Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

University Application Help/Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 08:28 PM
Michaela
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default University Application Help/Suggestions

Right, I have 3 and a half weeks to fill out my UCAS application and apply to university.

So far I have put down to apply to the University of East Anglia (Norwich) and the University of Kent. I am allowed upto 6 options.

I would like to do a law degree and don't want to go miles away from home. So preferably staying in the south east. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of where would be good?

Also, I need to write my personal statement. Does anyone have any tips that would help?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you
Old 20 September 2006, 08:44 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Well norwich is as boring as **** and doesnt exactly stand out in employers eyes.

You have to strike a balance between where you will enjoy living, the best course and somewhere well known for that particular subject

alternatively, do what I did and pick a place that has a great nightlife
Old 21 September 2006, 10:41 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

University of Hertfordshire. There Law dept. is in St.Albans.
Old 21 September 2006, 10:50 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

What about London? LSE have a good law dept, as do King's College. Kent is quite good.
Old 21 September 2006, 10:59 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
Well norwich is as boring as **** and doesnt exactly stand out in employers eyes.

You have to strike a balance between where you will enjoy living, the best course and somewhere well known for that particular subject

alternatively, do what I did and pick a place that has a great nightlife
Wasn't sale of the century filmed there........... naaaaaaarrrrrwich..
Old 21 September 2006, 11:12 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My daughter's pal does Law at Brunel (Uxbridge) and seems to enjoy it. Quite high entry requirements.

When my daughter was applying for uni it was quite helpful visiting various unis. We went to Bristol and actually had a chat with a senior admissions tutor who gave us some strong hints on what to say on the application to make it a bit different from the crowd, as it were. Anyway she got there In fact my gal's flatmate at Bristol does Law and they both love the uni. Bit Hooray Henry but otherwise fine. Travel is pretty good to London by rail. Circa £25 return with the right ticket. Whereabouts are you?

Sunday Times did their "which uni" supplement recently so see if you can get hold of that. Good luck. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 21 September 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:12 PM
Michaela
Scooby Regular

I live in Essex. Don't know if I could affird living costs in London- seem to be a lot higher than everywhere else.
The problem is I have 3 and a half weeks to apply and there is no chance of me looking round all of those I put down.
I'm going to the Kent open day on the 7th October and unfortunately this clashes with a few others. I might ring and just ask for an appointment to look round.
Thanks for suggestions so far

Last edited by Michaela; 21 September 2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:21 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Don't Anglia do law Michaela? They used to do it in Chelmsford but seem to recall it moved to one of the other campus'

That would be the most local for you I'd have thought. What about some of the london uni's they will be only a train ride away (or you can borrow Frayz' scooby to cut down the journey times)

What are you planning on doing? living at Uni term time and staying at home weekends and holidays or just travelling in every day? I think you will find that coming up to exam times you would find it easier to stay at uni and just bury your head in books, the travelling makes that difficult.

I am hoping to make the lodge tonight so if you are there come and speak to me about it, both my wife and I did law and went to different uni's

PM me if you have any particular questions, I'll try and help
Old 21 September 2006, 01:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think the problem with London is that anything a student will be able to afford will be in a pretty rough area and (being sexist for a moment) especially for a girl even sharing.
Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances but I thought half the fun of uni was getting away from home, not planning to stay too close. Just close enough to train back every six weeks with the washing and catch up on eating?? dl
Old 22 September 2006, 09:44 PM
Michaela
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
My daughter's pal does Law at Brunel (Uxbridge) and seems to enjoy it. Quite high entry requirements.

When my daughter was applying for uni it was quite helpful visiting various unis. We went to Bristol and actually had a chat with a senior admissions tutor who gave us some strong hints on what to say on the application to make it a bit different from the crowd, as it were. Anyway she got there In fact my gal's flatmate at Bristol does Law and they both love the uni. Bit Hooray Henry but otherwise fine. Travel is pretty good to London by rail. Circa £25 return with the right ticket. Whereabouts are you?

Sunday Times did their "which uni" supplement recently so see if you can get hold of that. Good luck. dl
What were you told to put on the application "to make it different"?
Thank you
Old 23 September 2006, 09:14 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Michaela
What were you told to put on the application "to make it different"?
Thank you
Michaela - hi - sorry I didn't see your post until now. Now my daughter was applying for Experimental Psychology, not Law, but the admissions tutor suggested that my daughter read a couple of books which he recommended(he hadn't written them or anything like that) about some aspects of psychology of a non-academic type and mention this in her application. I believe the thinking was that this demonstrated she had an interest in the subject that was outside the strict parameters of the academic route and not something that would have been included in an "A" level, for example.

I also wrote to the guy after the meeting thanking him for his courtesy and casually mentioning that my daughter had Bristol at the top of her preferences. Probably against the rules but it annoys me that the uni had no way of knowing which uni the student would prefer to go to as there is no facility to do this in the application forms.

Now I haven't a clue as to whether you could transfer this concept to a Law appplication but maybe if there was some aspect of law that is "outside the box" that interests you it might not do any harm to mention it?? It just makes you stand out from the other 500 applications.

Bristol wanted ABB btw. dl
Old 23 September 2006, 09:41 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

feel free to pm me - I deal with UCAS statements/applications at work

Dan
Old 23 September 2006, 09:45 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

good uni Brunel but has the highest male to female ratio for a Uni in the UK

And it's full of geeky engineers

My wife did law at Luton, dont!!

If you want to make a career of law and if you can, get into an established school of law, there is still some badge snobbery out there with respect to where you studied (for law anyway!)
Old 23 September 2006, 02:46 PM
loopy01
Scooby Regular

Hello Michaela,
hope you are having a nice week end...

Don't think anyone mentioned Colchester, you can study law there : University of Essex.

See you at the next meet... Loopy