Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DFS?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2011, 10:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFS?

Need to buy a lounge suite. Don't have a huge budget. Is DFS stuff reasonable and/or where else should I be looking please?

Specifically after a sofa bed and two matching chairs.

Cheers, David
Old 05 April 2011, 10:21 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second DFS sofa, got bored of the first after 15 years. Current one is 5 year old and looks like despite a dog and 2 kids
Old 05 April 2011, 11:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've got £400 of discount vouchers for dfs which you are welcome to have.
Old 05 April 2011, 11:11 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Don't be excited about the price

4 years % free is built into the price as they want you to pay on finance then talk you into 12 months instead of four years

You will find they are 25-30 % more expensive then Harveys like for like

Dont be misled by their sales techniques or sale ends today and you can't wheel and deal in DFS

Compare their like for like with other retailers

And of course hang back to Easter weekend for the biggest promotion weekend since boxing day

Depends what sort of price range you are after sometimes independents can be just as cheap on top end products

No such thing as interest free

The only things free are the air we breath and the ground we walk on
Old 05 April 2011, 11:14 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I've got £400 of discount vouchers for dfs which you are welcome to have.
Is that offer open to any one else,namely me?
Old 05 April 2011, 11:21 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You can have some if you want
Old 05 April 2011, 11:23 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

You can have some if you want
I'm only yanking your chain mate,thanks any way your a top bloke to offer something like that
Old 05 April 2011, 11:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding

The only things free are the air we breath and the ground we walk on

And advice on SN of course.......

Thanks for voucher offer but I have some of those and it's one per item I think.

Might have a look at Harvey's site.

Cheers, David
Old 06 April 2011, 12:05 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Best selling sofa in Harveys is the bel air or Brando which is slightly dearer but bigger
Very hard wearing and 3st& a2str would be £858 delivered as against £1200 aprox for settee and 2chairs

Look for any shop floor clearance modles which are normally 25-30% off sale prices to clear and there is a lot to clear before new modles arrive in before Easter
Haggle in for cheaper delivery and a free care kit

Pocket springs are best if you go for leather and a higher back with two separate back panels for longer life and better back support too

Also look out for Harveys clearance shops which are full of marked sofas very cheap a good upholsterer would touch up the leather for under £100
Old 06 April 2011, 12:32 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're buying a new sofa get in quick because their sale ends soon.....
Old 06 April 2011, 12:35 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

This lot are down your neck of the woods and might be worth a look

Rosemary Ansell. Kirdford Rd, Wisborough Green, Billingshurst, West Sussex, RH14 0DD
http://www.ansellswarehouse.co.uk/

I bought furniture for my first house from them years ago.
They used to operate out of old barns and used to offer good quality stuff at sensible prices.
It might be worth checking them out especially as they have a closing down sale on
Old 06 April 2011, 09:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sosbanite
This lot are down your neck of the woods and might be worth a look

Rosemary Ansell. Kirdford Rd, Wisborough Green, Billingshurst, West Sussex, RH14 0DD
http://www.ansellswarehouse.co.uk/

I bought furniture for my first house from them years ago.
They used to operate out of old barns and used to offer good quality stuff at sensible prices.
It might be worth checking them out especially as they have a closing down sale on
My goodness that brings back memories for me. I've bought from them in the past, quite a set-up only open on Sundays IIRC. Bob Ansell was a larger than life character. Scrupulously mannered and honest but you didn't argue with him! Heaven help you if you parked your car in his yard in the wrong place. One super story was that a chap came in and Bob had a large pot/vase for sale and told Bob he would offer him £20 below the asking price. Bob looked thoughtful, picked up the vase, raised it above his head and hurled it onto the concrete floor smashing it to bits - "That's what I think of your offer, now get out" he said. Pure class.

I might pop round there. I think Big Rachel, their daughter, runs the show now.

David
Old 06 April 2011, 09:49 AM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Be wary with Harveys, I ordered my sofa on the 16th of December with a delivery date of the 19th febuary.

I'm still waiting and have had 4 different delivery dates.

The most recent one we have is that they will receive it on the 28th of April and we should get in the first 2 weeks of may!! But that is subject to change again.

