Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private plates

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2021, 06:05 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Private plates

So ive been left with a bit of a dilemma, moral and personal. i had a quick search on here and couldnt immediately find any answers.

My dad died back in April, not covid but pancreatic cancer and its left me with a moral problem of whether i should sell his private number plate which is 6666DN.

Ive got say the numbers and intials arent personal to me we dont have the same intials, but does anyone know of a firm thats reputable and good.

Edit: i thought i should ask scoobynet before i commit to anything.

Last edited by lockheed; 29 August 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 29 August 2021, 06:33 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
So ive been left with a bit of a dilemma, moral and personal. i had a quick search on here and couldnt immediately find any answers.

My dad died back in April, not covid but pancreatic cancer and its left me with a moral problem of whether i should sell his private number plate which is 6666DN.

Ive got say the numbers and intials arent personal to me we dont have the same intials, but does anyone know of a firm thats reputable and good.

Edit: i thought i should ask scoobynet before i commit to anything.
sorry to hear that buddy,thoughts go out to you.

if the plate has no meaning to you and you can put the money to good use then i would sell it. drop calvin @ calvin car diaries from youtube (binca car sales on internet) a message, he says he always buys plates and keeps them just incase so worth a message. failing that ask around on pistonheads.

The following 2 users liked this post by the shreksta:
Old 29 August 2021, 06:47 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
sorry to hear that buddy,thoughts go out to you.

if the plate has no meaning to you and you can put the money to good use then i would sell it. drop calvin @ calvin car diaries from youtube (binca car sales on internet) a message, he says he always buys plates and keeps them just incase so worth a message. failing that ask around on pistonheads.
Thanks Matt, ill give it a go 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 29 August 2021, 07:17 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I had an old plate on retention for yrs so sold it on thru i think platehunter online, there's loads of firms online that'll give you a free valuation but they normally don't offer silly money to be fair unless they know they can make a killing on it, i had W66 TED and got offered 400 quid for it so took it, it was still up for sale online a couple of yrs later for 1200 quid
Old 29 August 2021, 07:46 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ted bass
I had an old plate on retention for yrs so sold it on thru i think platehunter online, there's loads of firms online that'll give you a free valuation but they normally don't offer silly money to be fair unless they know they can make a killing on it, i had W66 TED and got offered 400 quid for it so took it, it was still up for sale online a couple of yrs later for 1200 quid
Your right there are loads of firms, so many that i cant remember which one valued it at 5k.... Should have written it down.
W66 TED is a cool number.
Old 30 August 2021, 09:29 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Quick search chucks up these as a guide, 4444DN is up for good money, don't see why your plate of 6666DN can't be worth the around the same value hey.
Old 30 August 2021, 09:47 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Your right there are loads of firms, so many that i cant remember which one valued it at 5k.... Should have written it down.
W66 TED is a cool number.
Yeah i never should of sold the plate really as it was relevant to me ie name and also 66 being my year of birth but i already had another private plate on my scooby plus another one also on retention, how many plates does a person need really
Old 01 September 2021, 12:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I have quite a number of private plates as my late Dad was obsessed with the damn things; Would buy a vehicle just to get the plate, even going as far as putting a scrap vehicle on the road (Type 2 VW Van with no engine; of which he fitted a 1100cc Beetle engine to get it through MOT when it should have been a 1500cc...ironically the van is now worth more than the plate).

Two main plate companies will pop up on your internet searches:

First, Elite registration are amateurs, despite being around for years; My dad had nothing but issues trying to buy plates off them making **** ups on repeated occasions (I swear it's just some old dude working from a bedroom office). Their valuations for buying plates or to act as a dealer on your behalf is a p*sstake.

Regtransfers are a better more efficient operation. But still can massively undervalue plates in order to chase a profit.

I sold some of my dads plates on ebay. Put a reserve and make an offer. Sold two this way via accepted offers, and had to be relisted a few times and a third directly to the same ebayer. The buyer was a plate dealer and we settled a fair value Imo. Sorry can't find his eBay handle as it was good number of years ago.

The key thing is not to be greedy. It does have a good value, but you won't get the amount that the plate dealers advertise similar plates for. But you will get more than what the two mentioned companies try to offer you.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 September 2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01 September 2021, 04:45 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I have quite a number of private plates as my late Dad was obsessed with the damn things; Would buy a vehicle just to get the plate, even going as far as putting a scrap vehicle on the road (Type 2 VW Van with no engine; of which he fitted a 1100cc Beetle engine to get it through MOT when it should have been a 1500cc...ironically the van is now worth more than the plate).

Two main plate companies will pop up on your internet searches:

First, Elite registration are amateurs, despite being around for years; My dad had nothing but issues trying to buy plates off them making **** ups on repeated occasions (I swear it's just some old dude working from a bedroom office). Their valuations for buying plates or to act as a dealer on your behalf is a p*sstake.

Regtransfers are a better more efficient operation. But still can massively undervalue plates in order to chase a profit.

I sold some of my dads plates on ebay. Put a reserve and make an offer. Sold two this way via accepted offers, and had to be relisted a few times and a third directly to the same ebayer. The buyer was a plate dealer and we settled a fair value Imo. Sorry can't find his eBay handle as it was good number of years ago.

The key thing is not to be greedy. It does have a good value, but you won't get the amount that the plate dealers advertise similar plates for. But you will get more than what the two mentioned companies try to offer you.
Thanks Ali 👍
Old 05 October 2021, 06:38 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Quick search chucks up these as a guide, 4444DN is up for good money, don't see why your plate of 6666DN can't be worth the around the same value hey.
Cheers ted good advice, i didnt quite achieve the 4444DN price.......... But close, thanks and you were very close 👍 them their dealers want their mark up. I got 5.5 k for it.
Old 05 October 2021, 06:42 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ali, i went with Reg Transfers in end like you said , very easy to deal with.
Old 05 October 2021, 07:12 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Cheers ted good advice, i didnt quite achieve the 4444DN price.......... But close, thanks and you were very close 👍 them their dealers want their mark up. I got 5.5 k for it.
Not a bad result then hey
Old 05 October 2021, 07:29 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Not a bad result then hey
Not bad at all bud.
Scooby net still coming through for peeps in need of advice👍
Old 05 October 2021, 08:47 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Not bad at all bud.
Scooby net still coming through for peeps in need of advice👍
No worries bah, this thread about private plates has got me tempted to get mine off retention and finally put it on me scoobyim currently running BA55 TEO, near enough for for Ted Bass if you ask me, or a rude word if you read it how you wanna read itI've had BA55 WRX on retention for like probably 5 yrs but not got round to swapping it over as yet