Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whose been to the Maldives?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 08:35 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose been to the Maldives?

Was looking at the Carribean but the more and more I see the Maldives on the telly the more it appeals. My kinda holiday is chilling by the beach, snorkelling, sunbathing and just general peace and quiet.

Looking to go around April 2005.

Ive heard a few people say that there isnt much to do so two weeks there is pushing it. But I see you can get boats to the main island Male and seaplanes etc to visit other islands.

Anyone been and can confirm what the weather is like in april, recommend where to stay and what you got up too? I quite like the look of Kurumba Village resort.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 08 September 2004, 08:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oh and before anyone suggests the rangali hilton or similar - looking at max budget pp of £1,400.

Simon.
Old 08 September 2004, 09:07 AM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

We Homeymooned in the Maldives earlier this year (July) and were totally bowled over by the place. Both myself and my wife have travelled extensively and we both agree that the Maldives are one of the few places on the planet that have to be seen to be believed. The seas & beaches are breathtaking and you can enjoy them in a non touristy kind of way unlike the Caribean etc. We stayed on Medhufushi which is in the south Meemu atol, aprox. 40min seaplane from Male. Our island paradise was only built in 2000 and has been finished to a very high 4-5* standard. As July is slap bang in the middle of the south monsson season, the island which can accomodate 210 people was only half occupied. This meant that you had stretches of beach to yourselves and upgrades a plenty. We originally paid for a delux beach villa which was beautiful and right on the beach. However, we were offered an upgrade to water bungalows out in the lagoon at no extra charge as they were unoccupied. The staff service and quality of cuisine on the islands in 2nd to none and Medhufushi is right up there with the best apparently. With regard to the weather, we were a little aprehensive about going in July as we were told it could storm for a week at a time during monsoon season. We actually had only 2 days of solid rain which didn't stop us swimming etc. as the sea temps. were very high and after these had glorious sunshine for the remainder of our stay. As you mention, there is not a lot to do other than soak up the sun, read, swim, snorkel, dive or try out the watersports. This is not a problem though, as we stayed for 2 weeks and were not bored once. The only time that you might find it boring is in the evening as there is not a lot to do. After a late dinner we use to walk out to the bar out on stilts over the lagoon and sip cocktails whilst watching the fish (turtles, rays, tuna, batfish, parrot fish, scorpion fish etc.). On two nights of the week we had Hermit Crab racing which is a good laugh and won us a few beers for our stay! The larger, more touristy resorts do have entertainment laid on but for me this would spoil the tranquility of this wonderful place. Different strokes for different folks though I guess.

It cost us approx. £4000 for the 2 weeks full board which is a must. I think we spent an extra £500 whilst there on drinks and watersports etc.

Sorry for the ramblings but hope you get the picture that we think the Maldives are incredible. Get yourself out there next April, you won't regret it.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:35 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thanks Biggins - it sounds just like I imagined.

Simon.
Old 08 September 2004, 11:09 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

My reply from a previous maldives thread. Suggest you do a search.

I went a couple of years ago in June.

On the mozzie side of things, as the island was so small, there used to be a guy each evening going around it with some kind of smoke machine in a wheelbarrow (probably an old nova engine ). There were still quite a lot of mozzies about, and the open air bathroom didnt help matters. Still, when the odd boring moment crops up, as it does on an island the size of a few football pitches, it was quite entertaining to kill a few in the room with a rolled up paper

Get as much repellant as you can and try to cover up a bit in the evenings, things like keeping the doors to your 'hut' closed with the aircon on helps as well.

Cant help with the prices of food **** etc as they were all included in the price to the place we went(thudufushi)

If youre into diving, its a great place to go. I wasnt,, but did the freebie dive, and to be honest you can see just as much snorkreling. The island we were on you could literally walk a few paces from your room to the sea front and swim out a few meters and see all the coral fish etc. After about 20 metres the shallow waters of the coral fell away to very deep water, where you could make out basking sharks turtles (non human kind ) manta rays etc. Loads of different types of fish. Was advised not to wear any jewlery whilst snorkeling, for the obvious reason of losing it and the not so obvious reason of a barracuda(?) noticing the glint and making towards it, the off chance being youd get their pointy snout in your throat.

Weather wise, we had about 2 hours max rain for the 14 nights, and everyday was sky blue.

try and bring all the shorts t shirts that u think youll need as items of clothing (basically anything at all, as it all has to be imported) can be expensive. All the currency you will ever need is US dollars.

The sun really will be scorching, and quite different to the 'sun' we get here, try not to go mad for the first few days, and when snorkeling make sure you cover your legs with waterproof suncream and wear a t shirt. For the whole fortnight we didnt have to wear footwear of any kind, so tell the mrs not to go mad with shoes.

Obvious but sometimes forgotten tips, bring aftersun, plenty of sunlotion, headache tablets immodium etc.

