ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   DFS (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/513743-dfs.html)

gazza-uk 08 May 2006 12:57 PM

DFS

Need a new sofa for my new apartment..

Went to DFS for all those amazing offers, when I arrived everything was full priced :wonder:

Has anyone bought anything from DFS? are they any good..

or am i best off spending the extra cash at a independent

fitzscoob 08 May 2006 01:15 PM

I got a couple of good settees from next, have you tried their homeware division?

Simon K 08 May 2006 01:28 PM

i brought some stuff from DFS. Dont bother ! I spent £1400 on an L shape sofa, + a 2 seater. I tried to cancel 8 days after signing for the order, but they didnt let me. I day over :-(

Recieved the items about 7 weeks after, now had it now for 5 months and already the seats have sunk, recliner act is sloppy, i.e. quality not good.

Ive come to realise that DFS stuff is good looking cheap stuff, designed to last a year or so. So, if its to get you by for a couple of years then get some, but dont expect life long stuff.

Also, dont bother with an L shape sofa and never buy with your g/f, as the ****e she likes is that romantic, lets cuddle stuff, hence the L shape thing. However, when it arrives, its uncomfortable, you never cuddle, and it hardly fits in your room :-)

£1400 lesson !

SBK

Jay m A 08 May 2006 01:35 PM

Bit late now but by law isn't it a 14 day cooling off period SBK?

pslewis 08 May 2006 01:38 PM

Any shop that offers Sofa's at 200% OFF - buy now pay in 2075 - and then in easy 50 year installments simply MUST be selling crap!!

Get yourself to a little independant department store, much, much better - but sadly reducing in number!

Pete

watto52 08 May 2006 01:41 PM

got my sofa from DFS. had it 2 years and no problem what so ever.

theres always gonna be a defective product in any shop you go to:)

OllyK 08 May 2006 01:43 PM

Depends what you want and how long you want it to last.

We bought a couple of leather sofas from Ikea earlier in the year, about £250 each, bought on a Sunday, delivered the same day. So far they are holding up well, but I don't expect them to last more the 4 or 5 years. Having said that, we threw out a Spoils Chesterfield that was 15 years old to make way for them.

davegtt 08 May 2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon K
i brought some stuff from DFS. Dont bother ! I spent £1400 on an L shape sofa, + a 2 seater. I tried to cancel 8 days after signing for the order, but they didnt let me. I day over :-(

Recieved the items about 7 weeks after, now had it now for 5 months and already the seats have sunk, recliner act is sloppy, i.e. quality not good.

Ive come to realise that DFS stuff is good looking cheap stuff, designed to last a year or so. So, if its to get you by for a couple of years then get some, but dont expect life long stuff.

Also, dont bother with an L shape sofa and never buy with your g/f, as the ****e she likes is that romantic, lets cuddle stuff, hence the L shape thing. However, when it arrives, its uncomfortable, you never cuddle, and it hardly fits in your room :-)

£1400 lesson !

SBK

I bought an L shape from DFS, lasted well over a year now and still going strong, its very comfy (so much so I sleep there most saturday nights watching MOTD)

Simon K 08 May 2006 02:23 PM

Yes, sorry gents, it was 14 days notice. I just remember that what ever the period was, I was one day over.

Never mind, these things happen and I learnt a very important lession.

SBK

KiwiGTI 08 May 2006 02:37 PM

They do look good in the showroom and I'll probably buy one. Can't argue with the price, £600 for a 3 seater that would cost £2500 from the "local" shops that are disappearing.

ChrisB 08 May 2006 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Any shop that offers Sofa's at 200% OFF - buy now pay in 2075 - and then in easy 50 year installments simply MUST be selling crap!!

Get yourself to a little independant department store, much, much better - but sadly reducing in number!

Pete

Even if said independant only offers uncomfortable sofas with styling only suitable for the over 75s?

mad_dr 08 May 2006 03:05 PM

Use this place: http://www.sofasofa.co.uk

Massive range, excellent prices, excellent quality, fast delivery and they're all made in the UK - not in some crappy place in Italy.

