Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sat-nav ‘jammer’ ...

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 01:48 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already are illegal under the Wireless Telegraphy Act as they are an unlicensed transmitter.
Old 08 August 2007, 02:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

you could reek havoc with one of those
Old 08 August 2007, 02:21 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Not saying I agree with road pricing..

but what your saying is that indiscriminately jamming GPS and GSM signals just to save you a few pence per mile is okay?

As for only criminals using them, these things would stick out like a sore thumb to anyone with some pretty simple bits of equipment - it would be like having a giant beacon with "I AM A ******" in flashing neon over your car.
Old 08 August 2007, 02:53 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Wide band jamming is well monitored and if you start playing with a jammer you are risking a lot of trouble. To start with anyone playing with this kind of kit anywhere near a military installation is risking the men in suits paying a visit..

Next on the hit list will be OFCOM, they will be looking for you too.
Old 08 August 2007, 02:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
But as long as they intend to introduce measures like road pricing then the crims will find ways around it.

Dave
And otherwise law abiding citizens may be rather clumsy about how they pack away lump hammers in the boot of the car, or lead flashing for example.
Old 08 August 2007, 06:04 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

My argument isn't for or against Road Pricing. My argument is against wreckless and irresponsible illegal transmissions.

There is are very good reasons why such things are illegal. Do you have tracker fitted to your vehicle? Do you think that such a jammer would only jam the GSM in the black box and leave the good sim in your tracker, or for that matter, your normal mobile phone, alone?

Do you think the GPS jamming would only effect the black box and leave your tomtom working away happily?

Do you think such a device is likely to only effect the immediate confines of your vehicle, and not knock out everyone elses GSM and GPS for an unknown distance, probably into 10's of metres, possibly into 100's? Including those of the Emergency Services, Doctors, Fireman, Lifeboatmen, Vets.. ect ect ect who rely on these services?

Of course, electronic jamming seems a little pointless when you could simply place a lead box around the device to passively prevent the reception of signals..
Old 08 August 2007, 09:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Iraqi's used russian GPS jammers to muck up cruise missiles. 500M range, and they wondered why a few missiles landend on non military targets.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:27 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Iraqi's used russian GPS jammers to muck up cruise missiles. 500M range, and they wondered why a few missiles landend on non military targets.
I heard about that, and was surprised they were effective. I bet they are making changes to stop that from working in future. The way I was thinking was that the missile has a distinct advantage. It is up in the air, and the signals it will receive will be from above. The jammers they would be using would be down on the ground. "All" you would need to do is to have a directional receiver that only looks for signals from above. That would have a pretty big effect on the jamming signals.

In addition I am really surprised that in combination with internal guidance info and regular non jammed updates, the missile should have been able to discard any spurious info.

It would be interesting to know more about how those Russians devices had some effect.