Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Youth crime... what can we do about it?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2008, 11:13 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youth crime... what can we do about it?

Garry Newlove | Murdered by thug | On bail for another attack | The Sun |HomePage|News|Sun Justice

Following yet another attack, what can actually be done to stop this type of thing happening?

I stopped on the way home last night at the local shops.... it was dark and right next to where I parked were 6-7 lads and about 3 girls... average age 16 I guess.... they were all shouting and swearing to each other (even though they were standing next to each other!) and bragging how they been arrested for something earlier...

When I came back, a couple of kids ran up to them from the local supermarket (they were about 12 yrs old) with a crate of beers.... they all laughed then ran off......

I've been in the store and watched while little kids walk in and in front of anyone take what they want and leave..... The store workers don't want trouble so just leave them to it....

BTW, there's a police stn 100 metres from there...

What can we do to stop this?
Old 17 January 2008, 11:18 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

We have a problem with kids hanging around our local shops. I doubt they're up to no good, but they can be intimidating, especially to the older generation. The worst they're doing is drinking a can of lager between the 15 of them! (We live in a fairly nice area!)

Anyway, the other night, went up to the shops expecting them to be up there and lo and behold, they was no sign of them! I wandered into the shop and standing there, having a chat with someone was a PCSO. He said good evening to me and I said good evening back.

Was it a coincidence the kids weren't there?
Old 17 January 2008, 11:19 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop bailing persons accused of violent crimes for a start.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:20 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Oh and the husband's idea is the build prison ships if the Government won't build any more on land.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:23 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

What makes me laugh is if Mr Newlove had defended himself with say a weapon and given them a good hiding (which they probably deserved) the media would be reporting a very different story..

"Three youths attacked by crazed familly man!"

With a sob story interview from their mum's on how they are good kids really and didnt deserve such a beating"..

And we'd all be thinking what a *******.. And Mr Newlove would be alive but in prison.

GOD I hate the media and our Judicial system.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:23 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Problem is kids think nothing of giving someone a "kicking"

The legal system couldn't cope with arresting/convicting them.....

Somewhere these kids have decided this type of behaviour is cool or fun..... who is there role model?

I find it hard to understand as this type of thing never happened when i was young?
Old 17 January 2008, 11:25 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

First offence, cut off their left hand. They'll soon get the message.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:25 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
What makes me laugh is if Mr Newlove had defended himself with say a weapon and given them a good hiding (which they probably deserved) the media would be reporting a very different story..

"Three youths attacked by crazed familly man!"

With a sob story interview from their mum's on how they are good kids really and didnt deserve such a beating"..

And we'd all be thinking what a *******.. And Mr Newlove would be alive but in prison.

GOD I hate the media and our Judicial system.

It's nothing to do with the reporting really......

If the kids were at home or at a club etc... the situation wouldn't have happened
Old 17 January 2008, 11:26 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

And lets not forget the Majority of 'kids hanging out' are harmless, they may seem intimidating but they are just loud kids..

I'm no Police officer but I will bet my entire lifes fortunes that these lads have previous and have been treated very leaniently in the past by the police and judicial system which enhances their lack of respect for the law.. Yet again this goes back to the liberal sandal wearing folk who dont believe people should be punished.
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

No open prisons, no commuted sentences, hard labour,electronic tags that are monitored properly and shock the wearer if they aren't in the correct place.

Make prisons worse then hell.

The main problem with punishment is the European Court of Human Rights, if someone does like what is happening to them they can just whinge to them (i'm sure it does good things but you'll only remember it for the crap decisons)
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bibo_boy
It's nothing to do with the reporting really......

If the kids were at home or at a club etc... the situation wouldn't have happened

But those sort of lads wouldnt be at home or in a club would that they are damaged goods!
Old 17 January 2008, 11:33 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

I think there has to be some more parental responsibility. These thugs aren't born like this, they get away with being unpunished from early on and it just escalates.

Start to punish the parents as well as the youth's and maybe there would be some more control.
Old 17 January 2008, 11:35 AM
Bar-Humbug!
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...hing-done.html

Hvae a look at this and read through Helen Newloves ststement she made yesterday - she said it all and with great dignity.
Please read it is moving, makes some very valid points and well worth the time
Old 17 January 2008, 11:36 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Oh and the husband's idea is the build prison ships if the Government won't build any more on land.
They were proposing that in 2006 - BBC NEWS | UK | Home Office plans floating jails
Old 17 January 2008, 11:39 AM
superscoobx
Scooby Regular

7pm, under 18's in the house. Unless out with parents etc etc.

no ifs no but's.

