Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Supernanny

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2005, 12:03 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Supernanny

Just been talking to someone about this drivel & was looking for other peoples opinion to it.

Now this fat munter comes into said chav household & tells you how too treat your kids.
I know for a fact that if my little boy whos is 6 had a camera stuck in his face & i was telling him what to do with around 6 people staring at him i know for a fact he wouldnt do it, not that he's bad or that or deserves the sh!te that some of these kids endure.

I have to admit when i seen clips of it before i actually watched an episode i kept on saying i blame the parents for the kids behaviour. But no fcukin wonder these kids misbehave.

If thats what we are at with subjecting our kids to some fat waster then god help those that do !!!!

So what is the SN opinion of it all

Last edited by sti-04!!; 12 October 2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12 October 2005, 03:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Just been talking to someone about this drivel & was looking for other peoples opinion to it.

Now this fat munter comes into said chav household & tells you how too treat your kids.
I know for a fact that if my little boy whos is 6 had a camera stuck in his face & i was telling him what to do with around 6 people staring at him i know for a fact he wouldnt do it, not that he's bad or that or deserves the sh!te that some of these kids endure.

I have to admit when i seen clips of it before i actually watched an episode i kept on saying i blame the parents for the kids behaviour. But no fcukin wonder these kids misbehave.

If thats what we are at with subjecting our kids to some fat waster then god help those that do !!!!

So what is the SN opinion of it all

Im not sure what to make of it TBH. I dont have kids but I would have thought that most kids would react better to a stranger in the house who is being nice to them, rather than their parents who are always telling them off. Its like having your gran or aunt over.

I grew up with the threat of a slap from my olds or no tv if I was out of order and it never did me or my brothers any harm. My parents didnt need to use naughty corners and other such techniques to instill discipline. This program highlights the fact this country is so PC and slapping your kids is so frowned upon nowadays.

Most of the ones Ive seen its down to the parents. They argue all the time with each other and when the kid does something wrong they dont tell them off, they just speak to them with no authority whatsoever.

That one where the kid wouldnt eat anything but chips - no wonder with microwave meals and take out every day.

I wonder if she ever met a kid that couldnt be helped and they didnt screen it?

One thing I notice is that she always wears the same top just a different colour - looks like it has padded shoulders

Simon
Old 12 October 2005, 03:13 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Did anyone see wife swap on monday? Chav family with both parents on the dole. "We choose to stay at home for the benefit of our 5 kids". Bloke then pisses off down the bookies for 3hrs.

Then when questioned he says I dont scrounge off the state, I get my benefits from the DSS. LOL!

Simon.
Old 12 October 2005, 03:48 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Well as a non Kid owner.

I found Super Nanny not bad. The hardest part seems to be getting the parent(s) to stick to the plan once she leaves. But at least she appears to have results.

Its like training a Dog, if you dont do it when they are a Puppy. Its going to be much harder when they are grown up. The parents featured never disciplined properly at a young age.

Personally Im for corporal punishment. But Ive not seen SN resort to it. So it works for the namby pamby families featured.
Old 12 October 2005, 05:09 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

this fat munter
You're too fussy, i would
Old 12 October 2005, 06:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think she really knows her stuff and got 1000 times more patience than I would have in those situations. Bit bored with it by now though. I know she would frighten the hell out of me though!
Old 12 October 2005, 09:19 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Watched one and came to the conclusion that she was just using plain old - fashioned common sense. Something that can fly out of the window if you don't discipline your kids from day one.
Yve
Old 12 October 2005, 09:33 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The thing is, this woman goes into homes where everything has gone completely pear-shaped because the parents are using no effective discipline techniques AT ALL. If anyone has watched these programmes thinking that the children are at fault then they've never been a parent. Sometimes I want to climb into the telly and give the parents a good slapping. The other week with the so-called "food phobic" child I was absolutely livid, really beside myself with the Mum of the house. I've never used the naughty corner in my life, but what I have used is consistency with punishment and reward, right from the beginning. Allowing kids to do what they want is not the same as giving them love.

Last edited by Bubba po; 12 October 2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12 October 2005, 11:51 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Dave respect to that...give them an inch they'll take a mile. Do not set precedents and you will be okay.
Old 12 October 2005, 11:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Daren't show my wife that program - I see so much of her in the parents...
Old 13 October 2005, 12:15 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Bubba has hit the nail on the head, which isn't bad for one so aged. I truely believe there are no bad kids, there are merely bad parents who teach kids that it is OK to do whatever. Careful observation will show that 'the fat munter' merely teaches the parents how to instill discipline. 'The fat munter' can be immediately replaced with the threat of a good hiding. It worked for me and it works for my kids. Strangely, I haven't actually had to resort to 'a good hiding' for a couple of years now (girls are 6 and 4) -

btw - I bet the 'fat munter' knows a trick or two in bed - Bet Telboy would like her anyway
Old 13 October 2005, 12:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Bubba has hit the nail on the head, which isn't bad for one so aged. I truely believe there are no bad kids, there are merely bad parents who teach kids that it is OK to do whatever. Careful observation will show that 'the fat munter' merely teaches the parents how to instill discipline. 'The fat munter' can be immediately replaced with the threat of a good hiding. It worked for me and it works for my kids. Strangely, I haven't actually had to resort to 'a good hiding' for a couple of years now (girls are 6 and 4) -

btw - I bet the 'fat munter' knows a trick or two in bed - Bet Telboy would like her anyway
No, no. Kids are a bit like dogs - rules, respect and a reward system and mild punishment when it goes wrong. So you just want to bully your kids with the threat of a "good hiding"? dl - with 2 teenagers with a great relationship, so far

PS. What I did think the programme/s showed was that most of the kids were bored. As soon as they got involved in some meaningful activity with parent/s then things instantly got better.

