Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday pay when resigning - entitled?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 12:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Holiday pay when resigning - entitled?

My GF has finally decided to leave the care company she is with. She's had a lot of rubbish from them and quite frankly she needs to get out before something serious happens to one of the clients.

Anayway, my GF thinks shes entitled to holiday pay. She been there 2 and a half years and entitled to 3 weeks paid leave. She has taken one week and she believes that when she leaves they should pay her the outstanding 2 weeks.

Can't see it myself but who know in this country! She going to ring ACAS later today to get advice but I didn't think an employer has to pay holiday when you leave.

I've told her to take two weeks leave ASAP and then resign in the 2nd week so she doesn't have to work a week in hand.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:13 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually holiday is prorated throughout the year - you "earn" holiday as you go through. For instance, our holiday year starts 1st January, we get 23 days per year, if an employee left at the end of June they would be entitled to 11 1/2 days. If, at the time they leave, they have taken more than they are entitled to, it is deducted from their final salary. Not sure what the "rules" are nowadays, but most companies seem to run their schemes like this.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:15 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Most places i have worked for apply this rule aswell. You have to earn your holiday entitlement, ie work 12 weeks to get one week. Most places wont let you take paid holiday until you have earned it. Hope this helps.
Old 16 May 2005, 02:32 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=EddScott She has taken one week and she believes that when she leaves they should pay her the outstanding 2 weeks. [/QUOTE]
She would only be entitled to payment for the other 2 weeks if she worked a full year without taking those two weeks off as holiday. As others have said, you need to pro-rata the holidays with the actual time worked counted when the holiday entitlement starts..
Old 16 May 2005, 09:26 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I'd also point out to them that employees are entiled to 20 days (ie 4 weeks) holiday each year by law.

Note though that, at the moment, paid bank holidays can count as part of the statutory entitlement.

John.
Old 16 May 2005, 10:11 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It is wing to her and the employer must pay it or risk ending up in an industrial tribunal.

Check her contract terms and conditions as she may well have forfeited whatever she earned last year if it wasn't taked by the company's payroll year end,but she will be entitled to be paid for what she has earned since that date and has not drawn.
Old 16 May 2005, 10:31 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Any pro-rated holiday remaining should be paid as part of her final pay cheque.

I do not believe that she is entitled to take holiday during her notice period. No legal beagle though
Old 16 May 2005, 10:50 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Any pro-rated holiday remaining should be paid as part of her final pay cheque.

I do not believe that she is entitled to take holiday during her notice period. No legal beagle though
She should be able to use any holiday allocation owing to reduce her notice period - by agreement with her employer (as they would have to agree any holiday usage).

Agree with all the others above - any holiday accrued should be owed - but if she's taken 'too much' then she may even be asked to pay it back.

Good luck.