Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hit + Run today

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2008, 06:57 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit + Run today

Out in the works van this afternoon some pillock in a truck (quarry type of truck) decided to undertake me when 2 lanes went into 1 (left merged into right lane) which resulted in him scraping the n/s/r of my van.
I pulled over when it was safe to do so (100yds later) and he overtook me and drove off!!!!!!

I got his number but as traffic was busy couldn't give chase so phoned work and told them what happened.

When i did set off i spotted 2 police traffic officers walking towards me so stopped and told them what had happened hoping they'd take a statement or radio for and police cars in the area to stop the truck if they saw it.
All i got was something along the lines of "it might say traffic on our badges but this isn't anything to do with us - here's a number for non emergancies you can ring"???????????

I was gobsmacked, i said it has to be hit and run or failing to stop at scene of an accident which are both an offence but they didn't want to do anything

Why employ 2 of them to stroll down the streets in nice uniforms when they don't do anything when an offence has been commited?

I now have to go to local plod shop tommorow and report it to them - probably just get a crime number

Different matter if i'd have been spotted speeding, on the mobile or eating a chockie bar whilst driving !!!!!!!
Old 02 April 2008, 07:13 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's shocking.

I would take the time to write in a complaint to the Chief Constable.
Old 02 April 2008, 07:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I would hazzard a guess the truck never felt a thing TBH they usually don't, but it is shocking that the police didn't help you.
Old 02 April 2008, 07:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I dont agree with their attitude, but failing to report an accident is the offence, of which they have 24 hours to report it. Not stopping at an accident where no one is injured is not I believe an offence in itself.

But at the same time there is so much focus on police doing paperwork other officers and civi's could be doing, I guess they are that way inclined now.
Old 03 April 2008, 06:20 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I would hazzard a guess the truck never felt a thing TBH they usually don't, but it is shocking that the police didn't help you.
impossible for him not to know as his cab must have been 3/4 the way down my van and from marks left high up his mirror must have been bent to his window.

well went to police station this morning to report the accident and it turns out the reg number doesn't exist?
the policeman altered a few digits to see if i was 1 out and nothing came close which i guess is why the driver never stopped - are lorries now using false plates?????????????
Old 03 April 2008, 06:25 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You won't get a crime number because it's not a crime.

Police will write to the registered keeper (once you've filled out the relevant form) to find who the driver was and it's up to you to then prove the other driver was at fault, which is nigh on impossible unless you have an idependent witness.

Crap, I know. But that's the way these things work. It's an insurance job.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 03 April 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 08:57 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

all i got was a reference number (is this a crime number?)

as the plate doesn't exist then i guess it means our company pays for the damage and takes it out of my monthly bonus
Old 03 April 2008, 09:04 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You'll have got a number relating to your report, not a crime number.

At least it's not your own motor.
Old 04 April 2008, 04:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the damage to the van and I am very unimpressed at the attitude of those coppers. It is part of their job to assist the public where necessary and I think their treatment of you left a lot to be desired.

As was mentioned above, I would also be inclined to write directly to the Chief Constable. He should be left in no doubt that success in policing depends a great deal on the relationship between the police and the public, and this is no way to maintain that.

Les
Old 04 April 2008, 05:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Out in the works van this afternoon some pillock in a truck (quarry type of truck) decided to undertake me when 2 lanes went into 1 (left merged into right lane) which resulted in him scraping the n/s/r of my van.
I pulled over when it was safe to do so (100yds later) and he overtook me and drove off!!!!!!

I got his number but as traffic was busy couldn't give chase so phoned work and told them what happened.

When i did set off i spotted 2 police traffic officers walking towards me so stopped and told them what had happened hoping they'd take a statement or radio for and police cars in the area to stop the truck if they saw it.
All i got was something along the lines of "it might say traffic on our badges but this isn't anything to do with us - here's a number for non emergancies you can ring"???????????

I was gobsmacked, i said it has to be hit and run or failing to stop at scene of an accident which are both an offence but they didn't want to do anything

Why employ 2 of them to stroll down the streets in nice uniforms when they don't do anything when an offence has been commited?

I now have to go to local plod shop tommorow and report it to them - probably just get a crime number

Different matter if i'd have been spotted speeding, on the mobile or eating a chockie bar whilst driving !!!!!!!
I had similar a few years back. luckily i had a witness who stopped and gacve me his details. He got the truck number and name on the side of the truck.

The driver denied it all, only way i was able to claim was because i had a witness/good samaritan to help out.

Good luck bbut if this clow denies it then you are pretty fecked i'm afraid.

The police should take an interest. If this chaps drove of then maybe he has not got a licence/suspeneded truck not legal or insured, etc.