Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it just me that gets out of the way of everyone else when walking?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 04:59 PM
HighlandLaddie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me that gets out of the way of everyone else when walking?

Walking along the street with my pregnant partner - side by side.
Obviously quite often come across others walking towards us, who are also side by side.

Now, why is it always ME who gets out of the way - and lets the other people continue to walk side by side????

However, today, tried an experiment and stood my ground - at which point I end up bumping into said people, and they tut-tut at me?? WTF?
You didn't get out my way either, so how is it my fault??? Same happened countless times in my "experiment".

btw, pregant partner, and I'm 6'6" and could be classed as heavyweight category
Old 22 August 2004, 05:03 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you can always tell the people that arent going to move as you approach them! imo

Old 22 August 2004, 05:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I often think this too! I put it down to me dashing about the high St in my lunch hour and going faster than the ambling shoppers...
Old 22 August 2004, 05:06 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Always happens to me too, if I don't move out of the way, I get shouldered by people or hit by shopping bags, bruises on legs later as proof

It gets to the point where you feel invisible sometimes
Old 22 August 2004, 05:11 PM
yoza
BANNED

Im quite the opposite, people often cross the road to get out of my way.

Seriously though, people do make a concerted effort to move out of my way, dont know why.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:13 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Because you look big and scary Yoza
Old 22 August 2004, 05:16 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Because you look big and scary Yoza
... and you're a Hom.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:21 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

People even used to bash into me when I was pregnant too, it really hurt sometimes if they caught me in the stomach with elbows or bags, Ray had a go a couple of occasions because of this, it's not like you couldn't have seen my bump, some people are so ignorant
Old 22 August 2004, 05:22 PM
yoza
BANNED

My bird says I look permanently pi55ed off, and aggressive, even more so now I have shaved all my hair off (head and face only )......(shrugs)

As for being big, Ive lost weight and size since we last met (down to 17 stone 8 pound ), not been building for six months now, no drugs , no special diets, no 6 day a week rountines, just seem to have lost drive.

I blame her for getting pregnant.

Big comeback once the baby is born (9 weeks left).

Ive been told that the gym will be the best place to be...if you get my drift.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:22 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Seriously though, this is one thing that does annoy the hell out of me. If the people are old or genuinely blind and don't see me then I move out of the way. If they're just being obnoxious then my shoulder stays where it is and I just barge through because I'm at the point where I'm beyond caring and I'm getting as arrogant as the rest of society.

People (badly) steering shopping trolleys in supermarkets annoy me more. I would love to attach a cattle prod to the trolley which can easily be switched on and off, and accidentally 'bump' a few people with it armed. A trip to Tesco's would be so much more fun.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:26 PM
yoza
BANNED

LOL.

MinorThreat, you would know.

Werent you the one who turned up at the WaltonArms 'homs' night with your sister.

Yes, I heard you, " Just tell them your me bird."

I could see right through your smoke screen.

You had your eye on Ian, but he is with Nick, and youll have to fight for him, apparently he is quite 'HARD'......
Old 22 August 2004, 05:27 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
My bird says I look permanently pi55ed off, and aggressive, even more so now I have shaved all my hair off (head and face only )......(shrugs)

As for being big, Ive lost weight and size since we last met (down to 17 stone 8 pound ), not been building for six months now, no drugs , no special diets, no 6 day a week rountines, just seem to have lost drive.

I blame her for getting pregnant.

Big comeback once the baby is born (9 weeks left).

Ive been told that the gym will be the best place to be...if you get my drift.
Yoza, I didn't mean big in that way, I meant as in tall (Taller than me ! ) and muscly
You had a bit of hair and a beard when I met you at Birchwood (First Blackpool meet )

Good luck with the baby Yoza
Old 22 August 2004, 05:32 PM
yoza
BANNED

Fanx, scary or what.

Still plenty of time to get a one way flight to Lanzorote........
Old 22 August 2004, 05:34 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

LOL.

MinorThreat, you would know.

Werent you the one who turned up at the WaltonArms 'homs' night with your sister.

Yes, I heard you, " Just tell them your me bird."

I could see right through your smoke screen.

You had your eye on Ian, but he is with Nick, and youll have to fight for him, apparently he is quite 'HARD'......
PMSL! Yep, that was me, the big ******* with the, ahem, "bird".
Old 22 August 2004, 05:37 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Fanx, scary or what.

