Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default food for thought...

BBC NEWS | UK | Halal and Kosher slaughter 'must end'
Old 16 April 2008, 09:17 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

About time. However, I'm more interested in how the animals are reared and cared for and would accept non-intensive methods with slaughter by Kosher methods rather than factory farms and stunning.

Look at the ad at the bottom of the page!

Steve
Old 16 April 2008, 09:21 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

ROFL, yet battery farms and transport trucks are fine. Careful what you support, fishing will be banned next.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:23 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

what is the add, it's blocked from work.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:24 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

also see this..

Sheffield Forum - Halal meat in schools
Old 16 April 2008, 09:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole eating meat thing carries some baggage, even for non Kosher/Halal method's, I personally have always thought it Barbaric, whatever way its done, but particularly so by the Halal method, but because it has been mentioned in the Bible and Koran 2000 years ago its the only way it can be done, for ever, however cruel it may be.

thats my major problem with religion, because someone said it 2000 plus years ago it must be right, yeah cos everything said and done in the past was right, Hitler, Witch Hunts and Medieval medicine, all bang on cos its old.

Religion hinders us evolving and improving as a species, its simple a control for the stupid, gullible, unimaginative and those who seek to control others, or possibly those with an axe to grind looking for something to hide behind ?
Old 16 April 2008, 09:50 PM
Lisawrx

I'm sorry but I don't totally see the issue here. I would imagine after the length of time the Jews and Muslims have been carrying out this type of slaughter, they would be pretty good at it, and cause as little suffering as possible. TBH, I have neither witnessed their way of slaughter or ours, so I couldn't comment on which is 'worse'. I'm not being funny, but it's not like any animal can comment on which method is better for them, so I find it hard to believe any person can.

Is the problem really with the method though, or who is doing it?
Old 16 April 2008, 09:53 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm sorry but I don't totally see the issue here. I would imagine after the length of time the Jews and Muslims have been carrying out this type of slaughter, they would be pretty good at it, and cause as little suffering as possible. TBH, I have neither witnessed their way of slaughter or ours, so I couldn't comment on which is 'worse'. I'm not being funny, but it's not like any animal can comment on which method is better for them, so I find it hard to believe any person can.

Is the problem really with the method though, or who is doing it?
That's like saying we should have stuck with the model t-ford, the b&w tv.
Old 16 April 2008, 09:57 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

You should see how barbaric and inhumane way KFC treat their chickens, I'm not agreeing with the way Halal and Kosher slaughter is done because I don't but the way KFC chooks are treated is beyond belief

Have a look for yourself YouTube - KFC Cruelty

Last edited by Tam the bam; 16 April 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:00 PM
Lisawrx

Not really, we have our way of doing things, others have theirs, for their reasons. I for one understand that. If something was so out of order I would most likely agree there was a problem, but I couldn't prove one way or another whether this is more cruel than any other way of slaughtering animals.

As I've said we have our way of behaving, what's to say we're always right? I just think more often than not, the issue ends up being with who, rather than what. Only imo.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

KFC is horrible anyway.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:04 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by J4CKO
KFC is horrible anyway.
I agree but some love it and probably have no idea what happens to the bird before they eat it, see the link I added to my previous post
Old 16 April 2008, 10:05 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Not really, we have our way of doing things, others have theirs, for their reasons. I for one understand that. If something was so out of order I would most likely agree there was a problem, but I couldn't prove one way or another whether this is more cruel than any other way of slaughtering animals.

As I've said we have our way of behaving, what's to say we're always right? I just think more often than not, the issue ends up being with who, rather than what. Only imo.
So why should our schools be forced into using halal meats?
Old 16 April 2008, 10:08 PM
Lisawrx

Never said they should be, maybe the fair option, when there is a mix of students, is to offer both, and everyone is served. I don't believe in favouring one person over another.
Old 16 April 2008, 10:17 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW My wife automatically got a halal menu when giving birth to our second because of the 'foreign' surname. She told them where to go with it in no uncertain terms and demanded they serve pork for her evening meal instead.

Another hospital in Holland is now offering Halal baby milk too. I've no idea how that works.
nu.nl/wetenschap | Halal babyvoeding in ziekenhuis Amsterdam

Maybe its time to leave?
Old 16 April 2008, 10:21 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
FWIW My wife automatically got a halal menu when giving birth to our second because of the 'foreign' surname. She told them where to go with it in no uncertain terms and demanded they serve pork for her evening meal instead.

Another hospital in Holland is now offering Halal baby milk too. I've no idea how that works.
nu.nl/wetenschap | Halal babyvoeding in ziekenhuis Amsterdam

Maybe its time to leave?
thats terrible!
Old 17 April 2008, 10:21 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Never said they should be, maybe the fair option, when there is a mix of students, is to offer both, and everyone is served. I don't believe in favouring one person over another.
Precisely.
Originally Posted by Suresh
Maybe its time to leave?
Why?
Old 17 April 2008, 10:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
The whole eating meat thing carries some baggage, even for non Kosher/Halal method's, I personally have always thought it Barbaric, whatever way its done, but particularly so by the Halal method, but because it has been mentioned in the Bible and Koran 2000 years ago its the only way it can be done, for ever, however cruel it may be.

thats my major problem with religion, because someone said it 2000 plus years ago it must be right, yeah cos everything said and done in the past was right, Hitler, Witch Hunts and Medieval medicine, all bang on cos its old.

Religion hinders us evolving and improving as a species, its simple a control for the stupid, gullible, unimaginative and those who seek to control others, or possibly those with an axe to grind looking for something to hide behind ?
Do you feel the same way about the government J4CKO, or don't you mind about them seeking absolute control over our lives?

Religions don't seek so much to control you as to offer you a good way to lead your life. I think what you said is an exaggeration. Fundamentalism is a completely different affair.

Les
Old 17 April 2008, 01:55 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

for the ignorant amongst us why is halal meat or kosher meat healthier? and why does slitting its throat and not stunning it make a difference?

Why can't they stun it then slit its throat if that is how they want to kill it??
Old 17 April 2008, 02:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

It's the thin end of the wedge. Next we'll be told that animal slaughter causes global warming and we should all go vegetarian...
Old 17 April 2008, 03:12 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
It's the thin end of the wedge. Next we'll be told that animal slaughter causes global warming and we should all go vegetarian...
Some greenies are already saying that as cows produce rather a bit of methane and eat rather a lot of grain which needs rather a lot of fertilizer!

Steve
Old 17 April 2008, 03:33 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Because that would be far too sensible

Last edited by Norman D. Landing; 17 April 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Edited to point at post 19