That will be around 19 weeks waiting for a original estimate of 8 to 10 weeks.

Also we have been told that is was in a container waiting to be unloaded at the warehouse on our 2nd due date only to be told 2 weeks after that the supplier couldn't keep up with the demand.

The sofa we bought was the senator and there have also been so many other complaints above harveys that we never looked for until we had our own problems.

Doug
Old 06 April 2011, 09:50 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

A good independent is the way to go, DFS - sh*t over priced furniture sold by heavily commission led sales people. If buying for an independent get the best discount you can then ask for more
Old 06 April 2011, 09:54 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've recently bought two sofa's from CSL, I bought it a week ago last Saturday and was told 5 weeks for delivery, the following Wednesday they called me to say it was ready to be delivered!
I'm now sat at home today waiting for delivery, that's what I call a good service
Old 06 April 2011, 10:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
A good independent is the way to go, DFS - sh*t over priced furniture sold by heavily commission led sales people. If buying for an independent get the best discount you can then ask for more
Fair enough but prices seem OK and I can cope with their pushy salesmen. Why is the product s,hit?

Happy to use an independent but I need to find one in my patch where I can see the item before purchase. Google is a bit of a nightmare in this respect. Yellow pages perhaps.

d
Old 06 April 2011, 10:20 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Fair enough but prices seem OK and I can cope with their pushy salesmen. Why is the product s,hit?

Happy to use an independent but I need to find one in my patch where I can see the item before purchase. Google is a bit of a nightmare in this respect. Yellow pages perhaps.

d
As above, I went to around 5 sofa places when I was looking recently and I had to actually find a sales man and say I want to buy a sofa, honestly no one approached me in any store, maybe i'm unapproacable
Old 06 April 2011, 10:52 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

DFS products are far from **** - I've got 2 DFS sofas right now, and have always had great service from them (in my view paying a reasonable price for a reasonable product with great service is better than paying a low price for a reasonable product with no service).

The DFS approach seems to be "Why spend thousands on furniture that will last a lifetime (like everyone used to) when your wife will probably want to redecorate within 10 years and will want a new matching sofa at that time".

So, DFS provide all of their UK built sofas with a 10 year on-site warranty (I know, I've used it). It doesn't cost anything, it's just part of the service - and it's how they differentiate from SCS, Harveys, etc.

An example: We've had the current sofas around 4 years, and around Christmas I noticed that an arm on one of them had a 'dent' in the foam (where I rest my elbow I think). I called the local store (where we bought them from) and they sent a technician out to visit (shirt'n'tie type, in a car). He flipped the sofa over, removed the bottom from it - delved inside with various tools and new pieces of foam and things, then replaced everything flipped the sofa back over and hoovered up after himself... better than new! Try getting a similar service from SCS or Harveys. You'll be stuck with a 'problem' sofa for the next n years.

So - I'd recommend DFS - good products, good prices, good service.

(Oh, and for those that can't work out how the DFS 'constant sale' works - They (like most businesses) have seasonal items - that come and go throughout the years. So, they run a "sale" on the mid/end-of-season items when they're no longer new and exciting (if sofas ever could be). That means that in most DFS showrooms you'll find (probably quite a few) products on sale, and products that aren't on sale (probably the new stuff, so quite a few less, admitedly) - so you have to time what you buy from them carefully).

DN (just a careful buyer, and a satisfied DFS customer!)
Old 06 April 2011, 11:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Doc,

d
Old 06 April 2011, 01:55 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Sat on my nice new sofa now from CSL, really comfy, delivery was spot on they came in asked where I wanted the sofas positioned, brought them in what I would describe as a padded jacket to protect them from damage, unwrapped them, gave me chance to inspect them then positioned them for me and made sure I was happy.
They gave me their names incase of any issues but there definately isn't, can't recommend them enough.
Old 06 April 2011, 01:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
DFS products are far from **** - I've got 2 DFS sofas right now, and have always had great service from them (in my view paying a reasonable price for a reasonable product with great service is better than paying a low price for a reasonable product with no service).

