DFS

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2006, 12:57 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFS

Need a new sofa for my new apartment..

Went to DFS for all those amazing offers, when I arrived everything was full priced

Has anyone bought anything from DFS? are they any good..

or am i best off spending the extra cash at a independent
Old 08 May 2006, 01:15 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I got a couple of good settees from next, have you tried their homeware division?
Old 08 May 2006, 01:28 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

i brought some stuff from DFS. Dont bother ! I spent £1400 on an L shape sofa, + a 2 seater. I tried to cancel 8 days after signing for the order, but they didnt let me. I day over :-(

Recieved the items about 7 weeks after, now had it now for 5 months and already the seats have sunk, recliner act is sloppy, i.e. quality not good.

Ive come to realise that DFS stuff is good looking cheap stuff, designed to last a year or so. So, if its to get you by for a couple of years then get some, but dont expect life long stuff.

Also, dont bother with an L shape sofa and never buy with your g/f, as the ****e she likes is that romantic, lets cuddle stuff, hence the L shape thing. However, when it arrives, its uncomfortable, you never cuddle, and it hardly fits in your room :-)

£1400 lesson !

SBK
Old 08 May 2006, 01:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Bit late now but by law isn't it a 14 day cooling off period SBK?
Old 08 May 2006, 01:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any shop that offers Sofa's at 200% OFF - buy now pay in 2075 - and then in easy 50 year installments simply MUST be selling crap!!

Get yourself to a little independant department store, much, much better - but sadly reducing in number!

Pete
Old 08 May 2006, 01:41 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

got my sofa from DFS. had it 2 years and no problem what so ever.

theres always gonna be a defective product in any shop you go to
Old 08 May 2006, 01:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want and how long you want it to last.

We bought a couple of leather sofas from Ikea earlier in the year, about £250 each, bought on a Sunday, delivered the same day. So far they are holding up well, but I don't expect them to last more the 4 or 5 years. Having said that, we threw out a Spoils Chesterfield that was 15 years old to make way for them.
Old 08 May 2006, 02:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Simon K
i brought some stuff from DFS. Dont bother ! I spent £1400 on an L shape sofa, + a 2 seater. I tried to cancel 8 days after signing for the order, but they didnt let me. I day over :-(

Recieved the items about 7 weeks after, now had it now for 5 months and already the seats have sunk, recliner act is sloppy, i.e. quality not good.

Ive come to realise that DFS stuff is good looking cheap stuff, designed to last a year or so. So, if its to get you by for a couple of years then get some, but dont expect life long stuff.

Also, dont bother with an L shape sofa and never buy with your g/f, as the ****e she likes is that romantic, lets cuddle stuff, hence the L shape thing. However, when it arrives, its uncomfortable, you never cuddle, and it hardly fits in your room :-)

£1400 lesson !

SBK
I bought an L shape from DFS, lasted well over a year now and still going strong, its very comfy (so much so I sleep there most saturday nights watching MOTD)
Old 08 May 2006, 02:23 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Yes, sorry gents, it was 14 days notice. I just remember that what ever the period was, I was one day over.

Never mind, these things happen and I learnt a very important lession.

SBK
Old 08 May 2006, 02:37 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

They do look good in the showroom and I'll probably buy one. Can't argue with the price, £600 for a 3 seater that would cost £2500 from the "local" shops that are disappearing.
Old 08 May 2006, 02:41 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by pslewis
Any shop that offers Sofa's at 200% OFF - buy now pay in 2075 - and then in easy 50 year installments simply MUST be selling crap!!

Get yourself to a little independant department store, much, much better - but sadly reducing in number!

Pete
Even if said independant only offers uncomfortable sofas with styling only suitable for the over 75s?
Old 08 May 2006, 03:05 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Use this place: http://www.sofasofa.co.uk

Massive range, excellent prices, excellent quality, fast delivery and they're all made in the UK - not in some crappy place in Italy.

Oh - and if you buy leather, make sure you buy saddle leather. It's the best and most comfortable leather cut available on most furniture. Well worth the extra cash. It marks and scars easily though (which could be a good thing if you're after the lived-in look I was)
Old 08 May 2006, 03:09 PM
Mollox
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sofa King, Their prices ars sofaking low!
Old 08 May 2006, 03:11 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

we went to dfs for the same reason (ie there was another "sale" on). had a good look around and the only sofa we liked wasn't in the sale. we bought it anyway and although in general it's ok, it has sagged in the corner that gets used the most. we probably wouldn;t buy from them again

just bought a sofa for our conservatory from slot furniture. pretty cheap compared to other L shaped sofas and i would usually expect you get what you pay for, so we'll see how it wears! at the end of the day, if it wears out in a couple of years, it'll still be £600 odd quid better spent than on something without removeable covers etc from the "usual" sofa suppliers. www.slotfurniture.co.uk is worth a look if you're interested. all their stuff is modular, so you can add, remove or replace bits to suit any changes in preferred seating plan.
Old 08 May 2006, 03:58 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mollox
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sofa King, Their prices ars sofaking low!
Old 08 May 2006, 04:03 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

DFS = Dodgy Furniture Shop

had a pair of leather sofas from them a few years ago - got quite saggy quite quickly - dissappointing for the money they cost
Old 08 May 2006, 04:08 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

My Sister spent over two grand on a sofa from there and its f***ed, - she is not happy to say the least.

bob over to Macclesfield and to Arighi Bianchi - mine has lasted ages.
some quite good deals on
Old 08 May 2006, 04:09 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Use this place: http://www.sofasofa.co.uk

Massive range, excellent prices, excellent quality, fast delivery and they're all made in the UK - not in some crappy place in Italy.

Oh - and if you buy leather, make sure you buy saddle leather. It's the best and most comfortable leather cut available on most furniture. Well worth the extra cash. It marks and scars easily though (which could be a good thing if you're after the lived-in look I was)

Dont go searching the web for information on saddle leather though, as that is just a renamed leather. The leather on their website for the saddle leather range looks to be the same leather i buy at work.

Its a normal upholstery hide - from a company based in the uk. The leather itself is manufacturered in Italy.

To be fair though, this leather is good, it comes as standard with distressed look, which increases when the leather is stretched over the furniture.
Old 08 May 2006, 04:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sit on the arms of any 'new' products these places have, as a test.

I always do, and very few won't lift as 'balsa wood' lets you win everytime.

Most of anywhere has to offer is cráp today.

It takes a search for quality.

Then again, peoples tastes change more now, and they can afford to throw out stuff and replace it more often at the prices available. Not many people want to pay for quality as they would need to keep things much longer to justify the price.
Old 08 May 2006, 05:01 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Miss Kinky
DFS = Dodgy Furniture Shop

had a pair of leather sofas from them a few years ago - got quite saggy quite quickly - dissappointing for the money they cost
I aways thought it was:
DFS = Dodgy Fu*cking Sofas.
Old 08 May 2006, 05:43 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

DFS are to sofas what Safestyle are to Double Glazing, or Carcraft \reto vehicle procurement... Where peoples more expensive purchases are poor quality with poor service specifically aimed at getting those who cant afford cash to sign credit agreements.
I personally wouldn't consider buying from anywhere that is forever doing 50%discounts, buy now pay next year, interest free bollox
Remember there's a reason they're "giving it away" every bank holiday...

I'd sooner make my own furtniture out of bubble wrap and MDF
Old 08 May 2006, 06:06 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I aways thought it was:
DFS = Dodgy Fu*cking Sofas.
Spot one
astraboy.
Old 08 May 2006, 07:09 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

DFS reminds me of the Officers club that sells clothes, been having a closing down sale since Fu**ing 1970.

Mac