FA Verdict on Bowyer - Scandalous !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 10:59 AM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Guys'n'Gals,

Suppose you've all heard the FA verdict on Mr Bowyer !!

Why do the FA think they have a right to try and stop Bowyer being picked for the World Cup because of the massivly over-hyped court case !?! THE BLOKE HAS BEEN PROVEN INNOCENT !!! He was fined by his club and has had to bear the brunt of mostly sh1te press coverage for nearly 2 years !! Can he not be left to get on with playing football !?! I don't agree with what happened but he did have to go through an awful lot to say he was proven innocent at the end of it !!

They pretend that they are penalising him for incidents with McAllister and the ever-useless Jeff Winter... so why does he get 3 match bans for each offence ?! Why did Mills only get 2 matches for the same offence ?! How many will Henry get for his theatrics ?! Not many ! Will Le Saux get anything for his horror tackle on Danny Mills at Elland Road last October ? How about Nicky Butt's nose job on Bowyer at Old Trafford ? Why doesn't Roy Keane get three matches for every time a foul goes against him ?!!

I don't want to sound like some whinger going on about poor old Leeds etc.. but to me the FA have now set a precident and should penalise anyone for any incidents caught on camera. If they are going to do this fairly (doubtful) they will be very busy indeed !!!

Quite rightly, the FA should try and eradicate this kind of behaviour from the game but no-one can deny that Leeds are a marked team and are treated more severely than most !!

What do you all think !?!

Rant over...

John
Old 06 February 2002, 11:12 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep, seejay has it right. This latest ban has nothing to do with the off field incident.
Old 06 February 2002, 11:30 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think the FA are clamping down and are using some high profile players as examples. Bowyer is not innocent of the incidents he's been banned for. He was out of line and should be repremanded for it. They may have gone OTT.

I do think the FA are against Bowyer and are trying to scupper his world cup chances but at the end of the day Mr Erricson may well go over their heads and pick him anyway. I hope he doesn't, there are better player available.

Cheers

Guy (NOT a Leeds fan)
Old 06 February 2002, 12:48 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Dirty, Dirty Leeds, Dirty, Dirty Leeds etc etc

Seriously though, I dont think the FA would try to scupper his world cup chances as they are also the FA's world cup chances. I think every football fan in the land (except Leeds obviously) will look and say 'Well, come on, he deserves it doesnt he ?'.

Ericksson will take him anyway.
Old 06 February 2002, 02:01 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

If you actually look at the stats Arsenal are far and away a dirtier club than Leeds.

Stats don't lie in my opinion.

P.S - I'm not a football supporter (I support Stirling Albion!)

Gamm
Old 06 February 2002, 03:57 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

>Stats don't lie in my opinion.

Never heard of lies, damn lies and statistics, then?

Old 06 February 2002, 04:29 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Old 06 February 2002, 04:35 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes , Devils but that's only true 12% of the time.

Altogether now , "Boring, Boring scousers"

Come on Stirling Albion - only 7 points off promotion!

Gamm.
Old 06 February 2002, 07:29 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

Morman/Guys,

How could every football fan in the land say Bowyer deserves it - after all he's been through !?! Surely there's a large point being missed there - He was proven innocent in a court of law !! No matter what people (and the fa99ots at the Daily Mirror) may think of him - INNOCENT !! Why should anyone be penalised if they have been proven to by not guilty ?!! He been bagged by the media/press solidly for nearly 2 years and fined heavily by his club, what more does he deserve ?!?

With regards to the FA decisions..It will be interesting to see what other high profile players get/don't get !! Stats don't lie, I agree - but some teams don't get players booked in the first place !! It seems that officials at some grounds get given those special Wenger-blinkers before each game.... but that's another story.

I agree that some Leeds players have silly attitudes (its really annoying when Smithy gets himself sent off and costs us the game) and they do deserve to be repremanded for it, but they seem to get harsher treatment than others. (Henry will get a game or two for his silly carryings on that were far worse that Bowyers swearing fit at the ref - you'll see !!)

The FA clearly do not want the likes of Woodgate and Bowyer to go to Japan if they can help it. They feel that it would bring them stick if they were to travel to Japan and potentially come home as world cup heroes. Fact !! This is their way of seeing that they don't go !!

I really think that there are so many incidents missed by the officials (they are only human !!) that if the FA are to pull up certain cases here and there, they should pull up EVERY UNTOWARD incident picked up on camera and penalise players for it, otherwise it simply isn't fair. If they were to do this properly then nearly every Premiership player would be pulled up at some point and eventually they would be all serving bans !! It just wouldn't work !!

Off the soapbox again now...

John

p.s. Where are all the Leeds fans to help me out here !?!
Old 06 February 2002, 07:32 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

The geezer is a thug!

