ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE help

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2012, 05:34 PM
LouisB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE help

I've just bought a WRX (2005) and looking into changing the speakers as the current ones (i think standards) distort at low volume levels.

Does anyone have any links to a half decent setup + what ever fittings i need?

For now I'm just going to keep the standard head unit. Unless it's worth changing?

I'm probably going to pay someone to install it all so any recommendations for someone around Middlesbrough/Hartlepool (NE) or a bit further out would be great

Cheers

Last edited by LouisB; 04 April 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06 April 2012, 10:18 PM
LouisB
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 10 April 2012, 05:25 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sounds in a standard scooby are a bit of a mess, to be honest.

I got my car with a Kenwood double DIN head unit and upgraded infinity speakers all round. It was only just acceptable like that.
I've swapped the Kenwood for my favoirte Pioneer DEH P88RSII head unit, which really is a top end headunit, and despite a bit of tweaking it is still only acceptable, the speakers are harsh but with a boomy bottom end. I can listen at low volumes, but it's not up to scratch. IT's a fine half way house if you just want to hear your music.

FOr real "sound quality" I think it's going to take:
Sound deaden doors (inner and outer skins - make enclosure) and boot (in a wagon)
Make up proper speaker mounts and baffles to accept 6.5" speakers in the front doors and tweeters up high on the mirror backs or else on the A-Pillars.
Amplify the lot - amps in the spare wheel well in a wagon, or on the seat backs in a Saloon.
Some sub solution - sub in the boot, or something clever involving small subs and the rear doors.

Subaru chose to leave out the sound deadening to keep the weight down and it shows in the amount of road roar. That's what you're competing against with your stereo. The way to compete is power, and that means amplication, and that means a whole lot of work!
Old 10 April 2012, 05:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/9314...-question.html
Old 10 April 2012, 05:28 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Sorry, to actually answer your question:

The things you need are a set of 5.25" component speakers (separate tweeters) and a decent head unit to run them off, as a minimum. Fitting an amplifier is hard work and beyond what many want to do in their cars, so you're reliant on the internal amp in the headunit being of good quality and powerful enough.
£20 on some sound deadening in the doors to help the front speakers will be money well soent too.

Budget? £200 - sky's the limit, but I'd say anything more than £150 on speakers and £150 on headunit is money wasted unless you start working on the car to quieten it down a bit.
Old 11 April 2012, 10:19 AM
LouisB
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help mate.

Are these the adaptors i need to allow 5.25" speakers in the front? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...-/110844577232

Where's the best place to mount the tweeters?
Old 11 April 2012, 02:31 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Yeah i've used those adaptors in the blobeye. The hawk has these fitted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3103515597...84.m1423.l2648

Tweeters depends on the car. The blob has them in the std position under the door card as there were brackets to fit them to. The hawk didn't have the brackets so they're mounted to the inner trim for the wing mirror (black triangular piece). The mounting point in the hawk does make the sound brighter but it depends if you're going for a stealth fit or not. I could have knocked some brackets up but couldn't be bothered and they look ok. It comes down to personal choice at the end of the day.
Old 12 April 2012, 07:18 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

on the mirror "sail panels" is generally "better" - it lifts the stage of the music so it sounds higher up and across the windscreen, not down by the dash or your knees. It's extra work though. the 2005 cars have brackets and the tweeters by the door handles, so use thouse if you want a straightforwards fit.