Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Maldives in July?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 02:31 PM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maldives in July?

My wife & I are off to the Maldives on our Honeymoon proper, a week on Saturday. We got married on 11.06.04 and have already had a mini honeymoon break in Barcelona after wedding.

We are staying at the MEDHUFUSHI ISLAND RESORT which is located in the Meemu atol (whatever that means). Has anyone on Scoobynet had the pleasure of staying here or have been to the Maldives at this time of year? We know it is monsoon season but have had no choice with dates as I run a small business and we shut down this fortnight. Hope to see a little sun and do plenty of snorkeling, diving and fishing whilst the wife reads her books!!!

Also, any idea of drinks prices etc. out there? I can imagine they are not cheap, fortunately we have gone full board so food should not be too much of an issue for us.

One last thing, Mosquitos!!!!!!! Do they spray the islands to rid them of the little critters or is it a slap on the repelant etc.??? They usually love me!

Cheers for any travel tips.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:37 AM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

I'm sure someone on SN has been to the Maldives. Any opinions, travel hints & tips welcome.
Old 01 July 2004, 10:13 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also going in 2 months for the 1st time........
Old 01 July 2004, 10:51 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Going there for my honeymoon hopefully next year.

enjoy it mate.
Old 01 July 2004, 11:02 AM
ALBOY
Scooby Regular

Went there last November as part of our honeymoon, superb place.

It is quite expensive for drinks, our bill came to about £850.00 for drinks and phonecalls and we didnt drink much or use the phone much.

Apart from that the food was superb and the water bungalow was out of this world, as was the crystal clear water.

Cant recommend enough, by the way we stayed at the Full Moon Beach Resort.

Hope this helps
Old 01 July 2004, 12:05 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

I went 5 years back to Kurumathi - totally amazing - all you need is a small bag with shorts, sandals, and a t shirt - oh yeah buckets of sun cream its fecking hot and humid once you get away from the beach.

If you are into snorkling take some fins, mask and snorkel - its like swimming in a fish tank!

Oh yeah - mind the stone fish and the sea snakes (most amusing {not} when you swim into them)

Have a good time.

Forgot to add july/aug/sep are rainy season - and when it rains - boy does it rain ! Dont worry it dries up pretty quick !

T.

PS. remember there are two speeds in the maldives - slow and stop.....

nuff said.
Old 01 July 2004, 01:33 PM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys!

Anyone like to comment on the Mozzi's?????
Old 01 July 2004, 01:39 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I went in January so can't help much but even then it rained. Not sure if I could have got any wetter if I had walked into the sea!

Fantastic bloody amazing place though. Take shorts, pants, swimming trunks and a library. you will not need anything else.

The islands are tiny. It will usually take you about 10 minutes to walk around the entire circumference taking it easy. In the first few days you are teraring your hair out thinking you've made a mistake and what are you going to DO for the rest of the holiday as you are so bored. Then you get into the maldives lifestyle and its too much effort to even get up for lunch (which is about 3 minutes away).

Top tip :- drag your feet along the sand if you are paddling. Stops you from standing on any nasty fish or eels!

You will never regret spending any money on going there and will be keen to return. Its just a shame that they are disappearing.

If you book via a german holiday company they are MUCH cheaper and you can get 3 weeks for the price of 2 english weeks. You would have to eat pickled cabbage on the plane though.
Old 01 July 2004, 01:44 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

I went years ago in july and also November ( a different year ) Fantastic no mozzies at all, July rained HARD for 3 of the days others had clouds shootiung past but still hot and pleasant. November was better but we went back (to different islands)

Fortunately went all in.

You will enjoy it. Scuba diving fantastic... a whale shark and rays on the same dive. Not the resort you 're going to, though. I think you are only a short trip from the air port (which is good).
Old 01 July 2004, 01:45 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

Been 4 times to date and can't recommend it enough.
Drinks are expensive and plan on at least £600-£800 (you'll be surprised how much water you get through) over a fortnight.
I haven't found mosquitoes to be much of a problem if you get one of those plug-in jobs for the room and cover yourself with repelant, especilly for the evening.
I would recommend snorkelling/diving boots even for just paddling around. The coral can be ruthless.
Don't forget to get loads of $1 bills for tipping. If you cant get any the cafe just outside the terminal will change you $10/$20 bills, as long as you give them a tip of course.

Enjoy

PS take a light waterproof. If you get caught in a shower on the open sea believe it or not you will feel cold, especially towards the end of the break!
Old 01 July 2004, 01:48 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gymbal
I think you are only a short trip from the air port (which is good).
Ain't that the truth. A two hour speedboat ride to the island sounds fantastic in the brochure but in reality the boat is only described as such becuase it has a motor and two hours of crashing from wave to wave is pretty grim.

No mosquitoes at all as far as I am aware.

The locals LOVE cricket and even if there are kids playing on a street corner (in Sri Lanka) there will be a tv station covering it.

Oh yeah, they like their food hot. Try a chilli omelette for breakfast.
Old 01 July 2004, 01:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs up

I went a couple of years ago in June.

On the mozzie side of things, as the island was so small, there used to be a guy each evening going around it with some kind of smoke machine in a wheelbarrow (probably an old nova engine ). There were still quite a lot of mozzies about, and the open air bathroom didnt help matters. Still, when the odd boring moment crops up, as it does on an island the size of a few football pitches, it was quite entertaining to kill a few in the room with a rolled up paper

Get as much repellant as you can and try to cover up a bit in the evenings, things like keeping the doors to your 'hut' closed with the aircon on helps as well.

Cant help with the prices of food **** etc as they were all included in the price to the place we went(thudufushi)

If youre into diving, its a great place to go. I wasnt,, but did the freebie dive, and to be honest you can see just as much snorkreling. The island we were on you could literally walk a few paces from your room to the sea front and swim out a few meters and see all the coral fish etc. After about 20 metres the shallow waters of the coral fell away to very deep water, where you could make out basking sharks turtles (non human kind ) manta rays etc. Loads of different types of fish. Was advised not to wear any jewlery whilst snorkeling, for the obvious reason of losing it and the not so obvious reason of a barracuda(?) noticing the glint and making towards it, the off chance being youd get their pointy snout in your throat.

Weather wise, we had about 2 hours max rain for the 14 nights, and everyday was sky blue.

try and bring all the shorts t shirts that u think youll need as items of clothing (basically anything at all, as it all has to be imported) can be expensive. All the currency you will ever need is US dollars.

The sun really will be scorching, and quite different to the 'sun' we get here, try not to go mad for the first few days, and when snorkeling make sure you cover your legs with waterproof suncream and wear a t shirt. For the whole fortnight we didnt have to wear footwear of any kind, so tell the mrs not to go mad with shoes.

Obvious but sometimes forgotten tips, bring aftersun, plenty of sunlotion, headache tablets immodium etc.

Asimple search on google on the island turned up, so theres probably plenty more info on the island on other sites http://www.aaa-resortsmaldives.com/m...shi/index.html

Have a good time