He once smashed up a Mcdonalds in London, and used the classic line "do you know who I am!". lol

For that alone he should have been locked up for 30 years. Unexcusable, tut, tut!
Old 06 February 2002, 07:39 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

so are you saying guilty people are never found innoncent ? we all know what he and his mates done.

The bottom line is he is playing very badly at the momnet also admitted by most Leeds fans, playing for England is not a right.

Beckham, scholes and Gerard is the midfield 3 unless he wants to play out on the left.

Also his 6 match ban is justified, why on earth should he be able to say what we all saw to the ref and get away with it.

I bet he would not talk like that to the fat **** ( his words not mine ) like that in the pub as he may be laid out.

both Leeds and Arsenal DO have a problem , sorry but thats a fact.
Old 07 February 2002, 08:51 AM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

Totally agree. Both have a problem. 6 games is harsh though.
Old 07 February 2002, 08:59 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Being a leeds supporter I am horrified at the 6 match ban, as a football fan 3 would have been sufficient.
Old 07 February 2002, 09:04 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

ppl who smash up mcDonalds should be given a medal

I think Lee would stuggle to get in the squad atm anyway... we have a strong midfield & attack... less said about our defence the better

I thought he was found guilty but only got comunity service? just because a crown court finds you innocent doesn't mean your innocent either and equally if it finds you guilty it doesn't mean your guilty.

the laws an ***, and so am i
Old 07 February 2002, 09:18 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Possibly as it was Woodgate that got convicted and Bowyer cleared
Old 07 February 2002, 09:27 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

How could every football fan in the land say Bowyer deserves it - after all he's been through !?! Surely there's a large point being missed there - He was proven innocent in a court of law !! No matter what people (and the fa99ots at the Daily Mirror) may think of him - INNOCENT !! Why should anyone be penalised if they have been proven to by not guilty
Jeez mate, pay attention. The ban has nothing to do with the court case incident. He got a 3 game ban for elbowing Gary McAllister and another 3 game ban for foul and abusive language towards a referee. Just because he was found innocent in court doesn't mean he can go around breaking football rules without punishment!
Old 07 February 2002, 12:43 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Disco,

You are missing the point m8 !!!!!!

Just compare what Bowyer got (3+3 game ban) to what others got/will get !! (Thierry Henry etc..) The FA do not want either Bowyer or Woody to play for England in the World Cup. By banning him for 6 games they know he will not have chance to prove himself by playing well in the league or playing in the forthcoming friendlies (won't get picked for them 'cos he aint playing)...

Why did the FA decide to wait until the end of the court case before issuing a ban for the McAllister incident last season ? Hmmm... stinks !!

There are clearly mixed feelings in the FA about the verdict of the court case and some of their bods want to do their bit to see that the two Leeds players don't go to Japan. This is the only way they can do it !!

Have to agree that he isn't playing well at tho mo... he isn't fully match fit though.. Becks, Scholes and Gerrard are great players and should be picked, but I suppose we need cover for Gerrard for when he limps off before the 90 mins is up !!

You have to agree that when fit and playing well, Bowyer (thug or no thug) is one of the finest mid-fielders in the country !!

I know what you are saying about the offences being soley for the two incidents, but there is more to it than that !!

Bored now..

John
Old 07 February 2002, 12:46 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

Agreed.
Old 02 June 2002, 11:09 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Jerry,
You do sound like a whinger going on about Leeds
As I read it, Bowyer got 3 + 3 for separate incidents (elbowing McAllister then abusing Winter who was reffing the game) and Mills got 2 (for abusing D'Urso who was a 4th official). So there is a distinction. As for Leeds being a "marked team" surely that's a bit of paranoia brought on by the bad publicity the club have had, most of it self-inflicted - Bowyer & Woodgate, Duberry, Smith's general petulance, these incidents and the outstanding ones with Viduka and Smith, O'Leary's book.....need I go on. I suspect that the timing is unfortunate after the Carragher incident and that there will be a general clampdown which will hurt more those teams who have the worst disciplinary records. Look at the Opta stats and Arsenal and Leeds are up there.

Just looked at the stats - Arsenal 1st, Leeds 3rd

[Edited by seejay555 - 2/6/2002 11:18:00 AM]
Old 02 June 2002, 11:09 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I'm not really being a football fan but if this is the case then Bowyer should take them to court and sue the ar$e off the FA, claiming lost revenue from sponorship deals etc as a result of not being available for the World Cup. When they lose and have to shell out millions they will think twice about interferring with players who have been found not guilty. To me it is out and out Discrimination.

Damian.

[Edited by SPEN555 - 2/6/2002 11:11:15 AM]
Old 02 July 2002, 09:00 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

dp

[Edited by sammyh - 2/7/2002 9:01:06 AM]