Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Never mind our EU contributions ....

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2015, 03:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Never mind our EU contributions ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...parations.html
Old 29 September 2015, 04:09 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.I agree with that.
Now let's see,Romans,Vikings,Angles,medieval Lords of the Manor,Industrial Revolution factory owners & mine owners................Oh! and the Normans.

we're in for a fortune.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Old 30 September 2015, 07:39 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Yes.I agree with that.
Now let's see,Romans,Vikings,Angles,medieval Lords of the Manor,Industrial Revolution factory owners & mine owners................Oh! and the Normans.

we're in for a fortune.
Some would say that the settled jamacians live in a much better place than they did. Especially when taken in context that if you're jamacian who has committed a crime in Britain. You will be sent back to Jamaica to serve your sentence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34398014

Last edited by andy97; 30 September 2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, somewhat unsurprisingly, I think it's a valid point. These people's ancestors were forcefully removed from their homeland and enslaved by the British and other Europeans whom then proceeded to amass large fortunes from their labour, to the point that their legacy still exists to this day, so why shouldn't the descendants of the slaves at least be able to enjoy some of the basic things people in Britain take for granted, such as basic sanitation.

All well and good folks sitting at home in the UK thinking this is ridiculous, but there's no escaping the fact that a considerable amount of modern Britain was built off the back of the slave trade, and what did these people get from that huge wealth, a simple "OK you're free now, off you go" while the likes of Dave Cameron got a family fortune out of it to the point of him rising to become the prime minister of of Great Britain.

It's all relative.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:18 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well, somewhat unsurprisingly, I think it's a valid point. These people's ancestors were forcefully removed from their homeland and enslaved by the British and other Europeans whom then proceeded to amass large fortunes from their labour, to the point that their legacy still exists to this day, so why shouldn't the descendants of the slaves at least be able to enjoy some of the basic things people in Britain take for granted, such as basic sanitation.

All well and good folks sitting at home in the UK thinking this is ridiculous, but there's no escaping the fact that a considerable amount of modern Britain was built off the back of the slave trade, and what did these people get from that huge wealth, a simple "OK you're free now, off you go" while the likes of Dave Cameron got a family fortune out of it to the point of him rising to become the prime minister of of Great Britain.

It's all relative.
Oh god, please not another leftie lunatic. Do you know F1Fan?
Old 30 September 2015, 08:20 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All well and good folks sitting at home in the UK thinking this is ridiculous, but there's no escaping the fact that a considerable amount of modern Britain was built off the back of the slave trade, and what did these people get from that huge wealth, a simple "OK you're free now, off you go" while the likes of Dave Cameron in fact it was the slave owners (black or white) who were compensated - to the tune of billions in todays moneygot a family fortune out of it to the point of him rising to become the prime minister of of Great Britain.

It's all relative.
in fact it was the slave owners (black and white) that received compensation

presumably from the good old "tax payer"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-8508358.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...as-banned.html

a state bailout for a bankrupt industry - sound familiar

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 September 2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:32 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
in fact it was the slave owners (black and white) that received compensation

presumably from the good old "tax payer"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-8508358.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...as-banned.html

a state bailout for a bankrupt industry - sound familiar
Loving the last statement on the first article, "It's like the rich protecting the rich" No **** sherlock.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Oh god, please not another leftie lunatic. Do you know F1Fan?
Not personally, but I do know an awful lot of Jamaicans still living in wooden huts with with corrugated zinc roofs no toilet or running water and not much in the way of an education and no shoes on their feet.

Nothing much has changed for them since they were abandoned on a island in the caribbean, where as their former "owners" ancestors have gone on to do quite nicely by all accounts.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Two points ditchy:

1. In many, many cases, no white man went and "captured" slaves, they had neither the time, nor the resources. Most were sold into slavery by their own, or other tribes who did go out and capture them.

2. Three years ago, on Barbados, I spoke to quite a few Barbadians, and each time, asked them, "How do you feel about the fact that your ancestors may have been slaves?"
To a man and a woman, each gave the same answer....."It's not good that they were slaves, but their sacrifice has helped me: I'd rather live here than in Africa....!"

So...depends on your perspective.
Old 30 September 2015, 09:08 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Two points ditchy:

1. In many, many cases, no white man went and "captured" slaves, they had neither the time, nor the resources. Most were sold into slavery by their own, or other tribes who did go out and capture them.

2. Three years ago, on Barbados, I spoke to quite a few Barbadians, and each time, asked them, "How do you feel about the fact that your ancestors may have been slaves?"
To a man and a woman, each gave the same answer....."It's not good that they were slaves, but their sacrifice has helped me: I'd rather live here than in Africa....!"

So...depends on your perspective.
It's terrible the things that a nation does to it's own people, but that doesn't change the fact that there wouldn't have been a Slave trade if there weren't people buying them, supply and demand.