Last edited by David Lock; 13 October 2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 13 October 2005, 12:37 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by David Lock
No, no. Kids are a bit like dogs - rules, respect and a reward system and mild punishment when it goes wrong. So you just want to bully your kids with the threat of a "good hiding"? dl - with 2 teenagers with a great realtionship, so far
Strangely, my kids know right from wrong, and it seems that they love me to bits for teaching them so. TBTH, you sound a bit like the parent who says ' my kids are angels and can do no wrong, or if they get caught robbing a bank I will ground them' while I say, ' all kids will do wrong sooner or later, but the first time they do it they will realise that the benefit of doing wrong is far outweighed by the punishment for doing wrong, so they think 'before I do anything I will give it due consideration and if I think it might be wrong I will check it out with Dad before making a decision' " - That is how I came through childhood and I still believe that it has made me a fairly sensible and balanced person. Mild punishment for severe 'crimes' is not IMHO the answer. Call me a bully if you like, but when the first ASBO is served I can bet it won't be on my kids
Old 13 October 2005, 01:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Strangely, my kids know right from wrong, and it seems that they love me to bits for teaching them so. TBTH, you sound a bit like the parent who says ' my kids are angels and can do no wrong, or if they get caught robbing a bank I will ground them' while I say, ' all kids will do wrong sooner or later, but the first time they do it they will realise that the benefit of doing wrong is far outweighed by the punishment for doing wrong, so they think 'before I do anything I will give it due consideration and if I think it might be wrong I will check it out with Dad before making a decision' " - That is how I came through childhood and I still believe that it has made me a fairly sensible and balanced person. Mild punishment for severe 'crimes' is not IMHO the answer. Call me a bully if you like, but when the first ASBO is served I can bet it won't be on my kids
Your kids are fine, I am sure, because they have a good balanced upbringing, as mine had/do. And I am sure you lead by example and they respect that. You said that all that was needed was the threat of a good hiding and that is bollox because it is so much more complicated than that. If you get to the stage when they they commit serious "crimes", whatever that means, then something has gone wrong. I assure you that I do not consider my kids as angels If they do commit a serious crime I will try to find out why instead of bashing them. dl
Old 13 October 2005, 01:23 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by David Lock
You said that all that was needed was the threat of a good hiding and that is bollox because it is so much more complicated than that.
OK - Maybe I am simple and my kids are simple, but how is it more complicated? The message to me/them was/is - if you do something that is not acceptable or hurts another person then you will be in deep **** up to your eyeballs and your life will be miserable. If you treat others as you would like to be treated then you will be happy, have a happy family and more than likely have loads of friends. As I said, maybe I am simple, but i could understand that at the age of 4, and I can still understand it 30 years down the line. Strangely, as a financial advisor, the same rules apply. If I do the best job that can be done for my clients, I will get endless referrals. If I rip them off, I will get complaints and get the 21st century equivalent of a good hiding from the FSA
Old 13 October 2005, 01:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK - Maybe I am simple and my kids are simple, but how is it more complicated? The message to me/them was/is - if you do something that is not acceptable or hurts another person then you will be in deep **** up to your eyeballs and your life will be miserable. If you treat others as you would like to be treated then you will be happy, have a happy family and more than likely have loads of friends. As I said, maybe I am simple, but i could understand that at the age of 4, and I can still understand it 30 years down the line. Strangely, as a financial advisor, the same rules apply. If I do the best job that can be done for my clients, I will get endless referrals. If I rip them off, I will get complaints and get the 21st century equivalent of a good hiding from the FSA
It's complicated because there is a need to understand why a child misbehaves. I smacked my kids when they were very young when they stuck fingers in plugs or whatever but that was it and in 36 child years of being a parent haven't found it necessary to resort to giving them a "good hiding". I am off to bed now - might kick the dog on the way upstairs david
Old 13 October 2005, 01:55 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Why smack them for putting fingers in plugs? There is nothing bad about that, merely lack of knowledge. I would imagine it would be more beneficial to explain the dangers involved. If they are just misguided or uneducated, then smacking or 'a good hiding' is a bit extreme, but if they decided to kick the dog on the way upstairs, then I believe that a punishment instead of an explanation is appropriate. If the kids respond to an explanation of why kicking dogs is wrong along with a minor punishment, then that would be the end of it, but if I gave that explanation and they continued to kick the dog for a laugh, then I feel that a more severe punishment would be appropriate. Maybe you would recommend that I try and understand why they think kicking the dog is OK????? - Is this the channel of discipline that your parents used?