From memory it was about £1500 each, might have been less.

Asimple search on google on the island turned up, so theres probably plenty more info on the island on other sites http://www.aaa-resortsmaldives.com

Heres the one I went to http://www.planhotel.ch/thudu/
Have a good time

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 08 September 2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08 September 2004, 12:04 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd be bored ****less!
Old 08 September 2004, 12:18 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta - thanks for the info. Will search here for some more threads.

Davyboy - Lucky its not you wanting to go then.

Simon.
Old 08 September 2004, 01:14 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Davyboy, you couldn't afford it dear boy

I've been last Xmas. It was fan bloody tastic. All of the above, mossies not a problem if you wore repellant and didn't sleep near trees/shade. Our room was aircon and mossie free (don't leave door open and lights on obviously). Outside shower was fab - can see what naturists like now

Didn't dive as snorkelling just as good. Mine was all inc for £4-5k - had child as well. I did 10 days but could easily do 14. My island was called Paradise and it was. Done Cuba (it was cheap) but this is in a different class. Food was amazing, good entertainment if you wanted it.

Suprised to see so many different flavours of tourist - no Germans though but Japanese, Italians, loads of Russians (and their 'ho's) Americans etc.

It's on your life 'to do' list so get it ticked off!

F
Old 08 September 2004, 01:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
Davyboy, you couldn't afford it dear boy
...and I am jelous....don't forget that!
Old 08 September 2004, 01:47 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by davyboy
I'd be bored ****less!
Seriously, you wouldn't. The weird thing is that it is sooo fantastic that you actually get a decent chance to relax and unwind. i found that for the first few days I was panicking thinking I had made a HUGE mistake and that there is nothing to do, for the rest of the holiday I couldn't even be bothered to walk into the water (about 5 feet away).

All you need to take with you are books, sun tan cream and a lady.
Old 08 September 2004, 09:41 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

ive been twice now and so have a few other friends.

couple of must haves,

all inclusive including drinks, food and drink is so exspensive as it is all imported (except the fish).

Make sure you have air con and hot water, some friends paid about 1k pp and had neither.

We stayed both times at www.komandoo.com get the seaplane and say hi to the dive school peeps for me :-).

p.s learn to dive whilst you are out there so much big game its unreal.
Old 08 September 2004, 10:19 PM
womandriver
Scooby Regular

It's a must that you visit this place of paradise................. It is really like the pictures that you see, turquoise crystal clear sea and white sands.

We stayed in Meerufenfushi in the North Atoll, which took us three and a half hours on a local Dhoni boat........

Well worth a trip, we would like to return to these Islands of paradise next year....

Just do it...........
Old 08 September 2004, 10:25 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cannot recommend the Maldives enough.

We stayed at Meedhuparu for a fortnight for our Honeymoon 2 years ago... from the moment we landed at Male it was unforgettable (mind you that was partly due to George our bear getting his passport stamped... don't ask!)

The island was stunning.. you could walk around it in 30 minutes.. you had your own waiter who would know just what drink you wanted the moment you sat down... the service was awesome... the whole island is all inclusive (cost us about £3K all in inc flights) and we spent..ooo... $150 on extras.

We could walk out of our room onto the beach and relax all day... barely seeing anyone at all, or go snorkelling... and the variety of amount of fish you could see evey day!

Hints? Books! Take LOTS of books. Do NOT drink any of the water or even use it to clean your teeth - but bottled water is ALWAYS available.

Take a small torch with you for walking back along the beach at night... romance is wonderful but falling over ghost crabs is not recommended.

(in fact try and get a big torch, 'cos then you go fish spotting on the piers at night... we saw sharks feeding right off the pier one night)

When you get to the resort they have iced towels and REALLY cold drink waiting for you. Your luggage is taken to your room for you. When you leave they do you a wonderful packed lunch... and the whole time you are there you feel 'special'
Old 08 September 2004, 10:31 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Muddy is there at the moment
Old 09 September 2004, 08:34 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cheers people. Havent heard a bad word said against it yet. Just gotta find the best deal and will go ahead and book it.

Cant wait.

Simon.
Old 09 September 2004, 10:23 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

One word of warning! On Male don't get suckered into a drink at the bar next to the airport. It's not part of the inclusive package and V expensive. I asked the waiter how much and he didn't reply but just gave me the bill later One French I got talking to couple argued for ages with the waiter and I had to leave them to it. Still I guess it's the only chance of making any real money from the tourists on the main Island.

F
Old 09 September 2004, 11:01 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

Have been, would go again.
Would recommend flying with Emirates, and stopping over for a couple of days in Dubai.
Old 09 September 2004, 11:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Off work today so just been watching Thomas Cook TV Channel and a whole programme dedicated to Maldives Resorts. Plenty of cheap options saw £939 for 2 weeks if anyones interested.