The DFS approach seems to be "Why spend thousands on furniture that will last a lifetime (like everyone used to) when your wife will probably want to redecorate within 10 years and will want a new matching sofa at that time".

So, DFS provide all of their UK built sofas with a 10 year on-site warranty (I know, I've used it). It doesn't cost anything, it's just part of the service - and it's how they differentiate from SCS, Harveys, etc.

An example: We've had the current sofas around 4 years, and around Christmas I noticed that an arm on one of them had a 'dent' in the foam (where I rest my elbow I think). I called the local store (where we bought them from) and they sent a technician out to visit (shirt'n'tie type, in a car). He flipped the sofa over, removed the bottom from it - delved inside with various tools and new pieces of foam and things, then replaced everything flipped the sofa back over and hoovered up after himself... better than new! Try getting a similar service from SCS or Harveys. You'll be stuck with a 'problem' sofa for the next n years.

So - I'd recommend DFS - good products, good prices, good service.

(Oh, and for those that can't work out how the DFS 'constant sale' works - They (like most businesses) have seasonal items - that come and go throughout the years. So, they run a "sale" on the mid/end-of-season items when they're no longer new and exciting (if sofas ever could be). That means that in most DFS showrooms you'll find (probably quite a few) products on sale, and products that aren't on sale (probably the new stuff, so quite a few less, admitedly) - so you have to time what you buy from them carefully).

DN (just a careful buyer, and a satisfied DFS customer!)
Excellent post. Me and the Mrs are looking to get a new sofa with her redundancy in Sept time and wish to look around the usual haunts like Harveys and DFS. Not so sure on the likes of SCS or CSL though. And unsure of the quality from Argos as you don't get to 'sit test' before buying.
Old 06 April 2011, 02:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Excellent post. Me and the Mrs are looking to get a new sofa with her redundancy in Sept time and wish to look around the usual haunts like Harveys and DFS. Not so sure on the likes of SCS or CSL though. And unsure of the quality from Argos as you don't get to 'sit test' before buying.
I suggest Tesco Direct. That way you can put the Clubcard points towards some pies
Old 06 April 2011, 02:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I suggest Tesco Direct. That way you can put the Clubcard points towards some pies

Old 06 April 2011, 04:15 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

I bought my second sofa from DFS, cost £2300...BIG Mistake! they were on watch dog not so long ago also...

Initially i failed the credit check, and the guy did a second one without asking me..it went through but if it had not i would have had two refusals on my credit file..which would not have been good as i was applying for a mortgage at that time,..

Sofa arrived, starting sagging after 3 weeks..DFS eventually came around said i need to plump it! anyway months later and i am thinking of chucking the sofa in the tip and buying from somewhere else..

Intrest free is appealing, but i feel the materials used in my sofa were not the same as the one in the showroom
Old 06 April 2011, 06:22 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Our last sofa was from Argos and it was utter $hite, was ok at first but after 3 years it was knackered, it was cheap though which was what we needed buying our first house
Old 06 April 2011, 06:27 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We're going tonight to get a sofa so I'll let ya know
Old 06 April 2011, 06:38 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Ant, If you want some DFS vouchers, let me know.
Old 06 April 2011, 09:14 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Bugger , we've ordered

Went to the darley Dale store, it was ok but felt we was being stalked by the salesman

Delivery in 5 weeks so we'll see what happens.
Old 06 April 2011, 10:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Bugger , we've ordered

Went to the darley Dale store, it was ok but felt we was being stalked by the salesman

Delivery in 5 weeks so we'll see what happens.
Did it cost at least £5,000 and did it have the blessing of the NSR pretentious brigade first. You know, the ones who shop at Waitorse only because they avoid germs at other stores or it looks good infront of their boss, not because it may actually be better quality

Ooh, err, I'm off to bed
Old 06 April 2011, 10:05 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Did it cost at least £5,000 and did it have the blessing of the NSR pretentious brigade first. You know, the ones who shop at Waitorse only because they avoid germs at other stores or it looks good infront of their boss, not because it may actually be better quality

Ooh, err, I'm off to bed
Sod them.

Quick Reply: DFS?