Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Damn, fractured tooth

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2014, 09:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Damn, fractured tooth

I have just found out I have a fractured front tooth under the gum line. I have a terrible bite and presume the shape of one of my teeth has finally put pressure on the bottom jaw tooth and broke it?

The dentist wants me to get a pallet as they don't do anything more but I want a screwed in tooth. How do I go about finding a dentist that will sort my gum as I really can't be done with a pallet even if it is a cheaper option.
Old 31 October 2014, 09:34 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are being done privately I am sure they would accommodate your request as it'll cost more money.
Old 31 October 2014, 09:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I see the problem here

You're on an iphone.
Old 31 October 2014, 10:13 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have just found out I have a fractured front tooth under the gum line. I have a terrible bite and presume the shape of one of my teeth has finally put pressure on the bottom jaw tooth and broke it?

The dentist wants me to get a pallet as they don't do anything more but I want a screwed in tooth. How do I go about finding a dentist that will sort my gum as I really can't be done with a pallet even if it is a cheaper option.
Front teeth invariably break due to dental decay or the effects of being heavily filled. Trauma can be responsible but without seeing the case it's difficult to comment.

I think you're referring to a removable partial denture as a pallet is a form of storage, a palate is something you have at the top of your mouth. There are lots of different types but some can fit very well.

Depending on the other teeth in your mouth the best option would probably be something colloquially referred to as a Maryland-type bridge, secured to another tooth or teeth by a metal/composite or ceramic wing.

I'm not sure what you mean by screw-in tooth as it could mean a dental implant (screws into bone, costs thousands of pounds) or a post-retained crown (placed down the canal of a viable tooth root, costs a minimum of hundreds of pounds).

If you want to drop me a PM with any more detailed information I might be able to advise you a little more accurately.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
If you are being done privately I am sure they would accommodate your request as it'll cost more money.
Is it a crime to provide bespoke private dentistry to people who seek a higher quality option to the limited options offered by a sometimes unsympathetic and often punitive health service system intent on recovering it's costs from patients?
Old 31 October 2014, 11:49 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Is it a crime to provide bespoke private dentistry to people who seek a higher quality option to the limited options offered by a sometimes unsympathetic and often punitive health service system intent on recovering it's costs from patients?
I assume you are a dentist otherwise you wouldn't have gotten so protective about my comment which for clarity was actually a positive comment offering the advise the OP wanted.

He made no comment if he was going private or NHS so advising him to ask his dentist if private was a good thing to advise since if he is paying he is more likely to get what he wants.

Maybe before reacting to a post you should understand it's meaning, mind you it's probably because I didn't type it in the mumbled fashion that dentists are used to having conversations in.
Old 31 October 2014, 11:52 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me a pic if you can and I can give you a few pointers..........it's sort of my day job.

Shaun
Old 01 November 2014, 12:17 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** the PM.
Post the pic up so we can all see
Old 01 November 2014, 12:31 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Go for the implant.... Yes its fecking expensive, but i had one a couple of years ago to replace a baby tooth that didn't have an adult tooth under it, (baby tooth lasted 42 years , so did quite well!) My implant is now quite possibly the strongest, most solid tooth I have... hahahaha

My dentist told me that implants are a bit ironic... The people who can afford them tend to be older/retired, but dont have the good bone structure/gum health to support them, but young people who need them and who have the healthy bone etc generally don't have the dough to buy them!
Old 01 November 2014, 12:35 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I assume you are a dentist otherwise you wouldn't have gotten so protective about my comment which for clarity was actually a positive comment offering the advise the OP wanted.

He made no comment if he was going private or NHS so advising him to ask his dentist if private was a good thing to advise since if he is paying he is more likely to get what he wants.

Maybe before reacting to a post you should understand it's meaning, mind you it's probably because I didn't type it in the mumbled fashion that dentists are used to having conversations in.
"Private" "accommodate your request" "cost more money". Yeah whatever mate.

Had you not got your outrageously generalised dig in at the end there, you could have fooled me
Old 01 November 2014, 12:36 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I spend quite a bit of time doing NHS implants for people who have retained baby teeth.....

Shaun
Old 01 November 2014, 12:38 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I spend quite a bit of time doing NHS implants for people who have retained baby teeth.....

Shaun
I was about to say that there is a framework in place for hypodontia and cases where teeth have been lost due to trauma or pathology...
Old 01 November 2014, 10:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Had you not got your outrageously generalised dig in at the end there, you could have fooled me
I would never try to fool a fool.....

I really think you need to get out more.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

How else did you buy the corworth and s202
Old 01 November 2014, 11:10 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
How else did you buy the corworth and s202
I'd love to say "by providing a handful of high cost implants every week"

But unfortunately I do so by working three jobs and assisting medico-legal work on the side, and can't claim to be a member of the 9-5 club.
Old 02 November 2014, 11:18 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a holiday in Thailand and get your implant done for less than a grand.

http://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/t...ttaya/implants
Old 02 November 2014, 11:47 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve have a chat with Midlife he's only at Carlisle so only a 1/2 hr drive from you all I can do is recommend him after he saw my family regarding their dentistry plus he recommended another dentist when my daughter went private to have some brace work on her teeth a couple of years ago.
Old 02 November 2014, 02:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gus, I will email some teeth pictures over and there not pretty I presume that once the tooth comes out that's when a new one will need to be sorted? I never realised an implant was a few thousand as I thought it was cheaper.

Rob, we were due to go to Thailand at Chrimbo but the airline cancelled my flights so now we are off to New York
Old 02 November 2014, 10:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Hi Gussy

If Steve is only a half hour away I guess it's my area as I cover half a million people including the Scottish Borders.

Hope you are well......

Cheers

Shaun
Old 02 November 2014, 11:47 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I live in Newcaslte so I'm a little more than what Gus, says
Old 03 November 2014, 02:21 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
Have a holiday in Thailand and get your implant done for less than a grand.

http://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/t...ttaya/implants
I'm sure there are bargains to be had from healthcare abroad but having personally picked up the pieces from several treatments carried out abroad both in hospital and in general practice, I can't say I'd recommend it. I've seen some shocking work return from India/China and quite... well "novel" approaches to treating fractured jaws from Thailand.

But I can recall work from Germany, Greece and Turkey that is absolutely top notch.

For the most part I genuinely believe that our country has the balance just right when it comes to approaching the way treatment is done here, generally clinicians on our shores are quite cautious and with that, ethically and morally conscious. More and more we tackle cases with an evidence-based approach and our emphasis is on recommending the most suitable treatment for the situation rather than what the insurance company will pay out for, or what gives the quickest result.

If an implant is your desired treatment it would always be a better idea to see someone like Shaun if you're seeking a treatment with that level of complexity. It takes years of training and patient follow up to achieve good results with them.
Old 03 November 2014, 09:46 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Shaun
Hmmmm, i was told that implants weren't covered by the NHS as it was considered cosmetic!, had to shell out Ł2,200 instead! I've got another baby tooth, but that ones solid at the mo! Thank ****!
Old 05 November 2014, 09:27 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Originally Posted by stevebt
I live in Newcaslte so I'm a little more than what Gus, says
Steve if you have a look on a map I live about the same distance from Carlisle as what you do probably further as you have a better road to come across on
Old 05 November 2014, 09:34 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Hi Gussy

If Steve is only a half hour away I guess it's my area as I cover half a million people including the Scottish Borders.

Hope you are well......

Cheers

Shaun
Im fine Shaun so are the family as I hope yours are, been quite few years since the old days at the sportsman's on a wednesday night……I remember the night you turned up in the impresa with blue neons and the car wiring started to melt I presume you still have it.