Asking someone if they'd rather be poor in Africa or Barbados isn't much of a choice, especially considering they only have experience of Barbados, their perspective is always going to be one sided. I suspect if you loaded the question slightly differently and asked would they rater be rich in Africa or poor in Barbados, they'd have all answered Africa.
Old 30 September 2015, 09:31 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Strip out low paid tourism jobs , serving your g&t, and it wouldn't look so pretty for them
Old 30 September 2015, 10:14 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

It's terrible the things that a nation does to it's own people, but that doesn't change the fact that there wouldn't have been a Slave trade if there weren't people buying them, supply and demand.
That's a bit chicken and egg though, to single one group out as being responsible isn't really a true reflection of events.
Old 30 September 2015, 10:36 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

We did it with guns

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/0...ple-as-slaves/

Made an industry out of it

Last edited by dpb; 30 September 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 30 September 2015, 10:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well, I've read some lefty liberal stuff in my time, but the above just about takes it for inanity.
Old 30 September 2015, 11:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Asking someone if they'd rather be poor in Africa or Barbados isn't much of a choice, especially considering they only have experience of Barbados, their perspective is always going to be one sided. I suspect if you loaded the question slightly differently and asked would they rater be rich in Africa or poor in Barbados, they'd have all answered Africa.
Doesn't work. For a start they don't see themselves as poor, they love the place, (and what's not to love), they have jobs, decent climate, homes, no tribal warfare, no corrupt governments, no white interference, plus they have their cricket!.

I reckon most would vote to stay in Barbados.
Old 30 September 2015, 11:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Whats past has passed, it was a different time to now. people need to let things go, learn from them and move on.

if you don't you end up with tribal eye for an eye and tit for tat
Old 30 September 2015, 11:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Doesn't work. For a start they don't see themselves as poor, they love the place, (and what's not to love), they have jobs, decent climate, homes, no tribal warfare, no corrupt governments, no white interference, plus they have their cricket!.

So they should be godamn grateful we've given them chance of civilisation
Old 30 September 2015, 11:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I guess we're redressing the balance a bit by employing those unfortunate polish brutes in an effort to improve themselves
Old 30 September 2015, 11:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

How much is a cruise from Africa to Jamaica? They can knock that off the bill.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Whats past has passed, it was a different time to now. people need to let things go, learn from them and move on.

if you don't you end up with tribal eye for an eye and tit for tat
Tell that to Jimmy Savils victims.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
How much is a cruise from Africa to Jamaica? They can knock that off the bill.
Well that's got to go down as one of the funniest posts ever on Snet.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Mr jack apple , exploiting the third world like modern day coke cola
Old 30 September 2015, 05:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's all rosie in the garden for those that work in and around the hotels etc but I wouldn't expect them to say anything else to a tourist.

I don't have any experience of Barbados, so I can't really comment on their way of life.

I do however have extensive knowledge of Jamaica, having spent a considerable amount of time there due to the fact that my father was from there, I have lived there as a local and even went to school there for a short while, travelled the whole island, speak the language fluently because of the time I spent there as a child and the fact that my dad never sold out and always spoke patwa, I have seen the side no tourist would ever be able to, and it ain't pretty, it's also why they strongly advise tourists to stay inside the resorts or at least very close to them, and when they do go out, they do so with known taxi drivers / guides or organised trips.
Old 30 September 2015, 05:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

As a distant ancestor of noblemen dispossessed during the French Revolution, I will be petioning the current (and illegitimate!) government of France for restitution of the family's feudal lands and holdings, which had been in our possession for centuries. I will also be demanding compensation for the barbarous execution of my forefathers at the hands of the revolutionary mob.

Could save me a fortune on buying a holiday home in the Languedoc, so got to be worth a punt
Old 30 September 2015, 06:23 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I would agree with some of the comments above if those involved were still suffering in poverty, but the fact is none of you are, also we are all still enjoying some of the benefits of the victorian era, however the reverse is true for the vast majority of the ancestors of slaves in Jamaica, you only have to look at how the people are living in the link to get some idea of the conditions there, and that's by no means the worst of it.

As shown in this thread it's the old, I'm alright jack mentality, that was then this is now, but the fact is people are still suffering as a result of our fore fathers actions, however dislocated some would like us all to be from that reality, I'll say it again, it's all relative.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Pretty cynical to offer 'contribute' only by throwing up a prison for ourselves on their island , neatly deporting less desirable Londoners
Old 30 September 2015, 08:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I would agree with some of the comments above if those involved were still suffering in poverty, but the fact is none of you are, also we are all still enjoying some of the benefits of the victorian era, however the reverse is true for the vast majority of the ancestors of slaves in Jamaica, you only have to look at how the people are living in the link to get some idea of the conditions there, and that's by no means the worst of it.

As shown in this thread it's the old, I'm alright jack mentality, that was then this is now, but the fact is people are still suffering as a result of our fore fathers actions, however dislocated some would like us all to be from that reality, I'll say it again, it's all relative.
So you're 100% certain that if the same ancestors of the same former slaves of dozens of generations ago were still living in their ancestors' original homeland instead of the Caribbean, they'd be living a life of plenty, without war, disease, political oppression, etc etc? That's if they were living at all, of course, since there's absolutely no guarantee at all that their bloodline would have made it into the 21st Century (or even the 20th, or the 19th, for that matter).

Sometimes it's all too easy to confuse cynicism with basic common sense and realism.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

50% didn't even make to the other side you numptie ..

How does that fit into your argument
Old 30 September 2015, 08:47 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
50% didn't even make to the other side you numptie ..

How does that fit into your argument
So? Millions upon millions of people have been killed in wars or through neglect of various sorts all across the world in the centuries since these things took place. Are you going to spend the rest of eternity trying to determine who was to blame for each of their deaths too, and go chasing their nearest living relatives for compensation now, god knows how many generations later? Or even more absurd, since this is what's really being suggested here, chase the governments of the countries their descendants happen to live in now for that compensation, even though their forefathers in many or most cases weren't even acting in the name of the state at the time? Terrible things have happened throughout human history, the true definition of a numpty is someone who thinks they can or should all be put right, no matter how much time has elapsed since.

Quick Reply: Never mind our EU contributions ....