Censorship

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2000, 10:02 PM
IFG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

All,
this post is in reference to the censorship voting page put up by the moderators. I went to the page to vote and realised that I couldn't do so. The reason is that its not as simple as 'yes' scoobynet should be censored or 'no' it shouldn't. I'll repeat some of what I put on an earlier note in reply to MTRs outburst on the content of one of Stef's posts.

I believe there are 2 logical and moral levels of censorship:-

1. Removal and destruction of material that is deemed by society as a whole to be intolerable enough to be illegal.

In the context of this board IMOP this should be the extent of the moderators role.

2. Clearly marking material that may be offensive so that responsible adults can make an informed descision as to whether they OR THEIR CHILDREN should be exposed to it.
EG. Cert 18, Cert 15 etc.

This I agree should be all our responsibilities with the moderators stepping in ONLY if offensive/disturbing content is not indicated as such.

Stef did censor the post himself by CLEARLY marking it as distressing and unsuitable for some.

Can I put forward a suggestion ? (Flame retardent suit on) Its not this board's primary aim to provide children with a safe area to surf, although it is evident that quite a few are allowed to do so by their parents with some control. If this is the case then I think self censorship should be the way forward not censorship by the moderators (unless its illegal or a personal attack). If a post is going to contain material or links that might offend then mark it as so in the title (or how about a warning message icon/smilie like an red 18 in a white circle ?).

This a vibrant site that enjoys free and frank banter from all sorts of people. I would hate to see it supressed and sanitised in order to become suitable for viewing by a small minority of members.

I agree that censorship IS the responsibility of all. But censorship does not mean removal of posts that might offend a minority, it means that fair warning is provided of such items to allow those who may be offended to avoid them and ensure the minors in their charge do also.

I.
Old 15 September 2000, 10:08 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

IFG spot on!
Old 15 September 2000, 11:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IFG

Great post.

However...

The vote IS relevant as long as the following is clear...

The vote does not say what level of censorship is going to happen if it ends up as YES.

If a significant level of votes point to yes, then we will have to consider a level of censorship.

This will then be put to vote in the same way to decide what level and types of censorship we should have.

Best regards

Webmaster