Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Maldives weather??

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 12:43 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maldives weather??

Hi all, going to the Maldives next year, just trying to find out the best time of year to go?? I went 2 years ago in november, and it pi$$ed it down solid for 2 weeks! Dont wanna make the same mistake again!! The island is in the north, so anyone who's been there before let us know!! Cheers!
Old 27 May 2008, 12:49 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Google is your friend.

Seasonal Weather Averages : Weather Underground
Old 27 May 2008, 01:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Jan - March/April is the best bet if you want pure sunshine but this year many holidayers have reported quite a bit of rain during this period so its never guaranteed.

First time I went in the middle of April. It was awesome as the change between dry and wet seasons (avg temp is 30c all year round) and the indian ocean was as flat as a millpond for as far as you can see - as per this pic on a boat trip (a must do excursion btw):

IMG_2297 pictures from india photos on webshots

Be warned it is very hot. 40c and your very close to the Equator so full power sun and extremely easy to overdo it. Its very powerful. Take my advice and start out on a factor 40 sun lotion and work your way down.

Which Island are you going to? I went to Meeru in the North Male Atoll last time but me and the girlfriend are booked for 1 week Kuredu and 2nd week in Komandoo (very small 55 rooms) for Feb '09.

Oh and if your not booked on the seaplane for transfer to your hotel then book it - the views are amazing.

Simon

Last edited by P1Fanatic; 27 May 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: as I didnt see post starter has already been :)
Old 27 May 2008, 01:07 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, Kuredu is where we've booked too - looks good value for money, and yeah your right about the seaplane!! Think we will go for April. Honestly mate, the last time we went, I've never seen rain like it, and it really was all day every day!! The monsoon was running late, so we got the full force of it! It's still a great place, but want to come back with at least a tan this time!!!
Old 27 May 2008, 01:12 PM
manda3000gt
Scooby Regular

We went Sept '06, Stopped raining the day we got there after 3 weeks of solid rain and started again 2 weeks later on the afternoon we left , Absolute paradise we plan to go back but would look on Feb-April, 45min transfer in seaplane was superb watching them fly in shorts and barefeet.
Old 27 May 2008, 01:15 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

We went by speedboat last time, was gutted - I thought we were going on the plane!! Looking forward to it already!!
Old 27 May 2008, 01:17 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Youve booked but you havent decided what date???

Meeru was very nice, especially newer end for Adults only. Id go back but a) like to try another island and b) I went with my ex so kinda rules it out.

Had the opposite really. Complete sunshine other than a few isolated storms and the sun was a bit too intense at times. Deffo couldnt spend all day on a lounger as youd get fried.

My nextdoor neighbor went to Kuredu and liked it. Some of our friends went to Komandoo also and they said its the best place theyve been too and they travel a lot. Our worry was it was maybe too small for 2 weeks hence the split to sample both types of island.

What I would say about Kuredu is its one of the biggest. Make sure you do your homework on room types as the Island dont guarantee a room type it seems. We opted for the newer O villas and got our travel agent to specify this on our itinary in case of arguments. This gets you in the O resort which is over 18s only which we like as not one for trying to relax with kids running around screaming. Luckily Komandoo is an over 18's island so no kids anywhere

Simon
Old 27 May 2008, 01:18 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say - if your set on april go for start of the month as otherwise your asking for trouble. If you really want full on sun then your better of with jan-mar as historically these are the 3 driest months (as post #2 linkie shows).

Simon
Old 27 May 2008, 01:20 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We went late Aug / Early Sept and had one night of a rain storm and it was a storm - just the most incredible amount of water came down. You could actually hear the storm front as it came over the roof. Non of this namby pamby drizzle, light rain, heavy rain rubbish. It went from bone dry to turning on the tap on in 1 second flat.

I remember the pilots with the bare feet flying the sea-plane as well! The view is stunning when flying over and you're almost sorry to finish the flight.

We landed at midday and the guy next to me stood at the top of the stairs waiting for the transfer bus said "look at your feet". I was a bit puzzled as I couldn't SEE anything... he said "Precisely. No shadow"
Old 27 May 2008, 01:31 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Long story, but we had booked to go to Jamaica this year but the bird had a major car crash, we both used up all our holidays due to being at the hospital!! We tried to cancel and get our dippa back, but they said the best they can do is change it to next year, so that's what we are doing! Got to sort it out before the end of the week! didn't really fancy Jamaica in the first place to be honest, got talked in to it by her indoors!!