Simon.
Old 09 September 2004, 02:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oh, whilst I remember - what jabs did people need to go to the Maldives?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 10 September 2004, 12:45 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Can't remember what jabs are needed, but Penny and I (weren't you and your good lady on our table at the ball this year??) are going to Paradise Island in 8 weeks - managed to get a water bunglow over the lagoon for a week for over £600 less than brocure price - got a total bargain and can't wait to go now.. we are counting down the days...

Old 10 September 2004, 03:45 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Oh, whilst I remember - what jabs did people need to go to the Maldives?

Thanks,
Simon.

Hep A, Typhoid, tetanus.
Need to get them about a month before you go
Old 21 September 2004, 10:07 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Yep, had them jabs

Shaggy, I went to Paradise Island too. I stayed on the other side of the Island where you can see the sunset like this:
and look out for this little fella:

F
Old 21 September 2004, 10:25 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Great place.

1 thing I would say is have a good look at the ones you fancy, they do vary (we did an Island hop thing) so you can find the balance of what you want on the scale of how built up / crowded you want.

Some are much more basic and deserted, others are more landscaped and you cant just roam where you want.

We went to the ari atol.

Another thing to look into, the boat transfer can be quite long from Male, so consider paying for the sea plane / helicopter. We went on both and the view from the sea plane was UNBELIEVABLE, it was a small 7 seater jobbie. Was also awesome when it landed lol.

maldives I think are a must go place for anyone who can afford it.

My missus and I both say a week there is more relaxing that a fortnight anywhere else. A fortnight in the maldives is just sooooooooooo relaxing

robski
Old 21 September 2004, 10:33 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

We have decided to go to Meeru Island (short for Meerufenfushi). Its in the North Male Atoll so not sure how it took someone 3.5 hrs from Male Airport???

We chose Meeru after speaking to a friend and his wife who went there last year. Plus there is a wealth of info about it - even their own uk BBS lol!!

Just waiting for Travel Agent to confirm booking for April 2005. Fingers crossed as cant wait

Simon.
Old 22 September 2004, 12:15 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Shaggy calling Floyd...

What's Paradise Island really like then - does it live up to its name? I want to know but don't to spoil things either.. with less than 7 weeks to go nowm we are starting to get excited wee, I have been for about 3 months already.. will be there for my 30th birthday and can't wait..

Love the photos, what camera did you use underwater? assuming you did, it looks that way. We are looking at getting some sunset / island photos, to get a friend to copy them into water colours for the house when we get back.

Old 23 September 2004, 12:16 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Sweet, all booked up. Flying with Qatar who get some great reviews. 1 week in land villa and 1 in water villa. Getting seaplane transfer as well which should be great for viewing all the islands from above.

Cant wait

Simon.
Old 23 September 2004, 12:21 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Was looking at the Carribean but the more and more I see the Maldives on the telly the more it appeals. My kinda holiday is chilling by the beach, snorkelling, sunbathing and just general peace and quiet.

Looking to go around April 2005.

Ive heard a few people say that there isnt much to do so two weeks there is pushing it. But I see you can get boats to the main island Male and seaplanes etc to visit other islands.

Anyone been and can confirm what the weather is like in april, recommend where to stay and what you got up too? I quite like the look of Kurumba Village resort.

Thanks,
Simon.
Been there.Very beautiful but not much to do apart from swimming activities.
Got a bit bored.
Old 23 September 2004, 08:37 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

The Island was really good and I'll find it hard to better it. When you get there they have to carry your bags so let them, and just sit down in reception and everything will be brought to you inc drinks when you book in.

Plenty to do if you want to or just relax. Snorkelling is great and you'll probably not need to dive. I took a cheap Nikon digital camera and used a special plastic bag to take underwater shots - this worked well and the camera didn't get wet!

The fish restaraunt is very good and the main one was better than expected. Do the free night fishing. Take part in the crab races and kayak races. Feed the sharks at night and have a great time.

F

F
Old 24 September 2004, 12:26 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

cheers Floyd, just what I wanted to hear.. we are taking snorkels etc with us, so there will be plenty of that (and I'm getting an Aquapac for my camera - I know this will keep my toy dry )

Think we are going to the fish place for my birthday (30th out there) and really looking forward to it - I love sea food

Think I may have an unfair advantage in the kayak racing though, I paddle here a couple of times a week.

We have taken your advice re things to do on board and I'm sure we'll have a great time.. will post pics when I get back

Old 24 September 2004, 12:54 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

I won the kayak race I was competing against about 20, 2man teams (inc women). The chap who partnered me was quite fit luckily, just as well as some of the teams were made up from British air crews who choose this Island to chill on. The male air stewards had their boyfriends with them and I wasn't going to be beaten by 'em

Everyone said they weren'y going to take it seriously - boll0cks. It got nasty out there I thought my lungs were going to burst!

Made the winning that much sweeter

F