Oh - and if you buy leather, make sure you buy saddle leather. It's the best and most comfortable leather cut available on most furniture. Well worth the extra cash. It marks and scars easily though (which could be a good thing if you're after the lived-in look I was)

Mollox 08 May 2006 03:09 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sofa King, Their prices ars sofaking low! :D

richardg 08 May 2006 03:11 PM

we went to dfs for the same reason (ie there was another "sale" on). had a good look around and the only sofa we liked wasn't in the sale. we bought it anyway and although in general it's ok, it has sagged in the corner that gets used the most. we probably wouldn;t buy from them again

just bought a sofa for our conservatory from slot furniture. pretty cheap compared to other L shaped sofas and i would usually expect you get what you pay for, so we'll see how it wears! at the end of the day, if it wears out in a couple of years, it'll still be £600 odd quid better spent than on something without removeable covers etc from the "usual" sofa suppliers. www.slotfurniture.co.uk is worth a look if you're interested. all their stuff is modular, so you can add, remove or replace bits to suit any changes in preferred seating plan.

gazza-uk 08 May 2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mollox
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sofa King, Their prices ars sofaking low! :D

:notworthy :notworthy :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Miss Kinky 08 May 2006 04:03 PM

DFS = Dodgy Furniture Shop

had a pair of leather sofas from them a few years ago - got quite saggy quite quickly - dissappointing for the money they cost :(

The Chief 08 May 2006 04:08 PM

My Sister spent over two grand on a sofa from there and its f***ed, - she is not happy to say the least.

bob over to Macclesfield and to Arighi Bianchi - mine has lasted ages.
some quite good deals on

fitzscoob 08 May 2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Use this place: http://www.sofasofa.co.uk

Massive range, excellent prices, excellent quality, fast delivery and they're all made in the UK - not in some crappy place in Italy.

Oh - and if you buy leather, make sure you buy saddle leather. It's the best and most comfortable leather cut available on most furniture. Well worth the extra cash. It marks and scars easily though (which could be a good thing if you're after the lived-in look I was)

Dont go searching the web for information on saddle leather though, as that is just a renamed leather. The leather on their website for the saddle leather range looks to be the same leather i buy at work.

Its a normal upholstery hide - from a company based in the uk. The leather itself is manufacturered in Italy.

To be fair though, this leather is good, it comes as standard with distressed look, which increases when the leather is stretched over the furniture.

Spoon 08 May 2006 04:37 PM

Sit on the arms of any 'new' products these places have, as a test.

I always do, and very few won't lift as 'balsa wood' lets you win everytime.

Most of anywhere has to offer is cráp today.

It takes a search for quality.

Then again, peoples tastes change more now, and they can afford to throw out stuff and replace it more often at the prices available. Not many people want to pay for quality as they would need to keep things much longer to justify the price.

legb4rsk 08 May 2006 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Kinky
DFS = Dodgy Furniture Shop

had a pair of leather sofas from them a few years ago - got quite saggy quite quickly - dissappointing for the money they cost :(

I aways thought it was:
DFS = Dodgy Fu*cking Sofas.

Abdabz 08 May 2006 05:43 PM

DFS are to sofas what Safestyle are to Double Glazing, or Carcraft \reto vehicle procurement... Where peoples more expensive purchases are poor quality with poor service specifically aimed at getting those who cant afford cash to sign credit agreements.
I personally wouldn't consider buying from anywhere that is forever doing 50%discounts, buy now pay next year, interest free bollox :)
Remember there's a reason they're "giving it away" every bank holiday...

I'd sooner make my own furtniture out of bubble wrap and MDF :thumb:

astraboy 08 May 2006 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I aways thought it was:
DFS = Dodgy Fu*cking Sofas.

Spot one :lol1:
astraboy.

bluenosewrx 08 May 2006 07:09 PM

DFS reminds me of the Officers club that sells clothes, been having a closing down sale since Fu**ing 1970.

Mac