rupert murdoch.
Astraboy.
Old 20 March 2009, 12:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by astraboy
Very forthright of you. Is your personal attack in your final comment another way you 'look after the community'?

My joke was near the knuckle, but no worse than the rediculous pantomime being played out in the media. The fact you've fallen for it hook line and sinker is the only funny part. Are you seriously telling me you are more offended by my joke than newspapermen profiteering over her death, but justifying it by telling everyone how 'brave' she is? Her crying son was plastered on the front page in a disgusting attempt to shift more copies. Ok actually anticipated her death and when she didnt die, printed the tribute issue anyway, then tried to spin their way out of it. And you're disgusted by a joke?

Try forming your own opinions in future, instead of the ones given to you by rupert murdoch.
Astraboy.
1) Personal attack - hardly, hence the smiley faces
2) I do find the media circus offensive actually, but I can think of better ways of remonstrating with the media than posting a "joke" which basically revels in someone's imminent death.

As for forming my own opinions:

I put it to you that you're now using the media circus line in an ad-hoc fashion to disingenuously indicate that a post you made in poor taste was, in point of fact, some kind of socio-political point about the media and our reaction to it. Come off it!

If you don't like the way that Jade has built a dubious career by manipulating the media (or is it the other way around) fine. If you don't like her (although I'm betting you've never met her) Fine. If you don't believe in her motives for letting the press cover her death, fine. If you can't feel compassion for a fellow human being dying of cancer, sad, but fine! If you have a problem with the media's "If it bleeds, it leads" attitude, fine. I agree with you- although it is US, the general public, who perpetuate this by buying the papers.

BUT posting the kind of thread you posted makes no contribution at any level. At the very best (assuming you're spot on in your moral stance on the media's treatment of this whole sad affair) it's a case of two wrongs don't make a right!

But lets at least cut the BS: I suspect what is happening here is that some people have developed a real irrational hatred of this woman and are just letting rip and don't give a s*it about her suffering or the fact that she means something to some people who actually knew her outside of the media circus!

Ns "Up yours Murdoch" 04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 20 March 2009 at 12:51 PM.