Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fitted ScoobySport backbox now going deaf!

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 1999, 12:08 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi there,

Just a thought... Make sure the nuts and bolts on the flanges are tight - just incase the exhaust might be leaking and blowing underneath the car.

J.
Old 06 September 1999, 12:16 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a ScoobySport backbox fitted to my UK 5 door and unless you have the window open you really dont notice it.

However....if you drive with the tailgate open slightly (while carrying long objects for instance!) the noise is awesome but would be a pain after a long journey.
Old 06 September 1999, 10:29 AM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

I got a ScoobySport exhaust fitted to my STI V Wagon last week which is so loud (inside the car) that after a long journey my ears hurt!
I knew this exhaust was a touch on the load side but I didn't realise it would be like someone sitting behind you playing a tuba!
I think the problem is exaggerated by having a 5 door which is always noisier. Is this normal for these exhausts? and does this mean that in 10 years time there will be lots of deaf former scooby owners?

Speak Up!!

JohnT
Old 06 September 1999, 10:37 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Wink

You must have accutely sensitive ears or are just an old fart!
Old 06 September 1999, 11:09 AM
Guy Humpage
Scooby Regular

If anything my Scoobysport exhaust is too quiet

I find the noise is lessened by having the luggage area blind closed (do STi's have these?) and on long journeys so far I've always had a couple of bags in the boot which also helps.

But then I'm Mr Sensible and cruise at 80.
Old 06 September 1999, 11:49 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Question

... and I'm getting mine fitted this week on my MY97 Uk Turbo. I *thought* that in-car noise levels were barely changed!?

Maybe the change is more noticeable on a STI car (different exhaust system?)

I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it!

Andrew
Old 06 September 1999, 11:53 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The 5 doors tend to suffer a bit more from noise due to the fact you have that massive load area behind you with no barriers, acts like a huge resonator. Some people have mentioned in the past using acoustimat or other materials to lower the noise in the back. I am not sure how succesful they were though. My 4 door has barely changed noise levels inside.
Old 07 September 1999, 12:56 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

I took the SS backbox of my UK car and stuck it on my STi. It's not louder but it is deeper than the UK setup.
Do STi's only have 1 cat?
If you get rid, I don't think you'll find a suitable replacement. Most of the others I've seen, heard are more intrusive.
Your only bet maybe someone like Jetex etc.
Or have you got a dodgy box?
I have to say, the SS backbox is the only thing I'd never change.
Old 07 September 1999, 01:04 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Cool

Close the windows or buy a coupe

Personally when the weather is cool enough I drive with the windows down and air con off!
Old 07 September 1999, 10:35 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Yeah I just got a ScoobySport on last Friday. Top stuff! Yes it's loud (a friend of mine could hear it at least 1/2 mile away from his flat) but so what? Well worth the cost I'd say. Best bit is, my insurance company reckoned that the backbox on its own wouldn't cost me any extra!
Old 07 September 1999, 11:05 AM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

The noise from the ScoobySport exhaust inside the car is much louder than the standard exhaust, especially cruising at about 3500rpm on the motorway. The sound seems to resonate and amplify when revs are dropping slowly.
Do STI V Wagons have less sound proofing than UK MY99s? (no jokes about putting sheep in the back to absorb the sound please !)

If I can't get this sorted someone will be getting a very cheap Scooby backbox.

JohnT

Old 07 September 1999, 11:54 AM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

I've tried two exhausts, APEXi which was mega loud, and Tanabe G Power + downpipe which is quieter but still loud. Think it's just a characteristic of STi's, other cars with these same exhausts are much quieter (e.g. SupraTT)

Actually, I find that opening the windows makes it sound quieter, at least not quite as brumbrumbrumbrumbrum in your face loud.
Old 07 September 1999, 01:06 PM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

Wink

CraigH is right, the STI does sound deeper than an UK MY99. I still think it's too load at low revs, however the consensus from my mates is that I'm in fact an old fart and that I should buy a Volvo!
So thanks for the replies, I'm off to book my holiday to Eastbourne.
Old 07 September 1999, 01:42 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

I'm half German - of course I'm right!
Old 07 September 1999, 02:05 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

JohnT

Don't go to Eastbourne for your holidays - I spend most of my time there and I've got a ScoobySport!
Old 07 September 1999, 02:18 PM
Guy Humpage
Scooby Regular

I think it all depends on what level of vehicle noise you are used to, I used to have a Mini Cooper with an RC40 exhaust and that was loud ie. you had to shout at your passengers to be heard.

Most modern cars are so quiet so can't hear the engine, I once got into the passenger seat of a colleagues new style Astra and sat for five minutes reading the paper whilst parked and didn't realise the engine was running.

Would the exhaust quietten down with time once it has 'run in'? (Apologies if this a silly question)
Old 08 September 1999, 10:16 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

I find the Scooby Sport exhaust tail pipe a very useful marker for IWOC/SIDC/BBS connoisseurs!

Approaching slowly from behind with ones eyes fixed on their pipe is the best way to judge whether you will fell a complete pratt for waving and enjoying the Scooby experience or leave with a warm glow

All Scooby Sporters have been friendly "vietnamese shelter/bake bin can sized pipe merchants" have not!
Old 09 September 1999, 08:50 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

... and then you can ask them if it's a ScoobySport when you crash into the back of them after failing to notice the brake light come on!
Old 09 September 1999, 01:05 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

I think some exhausts do take a while to settle down when first fitted. The standard fit exhaust on my previous car (220gti) was louder than the one with a hole in that it replaced. It took a good month of use before it quietened down to normal levels.

I am quite impressed by the rortyness of my STis exhaust - sounds great at low revs around car parks (rumble rumble) and is quiet on the motorway. Great.