Still plenty of time to get a one way flight to Lanzorote........
You still don't remember me though

*Sonic* does though...he came to the loos with me
Old 22 August 2004, 05:43 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

IME other people normally move a little and I move a little if needs be. If you were walking right in the middle and the people coming towards you were more to one side then they would expect you to move to the other side normally. I think you need to make your experiment a little more scientific.
Old 22 August 2004, 06:02 PM
HighlandLaddie
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gsm1
IME other people normally move a little and I move a little if needs be. If you were walking right in the middle and the people coming towards you were more to one side then they would expect you to move to the other side normally. I think you need to make your experiment a little more scientific.
No, this is a situation where the pavement is only wide enough for 2-3 people - so SOMEONE has to go single file.
Old 22 August 2004, 09:02 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

never had the problem either, then again im 6'10". my misses walks behind me when were in really busy shopping centers cos everyone gets out of my way lol.
Old 22 August 2004, 09:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I get the same thing. Well, I used to.

I'm not very tall - about 5' 9. But I'm 14 stone of, well, not bragging, but muscle. I used to have a shaved head ,but not anymore.

It used to wind me up no end, especially when wifey was preggers, and even now, they'll try and barge my 4-yr old out of the way , but now I treat each example on a person-by-person basis. As mentioned earlier, you can usually tell the ignorant ones who won't get out of the way They get a variation of shoulder barge - the immovable object

Not all the time, but the ignorant ones need to reminded of courtesy and manners (IMHO)

Dan

edited to add that it's not just blokes/lads, but also "ladies" - well, females..
Another society-issue
Old 22 August 2004, 09:27 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

and even now, they'll try and barge my 4-yr old out of the way
We get that with our four year old too, sometimes, on occasion , it has even gone far enough for bags to hit my two year old in the head while sleeping in the buggy and ended up with a bruised head Once someone even knoched and banged the head of our baby when she was being caried in her car seat when she was about three or four months old, makes your bladdy blood boil, it does !
Old 22 August 2004, 09:54 PM
HighlandLaddie
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, of course, I can barge & shoulder-bump like the best of them....and I sometimes do if some people who look fit & healthy choose to not budge.
Old 23 August 2004, 08:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its even worse for the disabled amonst us, I have to walk with an arm crutch but I find that others just try to walk straight through me too. I don't know if they just don't look where they are going or don't care anyway. They don't seem to realise that disabled people usually can't change direction as quickly as others. I regularly get pushed out of the way and its very difficult to keep my balance at times. The worse thing is when people try to beat you to a gap and knock you over when doing it!

I was brought up to give anyone who is disabled priority and to give them plenty of room.

Les
Old 23 August 2004, 01:12 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I get a strange version of this when queing for a coffee at at the footy ground.

Some numpty has designed the main concourse under the stands so all the queues for the canteen 's bookies et al run straight across at right angles so there is a constant fight to push through the queues to the bogs or to make progress down the concourse.
If i stand in said queue everyone makes to push through exactly where I am standing regardless of how far forward or back in the queue i am standing.
I have even experimented standing as close as possible to the person in front (without causing offense naturally) so there is no obvious gap to exploit but it makes no difference at all.

I am 6 foot two and reasonably well built so i either stand out as a soft git (they may have a point here) or there is a law somewhere that everyone knows about except me or i am in my own version of the Truman show.

As far as walking down the street goes i always second guess as i do when driving it saves alot of time and stops the dithering "you first no you first " scenarios although i will make an exception for teenage "hardcase" gangs who try to walk side by side regardless of whats coming the other way
Old 23 August 2004, 01:23 PM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread. Funny enough despite being relatively small, I never have problems in crowded streets. I think it comes down to attitude and subtle body language.

I read somewhere once that if you lean slightly as someone is walking towards you, you can steer them out of your way. Can't remember which way the steering works though, give it a try. Make it subtle though...

Screwd.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:28 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

They'll move if you stand up straight, eyes forward, purposeful walk.

I often, when walking towards someone as they walk towards me say; "hello". They panic and don't know what to do. Ignorant f$cks never heard of manners or courtesy. I can tell they're thinking "Egghgh I dunt know 'im, ****".

Eyes forward, face with purpose. They'll move.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:29 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

About a year ago I was walking down the street and came up against a young mother and her young son (about 3 or so). Moved out of the way for her and the little lad, little lad moves into my path, I stop, and for my troubles get a bloody whach in the nuts from this little hooligan. He laffs and mother thinks it hilarious.....I wasn't amused. Even if you doo try you don't get thanks.
Old 23 August 2004, 01:42 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Does anyone see the irony of all you lot saying you don't get out of the way for people, and complaining that no one else does either
Old 23 August 2004, 01:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I find Jack Boots and goose stepping works well for clearing the paths