Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

57 IN A 30 NASTY

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2002, 11:41 PM
prince
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JUST BEEN DONE WELL NOT QUITE ,JUST WANTED TO KNOW ANY TIPS OR TRICKS OF THE TRADE, ANY SOLICITORS OUT THIER WILLING TO GIVE FREE ADVISE .ANY ADVISE GRATEFULLY RECIVED.
Old 24 February 2002, 11:45 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Just over 4 years ago i got done for doing 64 in a 30 (im sure they were trackin the car in front) and managed to get away with 5or6 points (one or the other cos i got done again not long after) and abot £150 fine, i explained in court I was late picking the little un up from school.
Old 24 February 2002, 11:55 PM
prince
Scooby Newbie

THANKS BUD LETS HOPE THE JUDGE IS A GOOD ONE, I HAVE GOT A SOLICITOR WHO WANT TO CHARGE A ONE OF FEE OF £350, BUT DONT KNOW WETHER TO GO IT ALONE?
Old 24 February 2002, 11:58 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

eek, good luck!

I think that the rules of the game have changed somewhat now (what with speeding being so non-PC !).

I got done last September for 90mph in a 60mph zone! (A45 in Coventry, no traffic, good visibility, good weather etc). The police tried to do me for 90 in a 50 but I did my research with the highways agency... it was a 60 at the time, not a 50!

Anyway, I got 5 points and a £230 fine (after grovelling and doing the 'I'll loose my job' routine). From all accounts I got off really lightly.

Actually, one of my neighbors got done doing 70mph in a 30mph zone, at night and he overtook a police car ! What did he get? Same as me, 5 points and £230 fine. I think it all depends upon the magistrates on the day, the conditions, your job, how you present yourself etc.

Have you got any more details, like weather conditions, time, traffic volume, road surface conditions etc. Did you get pulled? Did they give you a producer? Did they read you your rights? Did you show them your license? etc etc.

ta,
Matt
Old 24 February 2002, 11:59 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Up to you, if it was me i'd go it alone, make sure you turn up and think of something good to say in your defence.
Old 25 February 2002, 12:03 AM
prince
Scooby Newbie

RADAR GUN POINTING STRAIGHT AT ME OUT THE BACK OF A BEAT UP CAVALIER MUST SAY GOT MY BEST SIDE.GOT THE SUMMONS THROUGHT THE POST BA****ARD.IT WAS PLACED 200YRDS OUT SIDE THE DEALERSHIP JUST HAD A DE CAT SYSTEM FITTED TO MY P1, SATURDAY MORNING NICE WEATHER ROAD CONDITIONS GOOD.
Old 25 February 2002, 12:10 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

hmm, I guess you could ask to see the calibration certificate for the gun etc, although that might hold little water and might make them think you are a smart-***!

Where was the Cavalier parked? If it was on the grass there is a good chance that it's 'not allowed' as they can't do it on 'private land' etc, must be the queens highway from all accounts.

If I was you I would get your best clobber ready, a letter from your employer and be prepared to grovel - good luck, I can't see them being easy-going because of the 30-zone thing! Oh, and get a solicitor, they speak in the same language as the magistrates and if anyone get reduce the problem they will.

Good luck dude...

Matt
Old 25 February 2002, 12:16 AM
prince
Scooby Newbie

THANKS MATT, POLISHED SHOES ALREADY?
Old 25 February 2002, 04:23 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Angry

I hope you get the maximum fine and points!@@#$!%^ [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Maybe that'll teach you to slow down!@$!@$@! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And turn off your CAPSLOCK!@$!#%&*!#%^* [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 February 2002, 08:39 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have to agree with Gerg2 - 57 in a 30 limit is taking the p1ss and you deserve all you get. If I can take my car out of town to enjoy it then so can you, and you can't expect any more sympathy just becuase you have a Subaru.

If you think the 30 limit was inappropriate for that stretch of road then why not join the ABD or write to the council?

