Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The most common 4 ways of nicking you are
1. laser
2. Camera
3. Vascar
4. Mini Gatso

Go for a geodesy And a laser diffuser. A radar/laser detector is pretty much useless against laser, unless you are lucky and it picks up the reflection from the car in front.

Nothing cept your eyes will save you from no 3, and a good radar detector will save you from mini gatso.

The new generation of speed cameras work on infra red, or strips in the road and so cannot be detected by a radar detector.

In the end it's down to risk reduction and how much you can afford.

To be fully 'protected' you would need a Bel 550, Geodesy, LE850 laser diffuser front and rear. Total cost 1000 quid

By that time it's probably easier not to speed in the first place.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 17 August 2001, 09:05 AM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a laser diffuser, what does it do exactly and is it legal ?

Also, more importantly, how much are they ?

Thanks for the education

Regards,
Scooby Spy
Old 17 August 2001, 09:15 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

The Bel Euro 550 is very good, but I still got nicked with it.

It picks up all the shop auto doors, and other bits and bobs, so I guess I must have switched it off, and got a NIP for 50 in a 30.

Sent it off, and Im still waiting for the outcome, but the moral is, the Bel is great for times when the cops are using a temporary Gatso, or whatever non-fixed detactors they use, as it will still detect it, whereas the Geodesy wont, but the Geodesy is probably easier to live with, and with the aerial attachement, also easier to place somewhere out of the way.

Ideally get both, and then have a difusser fitted too, as the law is sketchy on their use.

and before the usual exalted ones come along with a "50 in a 30" speach, it was on a frigging closed road, access to a few shops at the bottom of the road, so it was empty, no brats, nothing, and Im sure Ill recieve a nice hefty fine and plenty points for my sins.
Old 17 August 2001, 09:15 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

A laser Diffuser is a device that jams the incoming laser beam from the gun. The gun shows an error and cannot get a speed reading.

Networx did a group buy for about 240 quid a while back.

I did a little research into this a while ago.

The general public opinion is that these devices are illegal to use, not to own and that there are a number of offences that these theoretically fall under.

One of which is perverting the course of justice. The legal opinion on this is divided. Seeing as the units primary purpose is to remotely trigger automated garage doors, this charge is unlikely to stick. To the legal guy's knowledge no one has been prosecuted for this for owning a laser
diffuser.

The other main one is interferring with the ability for a police officer to do his job. This is the less serious, but carries more weight in terms of argument. However again it can be argued that jamming laser is the side effect of the units primary purpose and that by using other method(such as spotting it) you are also preventing the police officer from doing you for speeding.

The last one is that it is against the wireless and telegraphy act. This will not stand as there is no law against emitting light(we'd have to ban lightbulbs)

To His knowledge, no one has been prosecuted for the use of a laser diffuser

There's no doubt these devices are in a legal gray area(in that it's yet to be proven in court that they are or are not legal). But what is in no doubt is that you are far more likely to be caught speeding than you are caught for using a diffuser.

A camera van is hardly likely to come chasing after you, as is a cop on a motorway bridge. He'll just target someone else. The error codes produced on the gun are the same as when the gun get's a false reading due to relfection, sunlight or too much scatter. As long as you use it correctly i've been told by people who own them(including police officers) that there is little to signal that the police officer is being jammed.

Also once, installed they are very hard to spot, unless you know where to look and have a torch handy.
The police officially frown on these devices but privately most buy one, when then they see them working. To me that says everything that needs to be said on the legal issue.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 17 August 2001, 09:16 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Laser diffuser - jams the polices laser guns! so they dont get a speed reading

I have the Snooper SLD 920 - and I can assure u it works!

Legality - questionable - but no definitive answer - look on 'Speedtrapbible' web site

Cost of diffuser is £300, although Eurocar in Ossett Wakefield have it on offer at £225 - a 'must buy' item at that price. Easy to install - but get a car stereo place to fit - should not cost much.

Has the facility to be turned off - gives u audible warning - u slam brakes on.. trun it off and then police can get a reading off your car

I agree with the other chaps post - forget the Bel - there use is now becoming very limited.... with the new digital traps - they are a waste of time. I guess though it gives a little bit more comfort for those hidden gatso's - but then they should have a pre-warning on the stretch of road prior to the Gatso - and secondly, Pedro from Portugal was driving the car at the time if I get caught!..... so I cant be done... seriously if u have a friend in Europe, and there address use them... the police have no juristiction over them!

So go for Geodesy and Jammer - unsure about the merits of a rear facing one... Could only be mounted somewhere on rear parcel shelf as no where really on bumper - unless hanging underneath- latched on - they normally get u from the front - but then they also like to sit up motorway junction hardshoulders..... slow down at all motorway junctions.... you've been warned.....
Old 17 August 2001, 12:35 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have been reading the threads on the great deals from Networx for these 2 products.

Even though I haven't bought my Scoob yet, I am seriously considering getting one of these for my current car !

But.....

Which one is the better one to go for ?

I realise that they are different, one detects Gatsos and Hand Lasers whilst the other has a DB of Fixed Cameras.

Not wantong to, or affording to buy both, which would be the one that is most accurate, comprehensive and reliable.

At the end of the day, which one is more likely to prevent me (or anyone else who buys one) getting a speeding ticket ??

BTW, does the Geodesy DB cover Europe as well, like the 550 ?

Thanks for all the great advice I know you are going to give !!

Scooby Spy

[This message has been edited by Scooby_Spy (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 17 August 2001, 12:46 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

Beware the treat detector users worse than drink drivers

I have a snooper 815 and swear by it the only thing better to protect you from plod is

Phil

[This message has been edited by phil_stephens (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 17 August 2001, 07:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Any chance of another diffuser group buy (hello, Networx?). Better still, diffuser plus Geodesy at a bargain basement price?

mb