Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Lohifushi resort in the Maldives ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2005, 04:23 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Lohifushi resort in the Maldives ?

Hello !

As per the title really, am looking to go there later this year....

Dave
Old 01 February 2005, 04:33 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Have you checked it's still there?
Old 01 February 2005, 04:42 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

I think there Monsoon season begins in August so try not to leave it too late in the year.

It's not the Island your speaking of but this web site is a good one www.meeru.co.uk

Myself and the missus were planning on going to Meeru (Meerufenfushi) early next year but what with recent events we're keeping an eye on things before we book.

From what I've heard most of the Maldivian Islands were affected in some way or another.
Old 01 February 2005, 05:02 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Apparently Lohifushi has not been affected at all by the Tsunami. Thats what the agent has told me and i have it printed out off the website

Looking to go late April/early may.

Dave
Old 01 February 2005, 06:08 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Depends what you're after - Lohifushi is at the lower end of the market (there are always 'deals' on for it and availability). You get what you pay for.

We went there c3 years ago and were a bit disappointed TBH. The huts are all quite average (think 70s style hotel room), low quality restaurants (more below) and a very average bar/ night life.

The island is about 2 hours spped boat from Male - in what is quite a busy part of the Maldives. i.e. the diving is nice but not as nice as the spots nearer the edges of the islands.

We went half board and were glad we did - people on full board kept complaining as the main restaurant is more of a 2/3 star hotel event, virtually the same food every day and pretty average. There is one other cafe/restaurant that is a bit nicer in the evening and not that dear - we tended to snack at lunch anyway. Drinks are dear - and the only reason why full board might be interesting - but you'd have to drink a lot to make it worthwhile.

There is a decent PADI dive school on the island (my other half learnt there) and there is surfing off the tip of the island. I wouldn't go there unless you're going to dive - you'll go stir crazy on what is a pretty small and scruffy island otherwise.

We went to (the One and Only) Kanuhura the year before last in December - stunning. Water plane from Male - so cool it even has its own island time, stunning white private beaches, outdoor marble bathrooms and stunning four poster beds etc - can't recommend it enough, The diving is excellent (and helped by the fact that most on the island are honeymooning so i had the dive boat and crew to myself most days - it's hard to describe how magical diving with green turtles in the Indian Ocean is.....). Food stunning (again, we were half board) with 4 restaurants to choose from and real 5 star cooking and entertainment.

http://www.oneandonlykanuhura.com/

More general stuff - water bungalows aren't worth the extra IMO (many we've seen are smaller than the better accommodation on the beaches and are often mud-stranded or too high to really swim from/ crowded together). Don't worry about money - it's all done on credit card (and the better islands include a pre-agreed tip). Take lots of books and chill out!!!

Have fun!

Gordo
Old 01 February 2005, 06:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile Just in case of the Tsunami have this link for you.

http://www.padi.com/english/ap/news/...sunami_Update/
Old 01 February 2005, 07:21 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info. Just booked Lohifushi for 7 nights at 500 quid each B&B inc. flights.

Whats the best thing to do for money ? Convert GBP to Maldive Rufiyaa's and take cash or take USD and convert it on the island ? I have heard you get better exchange rates on USD. I also heard that you can get stung in some places for credit card charges.

Dave
Old 01 February 2005, 07:29 PM
[Chris]
Scooby Regular

www.tripadvisor.com
Old 01 February 2005, 07:40 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Ive been to the Kuramathi island the maldives is just fantastic
Old 02 February 2005, 11:26 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

You didn't read my post, did you?

You don't need much cash - minimal for tips at the end of the week is all. Everything gets put on your room bill (you sign for food, drinks, diving etc) - and you pay it in one at the end with the credit card. No silly credit card charges - it's fine.

G
Old 02 February 2005, 12:26 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

We went to Lohifushi about 7 years ago after a 10 day tour around Sri Lanka - we loved it - absolutely great, we paid extra (on advice from Thomas cook) for a luxury bungalow and as posted above it was definately worth the extra as the 'normal' rooms were a bit low rent.

We found the restaurants good enough, and the island generally OK - you dont need any maldivan cash at all - just take a few US$ to buy stuff in the hotel shop, extra tips etc.

The jetty was cool - swimming & excellent snorkelling straight off the end of the jetty - the diving was very good too, with a good crew. You can do try drives off the jetty with the dive shop.

I imagine there ARE better islands/resorts - but boy do you pay for them!

80 out of 100 for me - especially for the money.
Old 02 February 2005, 06:30 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Gordo

Did read your post but found some other info from google so i thought i would double check.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave
Old 02 February 2005, 07:22 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Oh no! U only went B&B???? For the maldives u should have definietly gone all inclusive. I went last year, and all our meals and drinks were included in the price. However, i did buy a Magnum ice cream at the hotel which cost me almost £5- so i'd hate to think what a meal would cost you????
Old 29 March 2005, 10:58 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Update - after booking and being explicitly told that there was no damage on the island, we got the final confirmation that told us there could be 24 hour building work going on up to 31 May due to damage from the Tsunami.

So after a lot of arguing and me standing firm, the travel agent has agreed to give us a holiday on the same dates to a different resort - Meeru as was mentioned above - for no extra cost. Got half board aswell, and currently looking into an upgrade to full board.

Dave
Old 17 May 2005, 09:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

What a coincidence Dave. We live in Berkshire and went to Meeru for 2 weeks in April. We stayed 1 week in a land villa and 1 week in a water villa. Loved it.

How did you find it?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 17 May 2005, 11:24 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We were very lucky in that we went to Meedhuparu for our honeymoon right before they worked out how good it was

All inclusive and absolutely stunning - food was awesome - your own waiter... within moments of walking in, your favourite FREEZING cold drink waiting for you.... wow....

You do pay for it tho', but by heck it was worth it!