Andy.
Old 25 February 2002, 10:13 AM
prince
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

gerg 2 whats that stand for gerbil go and spin on your wheel smuk
remember what goes around comes around
Old 25 February 2002, 12:58 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Angry

For f**ks sake, I can't believe the saddos who pile on here to pillary someone getting done for speeding - what a load of morally superior rubbish, you'll be supporting the government satellite monitoring ****e next!

you have no knowledge of the road, population density, time of day, conditions at the time etc so who the hell are you to judge? and no, I'm not bitter (clean licence touch wood) but openly admit that yes, m'lud, I do break the speed limit at times. We have a 2 mile long 30 zone near us that passes through open fields. Do I do 30 mph along it? do I buggery......

stop the sanctimonious ****e and let's inject a sense of realism into speed limits. the numpties who set them are not bright and often do so for pc reasons or 'cos some old biddy whinged to her grandson on the local council. Speed in and of itself does not kill - the road death statistics for the last 30 years show this, with the roughly the same number today as back in the 60s (even though there are x million more cars capable of going so much faster).

Rant over!
Gordo

Old 25 February 2002, 01:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Gordo,

I can't believe that a difference of opinion justifies that sort of personal abuse.

I don't believe for a moment that all speed limits are correct, reasonable or set for the right reasons. I did some advanced driver training with the IAM a few years ago, and nothing I learned then suggested that there was ever one single, fixed speed that was somehow the safe upper limit regardless of car and road conditions.

You're right that I don't know enough to make a judgment as to whether it was 'safe' to be doing 57 along the stretch of road in question. Nor do you, although in the absence of any more information you seem to assume that it was. That assumption is unjustified, IMHO.

I agree that a sense of 'realism' in speed limits is needed. Let them be justified by safety and not revenue - indeed, let them vary depending on the weather and the time of day. It's not like the technology to do this doesn't exist. In an ideal world there would be no legally enforced limits at all, and every driver would be trained to accurately judge a safe speed at all times.

Until that time, however, we do have laws on speed, and whilst I might have been sympathetic towards (say) being caught doing 40 in a 30 zone, 57 really is taking the p1ss. There are lots of laws I don't agree with, but that doesn't make them optional. Vote for the opposition, join the ABD or some other campaign group, but don't discredit yourself just because you don't like the law. Go on a track day instead, they're great fun.

Andy.

Old 25 February 2002, 02:57 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

i got caught doing 57 in a 30 back when i went to see the network q rally,sent off my form and the they sent me a letter back saying i got a £60 fine and 3 points and they wanted me to send in my license,result!

mike

ps dont know how i was caught,didnt see any flashes from gatsos so it might have been a mobile unit or plod behind a tree
Old 25 February 2002, 03:06 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Gatso Formaly known as prince

Ok point taken but you dont drive these cars if you want to go slow, you by them to drive them, ok I did speed but there is nothing to say i have to admit to doing 57mph in fact I no I was not.
I was speeding but not to an extent of saying f**k the law and anybody else on the road pavement verge or whatever.I drive because I enjoy it, not to put any one else in danger, I drive within my limitations not daft to the point of endangering life.
Funny thing 60 in a P1 feel like 30 maybe theres something in that?

Thanks for the support gents
Old 25 February 2002, 04:11 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Interesting - I made no judgement that the incident was acceptable, I was pointing out that the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade approach was not welcome. Prince had posted a question to elicit a response on how he might deal with the problem, not looking for a judgment from on high! A personal attack? Glad it was taken in the spirit it was meant.

Again one definitely for discussion elsewhere, but are people really convinced that issues as mundane as motoring policy affect the way people vote? and even if they do, given the blatant lack of adherence or accountability to party manifestos, does it make any difference anyway?

Good luck Prince, my P1 is very naughty off the lead as well....

Gordo
Old 25 February 2002, 06:20 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Gordo, your comments are welcomed.Had to change my user name ,went for something that would not affend?
Old 25 February 2002, 07:41 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Got done for 67 in a 30 couple years ago. 21 day ban and £100, but no points.

I suppose I'm worth a slagging as well from those that can't accept that people naturally on occasions get carried away or make a mistake. I learnt from my mistake but if you'd seen the road and the speed that other drivers where travelling as well (you make a nice easy target when you're in bright race leathers on a GSXR!),then perhaps people wouldn't rush to jump on the moral high ground!

DP.
Old 25 February 2002, 07:59 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

It's quite simple. You take the risks and you sometimes pay the price. I am by no means an angel, but I mostly keep my itchy trigger foot to the big, fast roads. There are a lot of roads where 30 may seem unnessary, but are 10 times more where there is a good reason for it.
Unfortunatly, you got caught doing nearly double the speed limit. Simple as that mate.

