Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DFS - Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2013, 08:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DFS - Refunds?

Recently moved house, and decided that the 2 seater Leather sofa's I had in my flat had to go for something a little bigger.

Bought 2 lovely new fabric sofa's which were delivered just before Christmas.

Didn't move in till middle of February (Long story) and since I've been in, I'd started to get an itchy back. Started scabbing over, and then my arms started.

Have realised that it must be that I'm allergic to the fabric (I do have sensative skin) and phoned DFS store to inform them I have a problem.

Basically, they are saying it's nothing to do with the Sofa. I'm off to the Doctors this week (as DFS want proof) to get a letter to state I'm allergic to the material.

Anyone ever get a refund from DFS? Or (As I suspect) are they likely to just say "Tough ****" !!

Really p!ssed off, as it took me ages to find a Sofa I liked. Now I may end up chucking the bl00dy things in a skip, and go out and buy some new ones.
Old 09 April 2013, 09:04 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah they del the wrong size sofas to us. Told us to do one.

App as we went in the shop, sat on a two seated. The dumb *** rep put it down as a three we signed it, our fault. Bunch of cun-ts
Old 09 April 2013, 09:32 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have never heard of some one being allergic to a sofa, what would you expect Dfs to do with a used sofa that is partially full of dead pieces of skin and soaked in your sweat.... Surely your not actually expecting them to take it back?.

Try eBay, Gumtree or British heart foundation and chalk it down to experience, probably worth going to a homeopath to check all your allergies to make sure your not allergic to other things like dining chairs, tables, vacuums and having to go through this ordeal again
Old 09 April 2013, 09:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have them re-upholstered
Old 09 April 2013, 09:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I have never heard of some one being allergic to a sofa, what would you expect Dfs to do with a used sofa that is partially full of dead pieces of skin and soaked in your sweat.... Surely your not actually expecting them to take it back?.

Try eBay, Gumtree or British heart foundation and chalk it down to experience, probably worth going to a homeopath to check all your allergies to make sure your not allergic to other things like dining chairs, tables, vacuums and having to go through this ordeal again
I think it's that actual fabric smart ****. Saying that, I do sneeze when I see a table, and shout **** when I see your name.

As said, I've only been sat on them few weeks.
Old 09 April 2013, 10:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

maybe get a throw over?
Old 09 April 2013, 10:14 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Something rang a bell about a story from a while back where some sort of chemicals in sofas that were causing rashes and burns. Unfortunately the link is for a compensation chasing solicitor but it seems from this page it was a chemical used to stop mould - http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/commer...ion/sofa-rash/

Might be an avenue worth exploring...
Old 09 April 2013, 10:40 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I too heard of this issue a while ago regarding a chemical they sprayed over the sofas. The issue was reported on Watchdog sometime ago. Sorry I don't have anything more specific.
Old 09 April 2013, 10:43 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Yeah, I too heard of this issue a while ago regarding a chemical they sprayed over the sofas. The issue was reported on Watchdog sometime ago. Sorry I don't have anything more specific.
I think that was the acid used to bleach and treat the leather skins which was not neutralised properly, I am guessing from the OP's description he has bought somesort of Nylon/mohair cobination
Old 10 April 2013, 12:49 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the fabric treated for stain protection ?
There was sprays taken off the market about 18monts two years ago for causing burning and skin rash
Sprays were anti staining
Did you pay extra for it ?
Old 10 April 2013, 07:39 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I paid extra to get a fabric DFS sofa stain guarded , in warm wether or if heating was on alot it stank the room out ! Pissed me right off coz it smelled worse than the old one . Never had a problem with any reactions to it , but wish i hadnt have done it.

Are you still paying it off ? (DFS 0% over 4 years type deal)
Old 10 April 2013, 07:42 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Was the fabric treated for stain protection ?
There was sprays taken off the market about 18monts two years ago for causing burning and skin rash
Sprays were anti staining
Did you pay extra for it ?
If this is the 'Guardsman' system that they try to sell with every sofa, it isn't protective spray, its an insurance policy! They fail to tell you that in the store!

Only valid for the first 12 months as well.

As for reacting to the sofa, just quote the recent watchdog story on it. It has something to do with the little sachet they put inside the sofa to keep it 'fresh'. Massive scandal. It might not have anything to do with your sofa, but it should perk their ears up.
Old 10 April 2013, 07:44 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

If you're considering throwing away two nearly new sofas because of your reaction to the fabric then you have far too much money to waste. Sell them cheap or donate them to a charity etc.

