Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying A Private Number Plate

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 09:06 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying A Private Number Plate

I've found a number plate I fancy on www.newreg.co.uk. I have just spoke to them and they say they are selling it on behalf of someone else, but would be prepared to put an offer in for the plate on my behalf.

My question is, is there anyway I can cut the middleman (ie them) out ? How could I find out who owns this plate and deal with them direct ?

Cheeky I know but though it was a question worth asking
Old 31 May 2005, 10:08 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
I've found a number plate I fancy on www.newreg.co.uk. I have just spoke to them and they say they are selling it on behalf of someone else, but would be prepared to put an offer in for the plate on my behalf.

My question is, is there anyway I can cut the middleman (ie them) out ? How could I find out who owns this plate and deal with them direct ?

Cheeky I know but though it was a question worth asking

they probably dont actually know who is selling as it probably on someones car and not for sale.

i have a cherished plate and spotted it for sale in a magazine so phoned and enquired and guess what? yes they said it belonged to a private seller and tried to sell me another one. i told them it was that specific one i was interested in got bored of thier blah blah and hung up an did no more. funny though

luke
Old 31 May 2005, 10:17 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Just a thought... have you looked on www.dvla-som.co.uk to see if it's one the DVLA are selling themselves?

A friend almost bought a reg number off a dealer, then at the last moment found out he could get it direct from the DVLA and saved some cash.

John.
Old 01 June 2005, 08:53 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look on dvla's website but it isn't showing up on there.

I'll see what develops if they accept my offer.
Old 01 June 2005, 09:10 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Got mines from the DVLA saved a couple of hundred quid
Old 01 June 2005, 10:14 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

You gotta be careful with some of these reg companies.I received a letter last year from a company I'd never heard of saying they had N1 OKA for sale. (Looks a bit like NICK A with a bit of spacing/tinkering)
I called the guy up and asked him how much to which he replied "Oh,it's on special offer,I've reduced it from £999 to £799 plus the £80 transfer fee"
I said to him that I'd seen that very number plate on DVLA's website a few weeks previous but he assured me he bought it and owned it.I put the phone down,went onto DVLA-SOM's website and lo and behold,it was there for £499 (INCLUDING the transfer fee!!!)
Not a bad little earner for him if he could have pulled it off mind!! (£380 profit)

A lot of these reg companies do however,own the plates,hence the reason why you don't see them for sale on DVLA-SOM