Would cut underage drinking, cut crime etc.

Ry for MP.....whooooooo hoooooo
Old 17 January 2008, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Mrs Newlove's atatement is movimg and also her points were valid of course.

I think the first reason for these problems is that there so many selfish parents who do not bring their children up correctly to respect authority or other people any more. If we want to live in a well ordered civilised society then those precepts are absolutely necessary. As ever the problem will get worse as the generations progress. We will eventually need 10 foot electrified fences around our houses for our own protection.

The authorites are also very much to blame in the way they have dragged this counry down to gutter level as far as moral behaviour is concerned and also their PC approach to punishment of offending criminals.

They have allowed the prisons to become overcrowded and therefore release criminals early into society so thay just laugh behind their hands and do it all over again!

We need some real punishment to start to straighten these young thugs out. I would not think it is going too far to have public floggings in order to embarass them as much as possible and to hurt enough to be worth avoiding in the future.

About time that prison sentences with hard labour was brought back as well. The rehabilitation syndrome is just not working!

Les
Old 17 January 2008, 12:17 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

So back to my original question.....

What can we actually do.....?

i.e. what can we do that will have an effect?
Old 17 January 2008, 12:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They are intimidating but you cant show any fear or agression, and if it comes down to it, pick on one and make it count !

Most of the problem is, that anybody can breed, they very carefully screen people for Adoption but any pair of pond scum with different genitals can get together and reproduce. Generally, kids from decent homes dont do this kind of stuff.
Old 17 January 2008, 12:27 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
They are intimidating but you cant show any fear or agression, and if it comes down to it, pick on one and make it count !

Most of the problem is, that anybody can breed, they very carefully screen people for Adoption but any pair of pond scum with different genitals can get together and reproduce. Generally, kids from decent homes dont do this kind of stuff.
what if I go back to where I saw this gang last night and this time attempt to walk through and pass the area they are blocking.... then when one of them swears then pushes me, I'll plant one on him?

Will there be any come back?
Old 17 January 2008, 12:30 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I'm not so sure that the thing to do is blame the parents every time. I'm sure that the way kids are brought up has an effect, but I know of a few families where one of the children is totally out of control yet the others are a joy. If it was easy then I suppose that the reason would be obvious, sadly its not.

Its time though that people shouldnt be persecuted or prosecuted for giving them a clip round the ear.
Old 17 January 2008, 12:32 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

I'm tempted to test the system ........
Old 17 January 2008, 12:43 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

I think you have to look at everything closely.

There have always been bad parents. Yet we only now (last 10 years) see an increase in very very bad behaviour amoungst youths.

so whats chaged?

The internet? Video games? Movies? (i saw a Cert15 the other day, that had more violence in than most Cert18's back from the 1990's) Music?

Also the lack of respect they have, not just to the Law, but to their teachers.

I think training a child starts at home with the parents, and if the parents are not capable then the techers should enforce it when they get to school. Now there are so many rules, if a teachers looks at a student funny they loose their job. I think if they bring back the cane, all would be well.

Parents first.

Teachers second.

National service thrid?
Old 17 January 2008, 12:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Introduce public flogging or similar public humiliating form of punishment.
* The identities of the offenders should be made public regardless of age.
* Punish/fine irresponsible parents.
* Repeat offenders, sent to hard labour boot camps (non of this soft community service stuff!) like breaking rocks at a quarry with a pickaxe (pointless, boring and mundane) etc, with no luxuries like hot food regardless of weather.
*Schools to educate instill respect and discipline, and should not be penalised for punishing a pupil.

Tags and asbos do nothing and the yobs treat them like trophies/"badge of honour". Who knows what sort person they would be like when they are adults.

If they kill someone, they should be treating like any other murder, age should not come into it, and if it;s life in prision, then its life! and not let out in a few years time and definitely not have their identities hidden and relocated to some other country (James Bulger case). Liberalism for these yobs had its chance and is clearly not working.

Last edited by jonc; 17 January 2008 at 12:57 PM.