Best of luck
Old 10 April 2013, 07:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you need to get a job and stop sitting on your **** watching Jeremy Kyle all day.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:03 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Most retailers pulled out of the spraying of fabrics 3/4/5 years ago due to the cost and questionable value of it
The spray would tend to dry out in people's rooms after a few months and would loose its cleaning and stain powers

The famous leather scandle was when a manufacturer from china ( where most come from now ) decided to spray the leather to stop it drying out in the containers rather then used the small crystall packet which have been used successfully for years
The spray reacted with some people's skin quite badly
Old 10 April 2013, 08:04 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Maybe you need to get a job and stop sitting on your **** watching Jeremy Kyle all day.

Split coffee of laptop classic joke
Old 10 April 2013, 08:26 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

as you have just moved could it actually be the water or even a change of soap powder could cause the reaction you have mentioned.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:30 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Stilover if your in the three counties ring the jvs show he tackles consumer problems.
If you have an alergic reaction to the sofa weather it's faulty or not try and work on their moral side and say you can't test a sofa naked in the store. If they stick to their guns email the MD
Old 10 April 2013, 08:54 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I bought a sofa from the two yrs ago and during Decenber went back into the local store and ordered a matching foot stool. Fast forward 12 weeks and the foot stool arrives but it doesn't match our sofa so the Missus calls the store and tells the lady the situation. To cut the story short they aren't interested in any after sales problems and won't give a refund and apparently its our own fault for ordering the wrong colour- the sofa is charcoal grey and we ordered a charcoal grey stool- even the receipts state charcoal grey!

Now going down the strongly worded letter to their head office route.
Old 10 April 2013, 12:59 PM
Rhana
Scooby Regular

The sofa scandal was when the Chinese suppliers were using dimethyl fumarate (DMF) as a preservative to stop mould growth on sofas being transported and stored. DMF is a skin sensitiser and can cause burns.

This was around 4-5 years ago and DMF is banned certainly in Europe
Old 10 April 2013, 01:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head

As for reacting to the sofa, just quote the recent watchdog story on it. It has something to do with the little sachet they put inside the sofa to keep it 'fresh'. Massive scandal. It might not have anything to do with your sofa, but it should perk their ears up.
Yeah, might try that. Have heard about the little sachet. So maybe that could be the cause.
Old 10 April 2013, 01:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Stilover if your in the three counties ring the jvs show he tackles consumer problems.
If you have an alergic reaction to the sofa weather it's faulty or not try and work on their moral side and say you can't test a sofa naked in the store. If they stick to their guns email the MD
Yeah, was going to say exactly that. When I bought the Sofa's, is was minus 5 outside. Never even crossed my mind to take all my clothes off and sit there to see if I got a reaction. I probably would have, but not the skin kind !!
Old 10 April 2013, 01:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
If you're considering throwing away two nearly new sofas because of your reaction to the fabric then you have far too much money to waste. Sell them cheap or donate them to a charity etc.

Best of luck
No, I'm not going to throw them away. But selling on Ebay will get a fraction of what I payed. Plus I then have to go out and buy some new ones.

Yes I can afford it, but that's not the point. I can't afford to just throw that money down the drain.
Old 10 April 2013, 01:54 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Did you pay on a credit card?
We had some problems trying to get a refund on a TV, put the details in writing to our CC company and had a refund from them within a couple of weeks. I pay for everything on a card now, especially given the amount of companies going bust these days.
Old 10 April 2013, 07:39 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
Did you pay on a credit card?
We had some problems trying to get a refund on a TV, put the details in writing to our CC company and had a refund from them within a couple of weeks. I pay for everything on a card now, especially given the amount of companies going bust these days.
No. Took advantage of their 4 years interest free credit.
Old 10 April 2013, 07:45 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Tell them you will stop paying as its not fit for your purpose.
Old 10 April 2013, 07:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
No, I'm not going to throw them away. But selling on Ebay will get a fraction of what I payed. Plus I then have to go out and buy some new ones.

Yes I can afford it, but that's not the point. I can't afford to just throw that money down the drain.
Hence why you're trying to get them replaced, makes sense now.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:07 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Has anyone else been on them naked. If they get a reaction chances are its the sofa. If not of may just be unlucky.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:07 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

P1ssing in the wind pal. As far as I can see, your the problem not dfs. Put yourself in there shoes, you wouldn't get a dime outta me mate.
Old 10 April 2013, 09:17 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding

Split coffee of laptop classic joke

Quick Reply: DFS - Refunds?