Sorry,

Nick
Old 25 February 2002, 09:45 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Still I do not know weather to go it alone or to inlist the help of a solicitor , whats the benifits apart from the obvious?
Old 25 February 2002, 10:38 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

If you don't want banning I'd get a Solicitor. Check the Legal Cover often included with your Insurance. When I got caught my Legal Cover paid for most of the £400 Solicitors bill - I just had to pay a £70 contribution.

If you need your car for your job, a letter from your employers may help.

As a guide a friend of a mate has just been caught doing 52 in a 30 - she got 6 points and £300 fine.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:46 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Ian that makes me feel better, good point about the insurance , keep the comments coming they are appreciated
Old 25 February 2002, 11:46 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

*sigh*
getting accused of standing on a soapbox, supporting satelite monitoring coz I expressed my opinion...whatever.

Sure you can cry all you want about speed limits being ridiculous and "I know the road...it's safe" etc. But speed limits are there for a reason...and they are also the law. Saying they are ridiculous is no excuse...I think some speed limits are to low also.

Prince/Gatso you say that Subarus are meant to be driven fast but I can drive any car 30 mph over the speed limit.
If you want to have fun with the toy then by all means go to a track day. I know it's a bummer and it sux to get a fine etc but I just think you should wear it. You have to be accountable for what you do...thats just my opinion.

What if someone sped up your street every single day at a ridiculous pace?
Then lets say...you pulled them over and had a word to them to slow down.
What would you do if the response was "What a load of cr@p...the speed limit is too low through here...it's safe to do 30 over the limit and besides my car is meant to be driven fast"

Hell why dont we all go for a drive after having a **** load of grog to drink...it's okay though coz we "dont feel drunk" and the "laws are cr@p" and satelite monitoring is looking at me the b@stards!

Anyway...good luck.

Old 25 February 2002, 11:56 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A couple of years ago I used to drive for a living and there must have been countless times that I went over the stated speed limit without realising, its not hard its easy in fact if you were so Law conscious as a car manufacturer you would goven your car to not exceed a stated speed limit, but they won't, its just you your right foot and that split second in which it takes to get your best side in focus.Everyone speeds its life, the problem is its the ones that do it less often in the wrong place that get stung. Ever heard of the saying it happens to the best of us?

[Edited by GATSO - 2/25/2002 11:58:03 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 11:58 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Maybe its being a parent that does it, but excessive speeding in a built up area deserves a ban. I don't know what the road was like, yeah some 30 zones don't warrant it, but in the whole the 30 limit is there for a good reason.
57 in a 30 is almost double the speed limit of that road.

I'm buying a WRX because I like fast cars and I like to drive fast, but, and its a big BUT, there is a time and a place for it... and in a 30mph limit is NOT the place to do it.

After all that, good luck in court, IMHO a solicitor can go against you as it could give the wrong impression in court. Better to go in, grovel to the court, explain it was a momentary lapse that caused the speeding, by all means say your speedo was showing 40ish and question the claimed speed of 57, have a letter from work stating your job is on the line etc. Oh yeah, you could always try the one about the non standard wheels that were on the car when you bought it, and that you have since had it checked on a rolling road and found the sppedo to be way out, so you have changed the wheels to the correct size etc...it worked for a mate of mine who go caught doing 115mph on an empty motorway,claimed his speedo showed 90-95, he got a sp50 3 points an £100 fine!

BOB
Old 26 February 2002, 12:11 AM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Question

The shoe does fit and I am definately wearing it , but let me say that thirty is a very sensible and law abiding speed. I dont get up every morning and say to myself I am going to speed today in a 30 zone because I am a nutter ok I should no better but hey me and countless others dont brake from 60 to 30 in under 2 seconds entering a 30 zone( 30 in the first tense being hipathetical?).I am sorry but life in England is getting to be so boring and proper.
Sorry have I said something that I should not have again.
Old 26 February 2002, 11:57 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Go it alone, swallow your pride and be humble and remorseful. The magistrates prefer it that way. Take along photographs of the road, so they can see how wide and clear it is, and so how easy it was to do 57mph. Prepare a statement to read out in court, and tell them how much you regret offending etc etc.

I was in court 3 weeks ago for 60 in a 30 (dual carriageway, no pedestrians) and did just that. Got 3 points and smallish fine - doubt a solicitor could have done any better.
Old 27 February 2002, 12:26 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Thanks APJ your comments recived with thanks.Did you drive to court etc?